I am ready to start rolling on this great GB. I will be building a 1/72 F-15J in the markings of the Mystic Eagle IV exercise from 1998. I am using the pretty good Hasegawa F-15J kit that came with these markings.

F15JMysticIV_001_MJI06152014Large.jpg

I also have a backup aftermarket set of Mystic Eagle IV markings from Rose Ridge if the kit decals don't work out well. Here is a look at the markings for the jet:

MysticEagleIV001.jpg

I plan on using a Platz PE set for some of the cockpit details and some external details. I will also us a set of Eduard PE intake covers to avoid the dreaded intake seems. Anyway, here's to the build!

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

• 2 weeks later...

Following the usual route, I have started working on the cockpit. As this looks pretty boring right now with the paint only partially completed, I thought I would post some initial work on another sub-assembly along with a build hint. A good friend of mine is working on a Hasegawa F-15C at the same time and he commented on a hassle with the wings. The small underside part is relatively thin and as there is a gap (hollow) in the inside of the wing when the two parts are glued, it is a real pain to get this level and not have the insert collapse and require a lot of putty. I got around that by adding two small strips of evergreen as a support before gluing the two wings halves together. I found that .030 thick plastic strip works out well as a support. Here is the support strip being used along with the two wing parts assembled and not glued. The small insert is resting on the larger wing in the second photo and is level after glue application.

F15JMysticIV_012_MJI07132014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_017_MJI07132014Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Mike, that's a great tip about the wings. I had the same problem with my previous Hase Eagle and the smaller insert just looked terrible after gluing it to the wing. I'll be borrowing your technique for future builds!

Great start and great markings too!

I'm building an F-15DJ for this GB (No time to post about it yet, coming soon!) an I found it is actually easier to glue the strip to the other part of the wing: This way it is easy to sand down the strip to the exact thickness required for flush assembly. Just thought it might be useful...

Arnaud

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

In the small amount of time I had for modeling since my last post, I managed to get the cockpit finished out on my Mystic Eagle. Here are some photos of the cockpit as it now looks. I did use the instrument panel from an old Platz PE set for the F-15J (the non pre-painted set). My plan is to have the canopy raised so I needed to do a little work on the equipment bay. Next step is to button this up in the front fuselage and continue to work on the other sub assemblies like the wings and exhausts.

F15JMysticIV_018_MJI08142014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_019_MJI08142014Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

While I am working on the fuselage to pull all the main pieces together, I thought I would take a little diversion and work on the dreaded Hasegawa F-15 exhausts. Like most operational Eagles, The JASDF got rid of the turkey feathers and use the open exhausts. This brings up one of the more dreaded features with the Hasegawa F-15 kits. They mold the core of the exhaust in separate petals that you need to glue together and get them in something like a round shape. Here's how the parts come on the sprue:

F15JMysticIV_005_MJI07062014Large.jpg

Nice, eh? dry.gif I found a great tip from another builder on ARC and used one of the drop tanks from this kit as a sort of shaping plug. I glued all of the separate petals together with a solvent type glue and while the whole cone was a bit squishy, I used the drop tank as a plug inside the exhaust to allow the exhaust to set up in a round configuration. Here's how one of the exhaust core looks after drying:

F15JMysticIV_011_MJI07062014Large.jpg

Not too bad! I then started to carefully add the tiny control rods around the outside. Here I am at about 75% into the process:

F15JMysticIV_026_MJI09012014Large.jpg

Once this step is finished, I'll then paint them using shades of Alclad as the primary color. I know that Aries has aftermarket resin F-15 exhaust that get you around the need to make the center exhaust core (I have a copy in my stash) but I wanted to see what the Hasegawa version would look like as I have a pile of unbuilt Hasegawa Eagles in my pile and the aftermarket resin sets are expensive.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

The Aires nozzles are great (from what I've seen online) but they cost more than the model itself :(.

Properly assembled, as shown here by Mike, the kit nozzles are perfectly acceptable and not that complicated to assemble. Using a tank is a good idea, I personally use the handle of a big brush.

Arnaud

Thanks guys for the great comments on the Hasegawa exhaust nozzles! I was on a roll with the exhausts, so I just continued and finished them up while I had momentum. I completed the addition of the rest of the tiny control rods, then shot a coat of Mr. Surfacer on the exterior of the nozzles. This then received several coats of Alclad. I think I used one of the dark Alclad paints, either burnt iron or exhaust. I should have written that down but I forgot. After this dried, I took a silver prismatic pencil and lightly highlighted the exhausts. Like a lot of what we do here in the forums, the exhaust look a bit better to the eye rather than the camera lens! The silver metallic highlights get lost in the camera lights. Here's how they look finished:

F15JMysticIV_028_MJI09072014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_031_MJI09072014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_029_MJI09072014Large.jpg

The three exhaust sub assemblies are just stacked on top of each other and are not yet fitted and glued. After finishing these kit exhausts, I agree with everyone that these are an acceptable alternative to the expensive Aries exhausts. I have a few copies of the Aries exhausts in my stash but don't plan on buying anymore for my Hasegawa Eagle builds.

Now it is back to the fuselage!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the exhausts are out of the way, it is time to start to make the pile of plastic parts look like a jet. I now have the front cockpit section put together as a single piece. Before I did that, I added nose weight to the radome. I also got rid of those tiny little plastic AOA probes (I will break those off in handling!) and replaced them with the sharp end of a pin after drilling out a suitable hole. These will look better anyway as they are already metal. Here's the progress so far:

F15JMysticIV_040_MJI09112014Large.jpg

You can see the backside of the pin glued in front of the pedals in this shot.

F15JMysticIV_036_MJI09112014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_039_MJI09112014Large.jpg

You can see the replacement AOA probes (aka pin) in this photo. These will look better and be more sturdy than the original plastic pieces.

Now it is on to tackle the main fuselage!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! No, I have not forgotten about this build, just that a lot of traveling got in the way these past 4 or 5 weeks! I am now back and have started to work on my Eagle. I have the main body now completed and ready for the front cockpit section. I noticed that the main gear doors are closed when the Eagle is parked, so I went to add these to the main fuselage. I may have been too aggressive on lightly sanding the gear doors as they were slightly loose and would not stay level with the surrounding fuselage area. They would start to drop back into the wheel well. I fixed this by adding a small support from evergreen square rod to support the front end of the gear door. You can see the support pieces in the following photos along with one of the gear doors resting in place.

F15JMysticIV_41_MJI10022014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_44_MJI10022014Large.jpg

F15JMysticIV_46_MJI10022014Large.jpg

Next stop is to mate the front and back together and eliminate the obligatory step.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>