1/48 scale A-6E Intruder

Joel, the Intruder is looking amazing. Your really making me want to grab one of these kits.

Falcon20dirver,

Thanks so much for those more then kind words.

the Hobby Boss kits are really quite nice, but as you've seen throughout my build, their not exactly shake out of the box. I really want to build over the next few years a A-6E TRAM (have the decals from Fightertown) EA-6B, F-4C, and the N/AW A-10 (have the HB kit in my very small stash). Every other build I do is a WW11 prop, so it's going to be a long process for me.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

JA

Holy Smokes ... your A6 is looking awesome. Super work on the undersides and the light and realistic weathering looks tremendous.

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Pete,

Glad you like my efforts to date.

Been a struggle visually as you know, but taking a few days off has made me come back with a more positive outlook.

Joel

Pure stupidity on my part :stupid:/>

I wanted to Dullcoat the A-6E yesterday. So I get out my trusty Paasche H air brush, and the trigger button is somewhat sticky. Odd, as I've never had that issue with this gun or my 35 year old one that now resides in the town land fill, as some replacement parts don't fit, even though they should.

I removed the button, then the air hose. I carefully removed the retaining nut and pushed the shaft and spring assembly out the bottom. Using Lacquer Thinner, I cleaned the old lube out of the the slot, as well as off the shaft. For lubrication I just used some 5-30 motor oil rubbed on with a Q-tip, then slid the assembly back into the gun. Smooth as silk, So I position the nut and start to tighten it, when the screwdriver slips and the spring launches the nut into outer space. I hear it hit the wall, so I have a basic idea of where to look. :soapbox:/> Well, nearly a hour of searching was basically a waste of time. No nut :bandhead2:/>

Now I have the basic spare parts, but never bothered with a spare nut as I've never needed one before. So now it's Google time. I find the Paasche site, and it's in Chicago. I'm impressed as something of quality is actually made in the USA. Their site is extensive, user friendly, and most important of all customer friendly. So I order two nuts. Each cost $1.20. Next day Fed EX shipping was $40!, 2nd day Fed Ex shipping was nearly $20. I ended up with USPS 1st class mail for $4.40.

I figured I continue to look for art supply stores that carry Paasche air brushes locally. Found two. One 5 min from my house, which is where I bought my current air brush, but they went out of business thanks to Michaels, Walmart, etc. Found a chain called Blinks, with a store about a hour away. I called and went through my tale of woe. Naturally, they didn't have the part in stock, and wasn't expecting a restock til 10/27, just outstanding customer service, but they have new guns to sell me. They did offer to check their other stores in New York City. For me to drive into the city, would cost me a 1/2 tank of gas and nearly a full day of round trip travel, so that option was out. :explode:/>

So now I'm at a stand still. I do have the option of trying Model Master's Dullcoat in a rattle can, but I'm concerned of uneven coverage, runs, and hard to reach areas not getting any coverage.

Joel

Awww man ..that sux!

No spare airbrush around?

Hi Aigore,

Was wondering where you've been.

Like I said, my spare old one now resides in the County landfill. I could borrow one of my brother's two airbrushes, but he uses Iwata double action guns, and I've never used one. So I opted to just wait till the parts came. I did email their customer service about how to set the screw and if I ordered the right part. Got two emails from them. One was a computer acknowledgement last night, and 9am Chicago time I got one from Brian of their customer service dept. I indeed did order the right part, and it's one full turn past the top thread. My parts should have been shipped sometime today. So far I'm really impressed with their customer service, and being a life time Paasche user, I'm glad I haven't switched ships.

So I've been working on the load out issue.

BTW, how come no updates the last few days?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hi Joel - parts that launch into and vanish into the ether - I can't explain how that happens either -- it always reminds me of that episode from Twilight Zone "A Matter of Minutes". I would've recommended for you to give your brother's double-action a try because that's what I use -- just a few minutes of practice and you should be good to go. But it's good to hear that your replacement parts would be around soon.

Hi Joel - parts that launch into and vanish into the ether - I can't explain how that happens either -- it always reminds me of that episode from Twilight Zone "A Matter of Minutes". I would've recommended for you to give your brother's double-action a try because that's what I use -- just a few minutes of practice and you should be good to go. But it's good to hear that your replacement parts would be around soon.

I guess I could have tried it, but it's too late now to even contemplate that route now. We live about 1/2 hour about, and we work basically opposite work schedules except on the weekends. We have breakfast together every other Sunday at a diner, so that would be the next time I could borrow his spare airbrush. By then I should have my Paasche back in working order. Still have plenty to do, as the loads need to be built,painted and weathered.

Since I can't find a single picture or description of a loads out with the GBU-8s, I've decided to bite the bullet and go with:

Stations 1 & 5: GBU 12s Paveway 11

Stations 2 & 4: MK20s with 6 on a TER

Station 3: Centerline Gas Tank

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I guess I could have tried it, but it's too late now to even contemplate that route now. We live about 1/2 hour about, and we work basically opposite work schedules except on the weekends. We have breakfast together every other Sunday a diner, so that would be the next time I could borrow his spare airbrush. By then I should have my Paasche back in working order. Still have plenty to do, as the loads need to be built,painted and weathered.

