Academy 1/32 F-16 Intake(s)

This is 1/32.

Large mouth will be coming some time in the near future.

I've edited the title and first post.

For those not familiar with the Academy F-16 kit, it's really nice but has a few errors, the biggest of which is the intake.

The original intake was too thick and flat along the top and intersection with the splitter. The splitter wasn't pronounced enough and the RAM intakes were almost non-existent.

Note the contour differences between the original and the resin part.

F-16_small_2_zps5abae840.jpg

I did have to make some compromises on the splitter to make the intake fit the existing fuselage but I think it is a big improvement.

I would have liked to have offered a full length seamless intake but decided that the molding and casting would have been too problematic so I did a seamless front and rear section.

RAM intake panels are separate parts to give the intakes some depth.

F-16_small_3_zps5eb1d340.jpg

I designed the set to work with the rest of the kit parts as much as possible, including the kit intake lights, but because of the new shape the optional ASPJ antenna won't fit without modification. I don't have the SUFA kit, but imagine the intake lumps will also need to be modified to fit.

F-16_small_4_zpsd951e309.jpg

I need to make some small adjustments to improve the fit before pouring production molds as well as make a simple instruction sheet.

:cheers:

Hmm can this be used with the Sufa kits?

It would require a couple of mods for the Sufa. The Sufa doesn't have a RAM duct on the sides above the intake. Also, if the nosewheel well is cast with the intake, the roof of the well should have a depression and the bottom of the intake throat should have a corresponding bulge to accommodate the wider nosewheel of the Sufa/Block 52+.

It would require a couple of mods for the Sufa. The Sufa doesn't have a RAM duct on the sides above the intake. Also, if the nosewheel well is cast with the intake, the roof of the well should have a depression and the bottom of the intake throat should have a corresponding bulge to accommodate the wider nosewheel of the Sufa/Block 52+.

Since Academy themselves have released the Sufa as a kit, would it make sense to incorporate this bulge in the master, and those that don't need the bulge can remove it by sanding? Would be a lot easier than having to add it. In any case, this is a great addition to the kit and something sorely needed. Especially now that the Tamiya P&W powered F-16 kit is discontinued and loose sprues are no longer available.

Jens