1/48 scale A-6E Intruder

Update please! Love your work so far, especially the attention to the wing setup. It was very informative for my own effort.

I have the same kit going and plan on a Desert Storm lo-viz machine. No paint on yet, but lots of parts cleanup and fitting and gluing. Wow, this is a well-engineered kit. I tossed my Kinetic A-6 into our club raffle after I saw the Kinetic/Hobby Boss parts compared.

I want to use all of the Rockeyes, so it will be MERs on the outboard pylons and a finless tank from a Hasegawa A-4 on centerline. inboard wing pylons, I don't know - Mk. 83s, maybe...

So how are the MERs going together? I cut all the sway braces from the sprue, then discovered that there are two different numbers for them. I can't tell the difference between the ones that go on the sides and the ones that go on the bottom! And the holes in the Rocks are not right for mounting them to the MER...

Get your update on, man!

Andrew,

Thanks so much for your most enthusiastic comments. It really means quite a lot to me.

Looking forward to seeing your build, especially the Low-Vis scheme. I certainly agree that the HB kit is worlds better then then Kinetic kit, at least that's what I've read just about everywhere.

The MERs are together and base painting is done. The mounting brackets are really weird. As you said there are two different parts numbers: F8 and F7, yet they're identical. I had to modify all the brackets that went on bottom of the MERs. Also the mounting holes don't line up as HB decided to use the same spacing as for the pylons, which is wrong.

I'm working on a update right now, so you'll see where I'm at.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Time for another small update.

I finished weathering the canopy with just a dark gray sludge wash. I then unmasked the clear glass and assembled the interior back electronics shelf, open/closing latch assembly, and then the 4 PE mirrors. The trick to them was to bend the mounting plates so that you had a nice gluing surface. And yes, I also noticed from looking at the pictures that I have to touch of the canopy front face, as the tape pulled off some of the paint.

A-6E10_06_14_169.jpg

A-6E10_06_14_170.jpg

A-6E10_06_14_168.jpg

Next was the switch to MK20s and GBU-10s for the out-loads. From a few posts I received, it was pointed out to me that on pylons 2 & 4, the inside mounting stations weren't used for the MK20s, as the gear doors hit them. I'm sure that's not a good thing. So I only constructed 8 MK20s. As I mentioned in my reply to Andrew the locating holes in the MK20s are to mount them to the pylons, not the MERs. So I plugged them, and drilled new holes. Not difficult, just time consuming. One thing you need to keep in mind is to plug both holes, not just one. Then center the new mounting holes so that the MK20s seat correctly. They're just in raw white paint at this point.

A-6E10_06_14_163.jpg

Next up was what I think are GBU-10s. There is no mention of them in the kit instructions, and try as I might, I can't figure out exactly which GBU they are.

A-6E10_06_14_162.jpg

I painted the pylons and will be glossing, decaling, and weathering them. Again, they're just painted basic white.

A-6E10_06_14_164.jpg

Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll have a follow up post with the pylons, MERs and loads, finished, weathered, and assemblied.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

JA

Super progress on both the canopy and the loads. I'm pretty sure the facing edge of the canopy is aluminum but I could be wrong.

Sure is looking mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Pete,

Thanks for stopping by and approving what I've done.

It's easy to paint the facing edge any color, but I need to find out now. Anyone know exactly what the facing edge should be?

Joel

The inside framing of the canopy, including the forward edge where it closes against the windscreen bow, should be black. The decking and bulkhead attached to the canopy behind the seats should also be black with a healthy dose of grime and dust.

Pete,

Thanks for stopping by and approving what I've done.

It's easy to paint the facing edge any color, but I need to find out now. Anyone know exactly what the facing edge should be?

Joel

The inside framing of the canopy, including the forward edge where it closes against the windscreen bow, should be black. The decking and bulkhead attached to the canopy behind the seats should also be black with a healthy dose of grime and dust.

Andrew,

Thanks so much for that information. Sure wish I knew about the decking, as it's too late to re-due it. Will paint the forward edge of the canopy black. I'm also assuming that goes for the edging of the windscreen.

Joel

Yep! The edge has a seal as well as the interior canopy color, so paint it black. I usually paint my cockpit bits (glareshield, seats, whatever is black) Tamiya Nato Black, then do a wash of thinned enamel Burnt Umber. The Burnt Umber imparts a dusty dirtiness to whatever black surface it's on.

http://www.glennsmuseum.com/later_mil/pics/a6_cockpit_flgd.jpg

Andrew,

Thanks so much for that information. Sure wish I knew about the decking, as it's too late to re-due it. Will paint the forward edge of the canopy black. I'm also assuming that goes for the edging of the windscreen.

Joel

Yep! The edge has a seal as well as the interior canopy color, so paint it black. I usually paint my cockpit bits (glareshield, seats, whatever is black) Tamiya Nato Black, then do a wash of thinned enamel Burnt Umber. The Burnt Umber imparts a dusty dirtiness to whatever black surface it's on.

http://www.glennsmus...ockpit_flgd.jpg

Andrew,

Once again, thanks for the information. The picture is perfect. I've downloaded it for my reference files.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Finally finished all the loads out.

Stations: #1 & #5 each have a GBU-10. After a base coat of Tamiya Olive Drab, I added some Yellow to it, and randomly applied a blotchy pattern. Personally, I think I didn't go far enough with it, as GBU-10s still look to new.

A-6E10_09_14_177.jpg

Stations #2 & #4 each have a MER rack with 4 MK20 Rockeyes. As was pointed out to me by a former crew chief, the inboard racks aren't used, as the gear doors have a nasty habit of hitting them. Rather then just weathering the MK20s with washes, I wanted to show a little rough handling wear and tear, so I lightly sanded parts of the bombs with a #4,000 Micro Mesh pad.

A-6E10_09_14_171.jpg

Joel

I guess you can call yesterday's update part 1, and today's update as part 2, as the pylons and bomb loads have been installed. Of course I just noticed that I forgot to paint the tail end of the GBU-10s, so there's one more task added to my list.

A-6E10_10_14_179.jpg

A-6E10_10_14_190.jpg

A-6E10_10_14_181.jpg

I'm getting close to the end of my A-6E Intruder build as I can finally see the finish line. Not much left to do. I just have one ejection seat to paint, both seats ejections grabs, and both sticks. Install the canopy, and a few odds and ends. Should be done by early next week.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Well, after 3 1/2 months of working on the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale A-6E Intruder, I finally finished it this morning. It certainly hasn't been the easiest of kits to build, and at times has fought me tooth and nail. Still, the finished results were well worth my efforts. While not a perfect build by any means, it has to be the most challenging build I've had since coming back into the hobby, and thus the most satisfying.

Here's a bakers dozen pictures of the finished A-6E. 6 pictures in this post, followed by 7 pictures in the next post.

Joel

A-6E10_12_14_195.jpg

A-6E10_12_14_197.jpg

A-6E10_12_14_193.jpg

A-6E10_10_14_183.jpg

A-6E10_10_14_184.jpg

Excellent build!

I really like the way the aircraft is not overly weathered, yet every detail is visible. And just 3 1/2 months? I would need at least half a year to do something close like that!

The cockpit is just amazing!

Excellent build!

I really like the way the aircraft is not overly weathered, yet every detail is visible. And just 3 1/2 months? I would need at least half a year to do something close like that!

The cockpit is just amazing!

Lancer512,

Thanks so much for your most kind words. Glad you liked my efforts in the cockpit.

Joel