1/48 There's a market for each scale. I like 1/48 because of the great detail while not being too big and because public displays usually are mostly 1/48.

Also like 1/72 for comparison with large planes, like compare H-46, H-53, and V-22 with C-130, AN-12, or Transall.

Most of my helicopters are 1/48, the rest 1/72.

I prefer 1/48 and 1/72 vehicles because I prefer aircraft and want the vehicles to go with them.

How well is Tamiya doing with 1/48 vehicles for us aircraft builders -- good sales apparently and more new kits.

The comments above show a preference for vehicles with aircraft to complemnt them.

There's a market for each scale.

Like the UH-1Y, will see how it turns out when released. Now if only someone starts making, ground crew, soldier plus their weapons in 1:48, or perhaps some buildings. That would be awesome to go with those puppies.

Edited by Mad Viper

Now if only someone starts making, ground crew, soldier plus their weapons in 1:48, or perhaps some buildings. That would be awesome to go with those puppies.

That is exactly why there should be more helos (including these two) in 1/35. You have all the accessories, figures, vehicles, buildings, etc. that you could want to go with them. It also makes sense to me since most helos are used by ground armies as well that they should be in the same, most popular scale as ground vehicles, 1/35.

Any news about 1/48 AH-1Z?

Sorry for the impatience but, nowadays, I am very excited for this one and 1/48 Su-33. I am dying to have both.

Myself and some other modelers have made a list of improvements. They are being updated as we speak. Things are progressing beautifully. I'd rather wait for an accurate model than rush an inaccurate one to market.

Floyd

Another plea for 1/35!!! There should be a law - all helos should be in 1/35. If they have time, THEN they can punch-out some 1/72's for the good-eyes-guys. 1/48's should be outlawed!

Are u stark raving mad? 20 1/48 scale attack helicopters fit in exactly the same shelf space as 20 1/72 attack helicopters! I'd like to see you do that with 20 1/35 attack helicopters in the same space! I'd also like to see you find 20 variations of 1/35 attack helicopters in the first place! I'm going to end up with 30 1/48 attack helicopters and could easily add another 30 if I so wanted thanks to the likes of our good friends Floyd Werner, Joseph Osborne from Fireball Models and the Two Bobs guys!

Edited by Tsubame

Thank you all for your input. I just prefer large scale! I just wish there were as many 1/35's in current production as there are 1/48's.

BTW, The P&W PT6-67 DOES run backwards in a manner of speaking. The front of the engine is at the rear. It's called reverse flow. And the PT6 used for turboprops are typically their free-turbine design. There is no direct connection between the power section and the gas generator. In other words one could secure the propeller and still start the engine.

It's a very expensive & exotic pinwheel!

Edited by PC12Driver
1409659789[/url]' post='2643488']

1/48 outlawed??

PC12 = grounded squirrel??

How many messages are in that post??

PC12: has a helicopter engine. Does it fly backward??

Probably good for hanging on the prop.

1/48 outlawed??

Yes I am grounded. Cancer will do that to you.

This might be the first time I'm actually excited about a new helicopter kit... Normally, I've avoided "modern stuff," but I've been considering starting a modern project for awhile now... but I want it to be an aircraft I've actually seen in person. I got the chance to see a bunch of Yankees and Zulus up close last month; hopefully someone will come out with some HMLAT-303 decals, and I can start my project!

14652777177_20fbd1817d_c.jpgAtlas Flight by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

14652783689_5502ea999b_c.jpgAtlas Lineup by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

I volunteer at a museum with an AH-1J.

Most visitors who talk with us about it are surprised to hear that any H-1 variants are still being built.

The Marines are keeping it alive and any display of the current versions would help show the flag.

PC12Driver: Sorry to hear about the cancer. I sure hope you get the better of it.

Actually another thought about being at the Grounded_Squirrel level (I'm still a canopy polisher) is that it threw me off for a moment trying to make the connection in the helicopter forum to the Aerospatiale Ecureuil--"squirrel" (always thought that a strange name for copter).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...