Revell 1/48 F-18C 425 Squadron Colour Bird

Love that scheme! I've flown that jet in those colours. The demo pilot was in my Flight that summer. If you need any reference pics, I might be able to dig up a couple - shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail them to you.

ALF

Alf, thanks for the offer, I'm not going all-out on this one, it's a stash-clearing build.

As to the build, i started on the cockpit, which is by far the best part of this kit:

14555332731_b3a7a6ee64_z.jpgRevell F-18C 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

And also discovered that I'd already picked up some bang seats for the build, so I suspect I'll be picking up another A and a two-holer to use up the seats (and the rest of the 1/48 CF-188 decals in my stash)

Gaps are puttied up and sanded down:

14372121149_c4a0ce5e3b_z.jpgRevell F-18C 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

resulting in this:

14555332451_3ed499c69b_z.jpgRevell F-18C 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

And I've modified the tails to approximate A model tails:

14535644086_916e10061e_z.jpgRevell F-18C 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Next up is the worst part of the kit, the intakes. Whoever designed them should have been fired. They're truly awful, and the fit is worse. Sad, when the rest of the kit is pretty good for a $20 Hornet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I am going to shave the nubs. Right now I'm still fighting gaps on the underside, the wings weren't bad compared to the disaster that is the intakes/main gear wells. Whoever designed those was hopefully fired, they take a kit that's acceptable for the money and move it into 'I really should have bought the Testors kit' territory.

mawz,

I believe what you're building is the same kit as the F-18A Blue Angels kit, except yours has "C" tails and is moulded in grey plastic. I started building one of the Blue Angels kits a couple of years ago. I am so disgusted with the fit, the kit is in long term storage until I feel the need to pull my hair out at the roots, drink excessively and turn into an incoherent, babbling mess lying in the corner of the room.

Good luck on this one.

Mike