1/48 scale A-6E Intruder

Was wondering where you went with this one Joel - keep 'em coming!

John,

I've been working on the model 4 days or so per week. It's just taking me longer to make enough progress to actually post my efforts with some pictures.

Joel

I know exactly what you mean. My bench is out of commission while I repair the rain damage from the other week. Ceiling collapsed in my man cave, so I'm getting my roof done and the room (and the entire attic) needs to be gutted. No major losses to the stash aside from a 1/72 MiG-15, an Austrian HO loco, and a stack of decals.

I know exactly what you mean. My bench is out of commission while I repair the rain damage from the other week. Ceiling collapsed in my man cave, so I'm getting my roof done and the room (and the entire attic) needs to be gutted. No major losses to the stash aside from a 1/72 MiG-15, an Austrian HO loco, and a stack of decals.

John,

Didn't realize you had any damage from that rain storm. Really sorry to hear that. At least you'll end up with a new modeling/man cave. I've always kept my decals in Ziploc freezer bags with at least one silica Gel bag. I can throw them in a tub of water, and no damage. Two models doesn't sound like much damage unless they're not easily replaceable. My small stash is high and dry on the closet shelf. So how long do you figure before you're back at your new bench?

Joel

Didn't realize you had any damage from that rain storm. Really sorry to hear that. At least you'll end up with a new modeling/man cave. I've always kept my decals in Ziploc freezer bags with at least one silica Gel bag. I can throw them in a tub of water, and no damage. Two models doesn't sound like much damage unless they're not easily replaceable. My small stash is high and dry on the closet shelf. So how long do you figure before you're back at your new bench?

Joel

Getting my roof replaced in a week or so. The attic is getting gutted next week, and as soon as the roofing is done I can have the guys come back and redo the room. Good opportunity to upgrade lighting and electrical. The decals were only there because I had just sent some to a friend and hadn't put them away. The loco and the model were no great loss - I can replace the loco this Xmas when I head back to Vienna. The MiG, well I can get another. So for now I live vicariously through your build. No pressure. :woot.gif:

Getting my roof replaced in a week or so. The attic is getting gutted next week, and as soon as the roofing is done I can have the guys come back and redo the room. Good opportunity to upgrade lighting and electrical. The decals were only there because I had just sent some to a friend and hadn't put them away. The loco and the model were no great loss - I can replace the loco this Xmas when I head back to Vienna. The MiG, well I can get another. So for now I live vicariously through your build. No pressure. :woot.gif:/>

John,

Glad to hear that's all will be better then before. Great to have you along for the ride. You can share in what's one adventure after another.

Joel

After reading the squadron walkaround books I was disappointed anyway couple a years ago I was going to try and give a better understanding one day I may finish it ,if interested..

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/t/145685.aspx

Patiently waiting your progress :rolleyes:/>/>/>

Scott

Edited by ScotVA36

Scott,

Oh my!! That's a fantastic couple of posts on FineScale Modeler. I wish I had those pictures and your accompanying posts before I built up the cockpit and IP. I'll be using your Front landing gear walkaround, for added details, especially that cable.

Joel

I'm hoping that some of you will be able to answer my question regarding the leading edges of the slats. The HB painting instructions show that the leading edges of the slates are painted but there is no color call out. The Fightertown decals I'm using don't show this. So I went through all my research pictures and some A-6's have the leading edges of the slats painted, and some don't. At 1st I thought that it was just dirt from the crews hands, but when you look closely at the slat edges, the color is very accurately marked off, and the color doesn't go past the slats to the rest of the wings leading edge. Here's 3 pictures that show the slats edges with a different color then the slats.

Joel

A-6EVA-165CVN-68-2.jpg

DN-ST-88-00489.jpg

dn-sc-88-06195.jpg

Others can tell you the exact way it was applied but it was a way of protecting the leading edges from wear and tear, some pylons had it as well:

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1987/DN-SC-87-05522.jpeg

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1989/DN-SC-89-07988.jpeg

Not all had it as you mentioned:

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1993/DM-ST-93-01320.jpeg

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1992/DN-SC-92-01452.jpeg

Then there is this one:

http://media.nara.gov/stillpix/330-cfd/1993/DN-ST-93-00223.jpeg

Jari

It's a tape kind of a silicone sheet with a sticky backing it's called out in the IPB " Illistated Parts Breakdown" as " leading edge tape" sometime we would use epoxy to reinforce its adherence we also sometimes just panted over the tape. In modeling I just use Model Master 1709 radome tan it's close enough to color.

Scott

It's a tape kind of a silicone sheet with a sticky backing it's called out in the IPB " Illistated Parts Breakdown" as " leading edge tape" sometime we would use epoxy to reinforce its adherence we also sometimes just panted over the tape. In modeling I just use Model Master 1709 radome tan it's close enough to color.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the follow up. I have that exact color from MM coming with my Sprue Brothers order. Mixing it with Tamiya paints would have been a hit or miss deal for me. Was this tape applied to the leading edges of the stabilators too?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Work has continued at my usual snail's pace, but I'm slowly getting there.

Today's update is the finished base upper coat of FS36440 Lite Gull Gray, that is a mixture of Tamiya's FX-20 Medium Gray and FX-2 Flat White. The consensus of opinion is a 1:1 mix, but from previous experience with my F-4B build I found that color to be way too light. Instead I used a 10:1 mix for the base coat.

A-6E08_25_14_085.jpg

A-6E08_25_14_079.jpg

A-6E08_25_14_091.jpg

A-6E08_25_14_081.jpg

I've been tracking my Sprue Brother's order, and it should be arriving today. I ordered Mr. Color's Tan for the radar nose, then I'll do the black framing around the windshield. That should bring me up to glossing for decaling once I finish all the gear doors, flaps, and both cockpit ladders.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

JA

Awesome progress on the A6 for sure. All the effort on the basics has really paid off.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Pete,

Thanks for stopping by, and your words of encouragement. It's slowly but surely coming together. Glad I took your advice and glued up the wings now rather then later. Besides, it looks a whole lot better with the wings on then off.

Joel

JA

Just remember George Costanza's philosophy. If every instinct you had is wrong, then just do the opposite and it will be right. I rest my case.

Bro

s

Of all people to quote! I should have known it was coming.

Joel

Joel! Looks great! Where'd you get that thing-a-ma-jig?

Yes I want to know as well.

She's coming along beautifully Joel! Looking forward to the finished product!

BTW, your progress isn't all that slow. Every time I get to working on my project, I have to wipe the dust and cobwebs off it first! :whistle:

Jason