the VFW that I give my models was busted, shut down. With my models in it. Has anyone else experienced that problem before. Does anyone know how I can get my models back or they a total loss.

Edited by dean spirkoff

the VFW that I give my models was busted, shut down. With my models in it. Has anyone else experienced that problem before. Does anyone know how I can get my models back or they a total loss.

Some VFW's are pretty sketchy. Most times though they pull your liquor license for a short duration. If you are saying that they lost their license entirely, that has to be for something pretty flagrant or maybe they were repeat offenders.

Regardless, I doubt that they owned the building. If they are truly shut down permanently, try to reach out to the property owner and get access to reclaim your models before they show up with a dumpster and gut the place.

Good luck.

PS - what's wrong with selling booze to miners? Those poor guys work hard, definitely could use a drink after coming up from underground :)

Edited by 11bee

That can't have been approved by the leadership of that VFW...however almost anything is possible. That makes the VFW look very bad...of the many that I have visited they were well thought of in the community. I hope it was an employee with less than honorable morals. However without all the facts, I'll not be laying blame or pointing fingers. As 11Bee said, try to contact the property owner to gain entry, and reclaim what is rightfully yours, most VFW post facilities are rented.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

That can't have been approved by the leadership of that VFW...however almost anything is possible. That makes the VFW look very bad...of the many that I have visited they were well thought of in the community. I hope it was an employee with less than honorable morals. However without all the facts, I'll not be laying blame or pointing fingers. As 11Bee said, try to contact the property owner to gain entry, and reclaim what is rightfully yours, most VFW post facilities are rented.

I don't know... remember that in the US the drinking age is 21 so a "minor" in this case is someone under 21. Some of my friends had been on multiple combat tours by the time they were 20. If an old WWII Island Hopper buys that 20 year old Marine a drink, he is in violation of the law.

Having said that I don't know the particulars of this case-- I just want to point out that the "minor" served may be a combat vet adult. I know guys who were combat wounded, disabled, and discharged before they hit drinking age. Its not that crazy to me to see them having a beer given to them, especially at a VFW

Just sayin'

PS - what's wrong with selling booze to miners? Those poor guys work hard, definitely could use a drink after coming up from underground :)/>/>

Exactly. If anyone deserves a cold brew after a long day, it's these guys.

miners.JPG

I don't know... remember that in the US the drinking age is 21 so a "minor" in this case is someone under 21. Some of my friends had been on multiple combat tours by the time they were 20. If an old WWII Island Hopper buys that 20 year old Marine a drink, he is in violation of the law.

Having said that I don't know the particulars of this case-- I just want to point out that the "minor" served may be a combat vet adult. I know guys who were combat wounded, disabled, and discharged before they hit drinking age. Its not that crazy to me to see them having a beer given to them, especially at a VFW

Just sayin'

Having to be 21 years old before you can drink alcohol is....unfathomable. No wonder the Yanks suck at drinking.

Vince

21? Bloody hell! So you can go and defend your country and put your life at risk, but you can't have a brewski? Is this drinking age new or has it been like that for a while?

Quite some time now. I'm not sure anyone knows why any more, but it probably boils down to something like this:

Simpsons+-+Someone+Think+of+the+Children.jpeg

I'm 38, and as far back as I can remember the drinking are in the U.S was 21. There have been countless lives cut short when people turn 21 and go on a bender. (not saying having a beer is bad). I maybe wrong, but I think there use to be a exception to the age limit on military bases. You could drink at 18 on base if you are in the Military.

Before the 80's, the drinking age for purchasing in Louisiana was 18. At some point they made it illegal to buy or possess in public under 21 but you could still drink in private if 18 or over. Not sure when the age was completely raised to 21 but I believe it was in the mid to late 80's when Congress passed a national minimum drinking age of 21. I think some places have exceptions for religious purposes like ceremonies and taking Communion.

Bill

21? Bloody hell! So you can go and defend your country and put your life at risk, but you can't have a brewski?

