why are the manufacturers afraid of...

Heres a question to the manufacturers of model kits, why are you afraid of making the CH-53E or the MH-53E in 1/35 scale? These airecraft have been around for quite some time but nobody has evere released in this scale.Surely there would be a market out there for such a kit given all the 1/35 scale military kits out there.

It would be very large and expensive, and likely not enough people would buy it to make it profitable. Most likely it would be built more by airplane guys than armor modelers. The same people who buy Shermans, Panthers, and M1 Abrams aren't necessarily going to buy a 1/35 helo kit. You don't see a lot of 1/35 Blackhawks or Hinds in dioramas with 1/35 military vehicles.

A 1/35 AH-64 would be much more profitable IMHO.

I partially agree with Dave. It would be huge and a large expense that probably wouldn't sell in great numbers due to its enormous size. I differ in thinking that mostly armor builders build large-scale (1/32 and 1/35) helos though. I have a bunch of 1/32 and 1/35 helos and also build mainly armor. I think I have built only a handful of aircraft in my 30+ years of modeling.

Heres a question to the manufacturers of model kits, why are you afraid of making the CH-53E or the MH-53E in 1/35 scale? These airecraft have been around for quite some time but nobody has evere released in this scale.Surely there would be a market out there for such a kit given all the 1/35 scale military kits out there.

It's easy, they let the model for myself

Norbert

:taunt:

Hi Norbert

jjj I know, yes you can ....

but it is still all marketing and money.

but lindsay1963 friend,

perhaps this is not the first step to get started in scratchbiulding?

temptation ^_^/>......

Why are manufacturers afraid to issue new model kits of recent modern helicopter types, MH-53E or otherwise?

Licencing is probably an issue. Sikorsky and Boeing are an example of this. No mon, no fun.

Helicopters are a niche subject and probably make up a very small portion of any manufacturer's overall sales.

What I call the "Spitfire & BF109 Syndrome" possibly also applies here. We see new kits of the Spitfire and BF109 released every single year, without fail, simply because these subjects sell. Convert that thinking to helicopters and if any manufacturer considers a new mould helicopter kit, the ones that will sell best are probably the Apache and Hind, not the interesting stuff that appeals to many like, for example, the Bell 214ST or Enstrom.

Helicopter modellers will always be the poor relation when it comes to new kit releases and things will probably only get worse, now that operators like the U.S. Army or U.S. Navy are concentrating on operating as few different airframe types as possible.

LD.

The sad thing as to rights is that most of the claims made by such companies (other than their own names)are pure bullsh*t under actual trademark law. When Academy first made B17s they were boxed in boxes calling it a Boe*ng B-17 and that company complained. Academy took the name off the kit but issued the actual kit for years. The problem is the companies have hugh predatory (some of these guys should be disbarred for making such ridiculous claims) law departments and it is just too expensive to fight in any way. Basically the modelling world bullies.....

size and cost problem was answered with the CH-47 kits wasnt it?

Not really. The CH-53E is quite a bit bigger than a Chinook. They are huge.

ch46ch53.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

It's a subject that comes back from time to time.

there was a guy stating he will do this kit before I arrived on ARC in 2006.

a CH-53 will probably be a $500 price tag in mainstream (with PE, resin updates, alternative decals..)and a $ 1000 price tag in highly detailed short serie. who will spend that money ?

as Dave said, a AH-64 will probably be more reasonable.

It is so good to dream

Norbert

Edited by norbert

Why are manufacturers afraid (apparently) of a 1/48 Mi-8 family? They'd sell 10,000:1 over a 1/35 H-53, and we still don't have that either...

I spoke with one of them in the past about that. he was afraid of the multiple possible version, and possible mixture between them.

But I can tell you it's on the way.

Norbert

What really makes no sense is why a ACCURATE 1/35-1/32 D/H Huey has never been done. Or AH-1G Cobra as well.

Agree 100%. It boggles the mind why no one has released a decent D/H Huey. One of the most produced helos in history, operated by dozens of nations in dozens of configurations,, you would think this would be a great selling kit. And yet.....

The G-model Cobra should also sell well, it's just so frickin' sexy.

I don't think any manufacturer would invest in a H-53 kit. As noted, the costs would be huge and the market would be pretty limited. I heard rumors that Trumpy's CH-47 series was a poor seller, that might have scared off anyone else from investing in large, expensive helo kits.

Edited by 11bee

... I heard rumors that Trumpy's CH-47 series was a poor seller, that might have scared of anyone else from investing in large, expensive helo kits.

Probably true with the Alpha, the Delta boxing is becoming hard to find these days.

However, with the lovely vietnam figures you can find now, I may be tempted with an Alpha...

Norbert

It's a subject that comes back from time to time.

there was a guy stating he will do this kit before I arrived on ARC in 2006.

a CH-53 will probably be a $500 price tag in mainstream (with PE, resin updates, alternative decals..)and a $ 1000 price tag in highly detailed short serie. who will spend that money ?

as Dave said, a AH-64 will probably be more reasonable.

It is so good to dream

Norbert

Would a 35th CH-53E be a lot larger than a 48th B-1B, or 72nd B-36?

yes, it's a lot larger, and no, it isn't. (rotor blades deployed or folded ?)

In fact, a 1/35 CH-53 will fit my 12"(30cm) deep display cabinet with rotor blades folded, what is impossible with a 1/48 B-1B

But in a manufacturer point of view, the fuselage is a big thing, and you will have to double it with the Inside shells.'ok this was not done with the Trumpeter CH-47)

There is a lot of détails that will need a lot of engineering (but probably not more than a 1/32 Bomber)

first issue is probably not the size, but the cost of the kit, and that only to end at 80% in a stash (where it will take a lot of place)

Norbert

Those kits were done over 30 years ago, so any comparison to current day is sort of irrelevant. And helo kits in general are never as popular as fixed wings

So its more a matter of it not being financially worth it on the part of a manufacturer because of the amount of money they would need to charge per kit because there would not be enough demand to warrant the cost of supply?

shortly, I advised a manufacturer to do a 1/32 jeep kit (was in this forum)

he answered he wont do because the risk is too important for such a big model (was not a mainstream manufacturer)

In business, there is always a risk, but it's the same here : too big risk, this is the only reason.

Then you can push further : risk is to big because...and find plenty of reasons

Norbert