1/48 L-39 Albatros

It's a very old MPM kit (at least mid-1990s). It can be built - I've seen it done to breathtaking results. But it's not an easy build. My kits both had the vacuformed canopies turn into useless yellow-orange messes. MPM had actually sent me nice clear replacements several years ago (they got lots of complaints).

It's still the only game in town, but be ready for a battle.

J

A friend of mine just completed two of them (MPM). There's nothing else on the market at the moment, but this kit is anything but easy to build. And that's a quote from a quite skilled modeler who build from scratch for living. I doubt that Eduard will come up with such kit since it's not profitable according to their CEO. The 1/72 kit has many flaws, so they'd better come up with brand new tool for that bird.

The MPM is is only one I know of. I have one to build down the track, out of box it looks fine.. I purchased the Linden Hill Decal set (the New Great Game)for the MPM set. It looks amazing with a couple of great marking for examples from the Caucasus, Russia, Africa and Central Asia (highly recommend).

Cheers

I have mine still in the box, unstarted. Fortunately, both of my vacuform canopies are still crystal clear and have not turned yellow. :pray:

I have the Extratech resin L-39ZA conversion, as well as the Extratech PE set and SiamScale decals for a Royal Thai Air Force L-39ZA, which is how I will be building mine. i think it looks so cool in their blue camouflage. Since the Thais used it to tow targets, I will put Hasegawa's RMU-10/A Reel Pod with TDU-10B Target under the wing.

Larry

Given that we've got recent kits from Asia of the T-38 and the L-29, perhaps it's not too much to hope that the much more popular (vs. the L-29) L-39 might see the light of day in the not too distant future. Right after, of course the

MIGHTY TWEET!!!

:)

J

• 5 months later...

I hope so. And I hope they don't screw it up. The L-39 and its derivatives are very widely used and really nifty little airplanes.

Of course first we still need a decent kit of....

MIGHTY TWEET!!!