What's your Holy Grail of models?

Where does it say it has to fly?

Cars are models too!

I thought this was an aviation modelling forum! You do know I was being sarcastic when I posted that, don't you (you do know what Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is, don't you?)

Agree, to me a Holy Grail kit is one that has been produced but is either very expensive or very difficult to find (or both).

By this criteria, I have all my grail kits. I was finally able to acquire a complete Aurora Moonbus a couple of years ago.

I thought this was an aviation modelling forum! You do know I was being sarcastic when I posted that, don't you (you do know what Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is, don't you?)

I forgot to hit my sarcasm tag as well.

;)

Constant fight to grow the auto side of this forum.

Agree, to me a Holy Grail kit is one that has been produced but is either very expensive or very difficult to find (or both).

By this definition, which I agree with, then Polar Light's 1/350 USS Enterprise NCC 1701, the TOS ship.

Edited by midnightprowler

1/48 P-3 Orion (big surprise coming from me...)

Multiple users Worldwide, 50+ years of painting and marking options, plenty of aftermarket potential to build various versions...and it's got props!

Even a 1/72 with recessed panel lines,updates, etc. would be amazing - but I'm totally with you on a 1/48 Orion (or an EP-3 - historically relevant and interesting).

A 1/48 Neptune is the only thing that would beat a big P-3 (and only because Kinetic was smart enough to put out their Stoofs).

Edited by PJFClifford

Even a 1/72 with recessed panel lines,updates, etc. would be amazing - but I'm totally with you on a 1/48 Orion (or an EP-3 - historically relevant and interesting).

What is this irrational desire for a scribed 1/72 Orion as the real aircraft has filled seams such that the present kit is actually fairly accurate on that point and people who rescribe them simply are not....

Edited by RCAFFAN

The 1/72 KC-135 kit that I designed and had tooled (correctly) to my specifications. Well, okay, about 40 of them. In all kinds of variants.

I'm going to bed now.

Edited by Jennings

A 1/72 Gulfstream V. It would be nice to see some modern biz jets!

Those guys are more secretive than the Skunk Works. And they won't even talk about licensing.

:wacko: Why not ask something simple like explaining Einsteins theory of relativity.....My Holy Grail....in all honesty it's been done...Tamiya's 1/32 P-51, however in the spirit if the thread....North American's F-108 "Rapier" in 1/32 as accurate as possible :woot.gif: man did it have possiblities!!!

To expound a bit; the real Holy Grail [for me], in reality wishful hopeful thinking would be a stable mate for Monovell's 1/48th B-one, in the form of a 1/48th Boeing B-52D. Make it a kit with options to go with either of the succeeding variants E/F/G/H; with a modular design to remove the top of the cockpit to show the work done in the office. Showing the Nav, Radar Nav (Bombardier), EWO, and da 'gunner positions would be a bit much although ya could do surgery to show those positions, if they were included. If HB can do the engines, radar, and open panels....well :whistle: , and a room addition to put it in :D .

I just found my Holy Grail kit!

A 1/72 A129 Mangusta prototype in the overall grey colour scheme AND a chin-mounted gun!

Didn't even know this kit existed till I started using this forum and now it's literally winging it's way to me via air mail! Saves me having to try and customise an existing Tamiya kit that I bought just for that purpose!

Think that's a nice way to sign off this forum now!

Edited by Tsubame

These past several years all the "holy grail" kits I've always wanted have been released. I think the only I'd really get excited about besides a proper remake of some kits is a 1/48 Pave Low and MH-47G.

Mine would be

1/24 - Pilatus PC-7

1/24 - Percival Provost

1/32 - Canadair Tutor (CL-41g)

1/32 - Aermacchi MB 339 a

1/32 - F-5 F

1/35 - Alouette III

1/35 - Seaking S-61

Well still holding to the dream .......anyone of those mentioned will make my day and year

rgds

mr b

• 1 month later...

It was a 1/350 USS Enterprise from Star Trek TOS, but then the clouds parted, the angels sang, and Polar Lights blessed us.

I have wanted a 1/72 B-1A for almost as long, and its my Holy Grail.

But I'd also like a 1/72 scale:

F-101A

Tu-128

C-5 Galaxy

And in 1/48 scale:

YF-17

Ju-87B-1

I'm inclined to agree with the aforementioned comments about biz jets in 1/72.

I'd love a 1/72 Lockheed Jetstar in styrene.

A production variant of the Piaggio P.180 Avanti biz prop in styrene has been on my want list for years.