without full report and radio comms transcription, it is hard to tell.

Telephoto lens can distort the view so the aircraft appear much closer then they really are. Since it can be clearly seen that when 767 is landing, there's quite some crosswind presenet and the aircraft even gets hit by a gust when decelerating on the runway. It is possible that go around was caused by severe wind conditions just before landing and the pilot decided to abort landing.

If the go around was initiated because of runway incursion, it is still impossible to say, who is to blame. Did the ATC loose attention and cleared A340 to cross active runway with 767 in short final? Did A340 pilot overheard hold short instruction. Without listening to the tapes it is impossible to say anything and all I see is media making a sensational story of what could have been just wind related issue. Apart from that runway incursions are together with level busts, two major incident and accident causes in air traffic safety.

My two ATC worth cents

Telephoto lens can distort the view so the aircraft appear much closer then they really are. Since it can be clearly seen that when 767 is landing, there's quite some crosswind presenet and the aircraft even gets hit by a gust when decelerating on the runway. It is possible that go around was caused by severe wind conditions just before landing and the pilot decided to abort landing.

If the go around was initiated because of runway incursion, it is still impossible to say, who is to blame. Did the ATC loose attention and cleared A340 to cross active runway with 767 in short final? Did A340 pilot overheard hold short instruction. Without listening to the tapes it is impossible to say anything and all I see is media making a sensational story of what could have been just wind related issue. Apart from that runway incursions are together with level busts, two major incident and accident causes in air traffic safety.

My two ATC worth cents

Good points. I thought about the cross-winds being the cause of the go-around, it looked like the 767 was on a stable approach but who knows..

I guess we'll find out shortly.

If I'm the guys on the ground taxiing...I'm holding short and checking "clear right and above" regardless of what tower is telling me.

Also, nothing wrong with a go around, that airport's not going anywhere.

If I'm the guys on the ground taxiing...I'm holding short and checking "clear right and above" regardless of what tower is telling me.

I just wish there would be more pilots like you then... I've experienced runway incursions a few times when working in the tower... had to issue go around for approaching traffic once as well...

You said it :thumbsup: ! Better safe then sorry.

I just wish there would be more pilots like you then... I've experienced runway incursions a few times when working in the tower... had to issue go around for approaching traffic once as well...

What Whitey states is standard operating procedure.

Both the tower and the aircraft on the ground could have prevented this, both are at fault.

Tower gave them an expedited instruction to cross the runway, it should have been a hold.

Dude.....unless there is some trick photography...THAT!!!.....was......a.........near.....miss. That UTair bird was as dirty as it could get; did ya notice the increase in power just before the gear went back up. One of the first things my instructor taught me was to hold short, even with clearance for TO, and check for traffic in the pattern, declare your intentions, and check the approach again. With an aircraft on the DW leg you have time, on base and final...it can get touchy whether you're flying GA (Piper) or a high performance military.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

What Whitey states is standard operating procedure.

Both the tower and the aircraft on the ground could have prevented this, both are at fault.

Tower gave them an expedited instruction to cross the runway, it should have been a hold.

care to share source of radio comms and or transcription?

There should be no problems crossing the runway unless the approaching aircraft is on short final. As was stated, a telephoto lens can certainly compress things. Also, I have had clearance to land from about two miles out on an approach and seen an aircraft roll out onto the runway for immediate departure right in front of me. You just have to size it up as you are coming in.

However, having said all of that, this looks like a possible runway incursion to me, or it was a bit tight and the Seven-Six did a go around because the pilot was not comfortable with what he was seeing. Better safe than sorry and good on him.

Edited by DutyCat

... all I see is media making a sensational story...

Agree with this. The pilot (yesterday in russian news) said that "it was just a part of the job. Nothing heroic." The distance was about 1 kilometer (about 0,62 mile) to 340. It`s 10-12 seconds. That`s why they had decision to go around.

Better safe than sorry and good on him.

+1

WBR,

Andrew.

Edited by Voppey

Whitey said it. Clear both ways anytime you cross any runway, active or not. It looks like the guy in the 76 was handling the crosswind pretty well, so I assume it was a runway incursion that led to his/her decision. But, as has already been noted, this really is no big deal. I've dealt with probably 12-15 runway incursions in my time and train for them at every recurrent event, as does every other pilot out there. I'm not saying someone shouldn't get their wrist slapped for this, but it happens and will continue to happen. Just be ready. "Wave-off, fouled deck"

[/quote

The final authority rests with the pilot in command of the aircraft!

Tim