Airliner Related Magazines.

Hello all, for those who still subscribe or pick up the occasional Airline/Airliner related magazine, which do you prefer? I used to subscribe to Airways Magazine many...many...moons ago but haven't picked up a copy in years. I used to enjoy it. I am renewing my interest in civilian airliners having just picked up the latest incarnation of Hasegawa's 1/200 777-300. So, if you read magazines as either a subscriber or pick up a copy every now and again, what is your go-to publication in terms of photos and articles or even Airliner Modeling?

Thanks all.

Don.

Hi Don & welcome "back" if I get it !

I started with the same magazine you mention but quickly shifted to Airliner World because of the better quality/definition of the photos, but that's just my opinion, & because it's Brit (love that).

Regarding airliner modelling, about 15 years ago there used to be a black & white magazine that was published by Airline Hobby Supplies and it focused only on airliners, a GREAT magazine. Now, I don't remember if there are specific magazines however airliner builds appear from time to time in Model Airplane and Scale Aviation Modeller International.

Edited by PMG Offramp

Airways - I have every issue from the start (February 1994).

Airliners - I have every issue up to a couple of years ago when I started to find it increasingly difficult to find in the UK, and the articles in it no longer interested me that much. I found I was collecting it, or trying to, for the sake of.

Airliner World - I have most of the earlier issues but found it a bit too "busy" for my liking. I rarely get it now, only if something specific catches my eye.

Modelling mags - I only buy one if there's something specifically of interest (SAMI has something occasionally).

I work in the airline industry and am always interested in reading stuff. I can look out my office window to see the real things, though!

I picked up a copy of Airliner World yesterday (June issue with US Airways on the front cover...I guess Barnes & Noble didn't get their July shipment yet or something). Anyways, very impressed with the photography. Great, clear, up close pictures. I do agree that the magazines layout is rather busy and comes off a bit crammed looking. Not an Airbus fan (nor a hater though either... ;) ) but the center photo on pages 50-51 of the A350 is awesome. At $12.50 USD an issue or $75 for a year subscription the price is a bit steep for my budget (which is too bad as I do like the magazine). I think I will end up subscribing to Airways Magazine as I can get for $45ish for a year. The $30 savings can get added to the modeling budget for a 1/200 787 or sourcing some 1/200 modern British Airways 747-400 decals.

Good stuff fellas :thumbsup: ! Appreciate the input.

Cheers!

:cheers:

I've subscribed to Airways since it started, and have always been very happy reading it. My subscription recently came to an end so I renewed for another 3 years. However, with the first copy of my new subscription came a big surprise. Things had changed -big time! John Wegg (the main man behind it) and most of the regular staff had gone, and the format and content had markedly changed. There was no warning that this was going to happen, and it's not a change for the better to my mind either! The letters page is full of people praising the new look, so perhaps I'm just too set in my ways, but if this change had happened a couple of months earlier, I think there would have been a fair chance I would not have renewed.

Dave

Edited by halcyondave

Cant agree more Dave.

I subscribed to both Airliners and Airways Mags since volume one.

I was upset when Airliners folded since I had just paid two year subscription and I ate it.

I love Airline magazines as reference to my modelling needs.

I like articles about Airlines of the past since I use the pictures to find details as color and regs.

Airliner World is a great mag, but the pictures are not what I want and as buzz points out it is way too busy!

Too much stuff in one page.

The new Airways is going the wrong direction in my opinion. There is already a magazine about Airports of the

world and I can honestly care less about the opinions of Airline CEO's.

Walter