That is a bummer about the kit, hope it turns up. The DVII is a great subject to start with, minimal rigging and a load of colorful paint schemes to choose from.

I'm not familiar with the 1/48 kits, but Revell's 1/72 WW1 aircraft are a great balance between detail and fit / ease of assembly making them very pleasant kits to put together.

So while I'm trying to replicate wood out of plastic and paint I got to thinking of how the exterior is going to look. I have quite a choice since this kit has two choices and the Roden kit I have has four. I was thinking of Göring's white VII but then I also was thinking of another one of his. My link

I just bought some more oil paint and was going to experiment with DOT Filtering. Would this be a good technic to use to replicate the green on the one above?

P8150003_zps0fcd2328.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

Two of the triplanes I built had the streaked paint scheme. There is some debate on the proper colors depending on the specific aircraft, either a clear doped linen with olive streaking applied, or turquoise with olive streaking.

I simply painted the base color (a linen color on this aircraft, which was a prototype provided to Voss, I used a bluish green as the base on LvR's triplane which was a production Dr.1), and dry brushed the olive streaks over the base color. I finished it all off with a dot filter of oil paints. The streaking on the real aircraft was apparently applied with a large brush by hand, so not very uniform in appearance.

streaking_zpsee4b5bab.jpg

A dot filter is probably easiest to explain with a link

http://www.ipmshawaii.0catch.com/techniques_dot_filtering.html

It can be used to provide very subtle and mild weathering if you remove most of the oil paint. I typically leave just enough to offer a very subtle variation of color that adds some depth.

Edited by Aaronw

Got'cha. chukw does that when he weathers his work.

Were it me, I would do it the way Fokker did. Wet the brush (dry it a little for the sake of modeling) and start from one end. When the brush starts to dry out wet it again and resume where you left off. Essentially, drybrushing, but resisting the urge to make it uniform. You can see it on the pics on the WNW website http://www.wingnutwi...ctid=3040&cat=1 . I have 2 D.VIIs in the stash (well...one, and one is a rebuild) and hopefully I'll do this on at least one of them.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know your pain about wood-grain not progressing the way it should... (right now, i'm having a hard time related to this very subject on my Ni-11)

and indeed sometime we must just go forward if we wanted thing to be done... and model being built!

thanks for the update, nice seeing your project taking shape...70.gif

• 1 month later...

The color looks pretty sharp so far. And good to see something come out of a Stuka graveyard w00t.gif/>

Ken

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

it's only while reading your comment that i realized that there was 3 stuka upside down in the backgroud...

Edited by mingwin

Actually there are 4 in there.

I've been messing around with elastic thread for rigging but its not working well. It also looks a little large.

Oh, and the paint I used was Tamiya X-4 Blue over a white base.

Edited by Spectre711