Since I can't find a single picture or description of a loads out with the GBU-8s, I've decided to bite the bullet and go with:

Stations 1 & 5: GBU 12s Paveway 11

Stations 2 & 4: MK20s with 6 on a TER

Station 3: Centerline Gas Tank

Joel

I believe you'll only get 4 Mk 20's on the ter's as the inboard station is interfered with by the gear door.

I believe you'll only get 4 Mk 20's on the ter's as the inboard station is interfered with by the gear door.

Modelguy2,

Wow!! another screw up on the instruction sheet as it calls for 6 per station. Thanks so much for that timely information.

Joel

Hi Aigore,

Was wondering where you've been.

Like I said, my spare old one now resides in the County landfill. I could borrow one of my brother's two airbrushes, but he uses Iwata double action guns, and I've never used one. So I opted to just wait till the parts came. I did email their customer service about how to set the screw and if I ordered the right part. Got two emails from them. One was a computer acknowledgement last night, and 9am Chicago time I got one from Brian of their customer service dept. I indeed did order the right part, and it's one full turn past the top thread. My parts should have been shipped sometime today. So far I'm really impressed with their customer service, and being a life time Paasche user, I'm glad I haven't switched ships.

So I've been working on the load out issue.

BTW, how come no updates the last few days?

Joel

Easy...mother in law visiting :P/>

I must be on my best behaviour.....

Edited by Aigore

Aigore,

It's only a flight away. Of course just think how many top of the line airbrushes I could buy for the price of a round trip ticket. :rolleyes:/>/>

Joel

Thought you didn't like double action Iwatas ")

Outstanding work Joel, simply OUTSTANDING.....ya gonna take home some trophy iron with this one.

#1 Greywolf,

Thanks so much for more then positive comments. These days my builds are just for personal display, and sharing with you guys online.

Joel

Joel, i used to think the same way, i build them for me and to show them on the forums, but one day a friend of mine asked me to take my UH-60L and the AH-6 little bird to a contest and what you know?? i took home best of the show award and i best of the show awarded from a model club in Canada that was visiting us here in Venezuela , you never know what you will get, since then every time work permits i go to the contest to see what i get, is adictive, jejejeje

Joel, i used to think the same way, i build them for me and to show them on the forums, but one day a friend of mine asked me to take my UH-60L and the AH-6 little bird to a contest and what you know?? i took home best of the show award and i best of the show awarded from a model club in Canada that was visiting us here in Venezuela , you never know what you will get, since then every time work permits i go to the contest to see what i get, is adictive, jejejeje

Jorge,

Back in the 70's when I 1st came back into the hobby as an adult, my brother and I found the Squadron Shop in Syosset. We got hooked on model building once again, and eventually joined the local IPMS chapter. We got involved with club contests, IPMS Regionals, and even a few IPMS Nationals. I ended up taking a 30+ year Hiatus from the hobby as I just got burnt out. For me the hobby became all about competing, and what did you win syndrome. The fun of building took a 2nd seat to the "thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat". Sure, not everyone went that route, but I sure did.

This time around I found no reason to join the local club, or to once again become involved in contests. ARC and Aeroscale have become my online clubs. I've made friends and continue to do so. I've learned a lot, and have tried my best to offer my insight from time to time. In time my views might very well change, but for now I'm quite satisfied with my personal modeling philosophy.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Joel,

That Intruder is looking fantastic! I missed a lot of the earlier posts and just got caught up as I have been away. Keep up the great work (don't rush it at this late stage ) smile.gif

Cheers, 271.gif/>

David

David,

Sure glad you like my efforts to date.

If anything I've slowed down rather then rush to completion. I just applied a Matte finish to the fuselage with Testors Dullcoat, so I could remove the windshield and canopy masking, and if I do say so, it does look rather nice. I've been working on the loads out, and the pylon stations including the MERS for the MK20s. Hoping to do a Update by the end of the week.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Close to finished then biggrin.gif

See I won't finish my eagle before you smile.gif

Aigore,

I more close to the finish then the starting line for sure. But I still have enough work to do to keep me busy for two weeks or so. So I'm still betting that you beat me to the completion line.

Joel

Update please! Love your work so far, especially the attention to the wing setup. It was very informative for my own effort.

I have the same kit going and plan on a Desert Storm lo-viz machine. No paint on yet, but lots of parts cleanup and fitting and gluing. Wow, this is a well-engineered kit. I tossed my Kinetic A-6 into our club raffle after I saw the Kinetic/Hobby Boss parts compared.

I want to use all of the Rockeyes, so it will be MERs on the outboard pylons and a finless tank from a Hasegawa A-4 on centerline. inboard wing pylons, I don't know - Mk. 83s, maybe...

So how are the MERs going together? I cut all the sway braces from the sprue, then discovered that there are two different numbers for them. I can't tell the difference between the ones that go on the sides and the ones that go on the bottom! And the holes in the Rocks are not right for mounting them to the MER...

Get your update on, man!

David,

Sure glad you like my efforts to date.

If anything I've slowed down rather then rush to completion. I just applied a Matte finish to the fuselage with Testors Dullcoat, so I could remove the windshield and canopy masking, and if I do say so, it does look rather nice. I've been working on the loads out, and the pylon stations including the MERS for the MK20s. Hoping to do a Update by the end of the week.

Joel