The irony is not lost on those who serve, trust me.

Quite some time now. I'm not sure anyone knows why any more, but it probably boils down to something like this:

Simpsons+-+Someone+Think+of+the+Children.jpeg

This^^ Its politically impossible to change now because anyone who tries will be destroyed in an election for "wanting to put kids at risk" etc etc

Having to be 21 years old before you can drink alcohol is....unfathomable. No wonder the Yanks suck at drinking.

Vince

They do it better than NZ'ers as a rule, and our drinking age is 18, after being lowered from 20 fifteen years ago. NZ's general drinking culture is, how shall I put this, less than mature.

Edited by Mumbles

Drinking laws from state to state and province to province can be really different and sometimes make no sense at all. I'm sure it's not that way now, but about 30 years ago I was in Tulsa Oklahoma for a conference held at one of the downtown hotels. In that hotel, they had a bar so my buddies and I ordered a drink after a long boring day of listening to people talk for the sake of talking. The waiter asked us if we were members of the "Club", which meant nothing to us. For $5 each, we then immediately became members of the "Club" so that we could legally order a drink. Apparently only Clubs could serve drinks and I think we also had to bring our own bottle of wine to dinner, where they charged us about $20 for "corkage" to pour it for us. Weird. Meanwhile, on a Sunday yet, you could drive up to any gas station and buy a case of beer and get back behind the wheel. Now that's really stupid, especially 30 years ago!

Are there still archaic alcohol laws like that in the Bible Belt any more?

Drinking laws from state to state and province to province can be really different and sometimes make no sense at all. I'm sure it's not that way now, but about 30 years ago I was in Tulsa Oklahoma for a conference held at one of the downtown hotels. In that hotel, they had a bar so my buddies and I ordered a drink after a long boring day of listening to people talk for the sake of talking. The waiter asked us if we were members of the "Club", which meant nothing to us. For $5 each, we then immediately became members of the "Club" so that we could legally order a drink. Apparently only Clubs could serve drinks and I think we also had to bring our own bottle of wine to dinner, where they charged us about $20 for "corkage" to pour it for us. Weird. Meanwhile, on a Sunday yet, you could drive up to any gas station and buy a case of beer and get back behind the wheel. Now that's really stupid, especially 30 years ago!

Are there still archaic alcohol laws like that in the Bible Belt any more?

Oklahoma is a "three two" state.

Any beverage containing more than 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4% alcohol by volume, that is, most liquors, wines, and typical beer, may only be sold in licensed liquor stores at room temperature.[1]

To circumvent the alcohol content restrictions, beer distributors in Oklahoma primarily sell low-point beer. This allows the beer to be sold not only in convenience stores and supermarkets, but in refrigerated form. The law defines low-point beer as any beverage containing between 0.5% and 3.2% alcohol by weight.[2]

:bandhead2:

Before the 80's, the drinking age for purchasing in Louisiana was 18. At some point they made it illegal to buy or possess in public under 21 but you could still drink in private if 18 or over. Not sure when the age was completely raised to 21 but I believe it was in the mid to late 80's when Congress passed a national minimum drinking age of 21. I think some places have exceptions for religious purposes like ceremonies and taking Communion.

Bill

Actually it happened in 1980 as a result of the federal highway appropriations bill that year. It was a condition on federal highway funds. No 21 minimum age drinking limit by 1982 no funds... Lots of money for the states in that appropriation so most of them caved in by 1982. I remember because in 1982 I turned 21 just as Ohio (I was attending OSU) raised the limit...Just got in under the gun as it were...

The funny thing is that all this did was to make the bars adopt the 18 to party, 21 to drink approach. The bouncers would stamp the hand of anyone between the ages of 18 to 20 but I remember a lot of guys scrubbing them off in the bathroom sinks so I doubt it had any really profound effect on anyone's drinking habits.

Oklahoma is a "three two" state.

Any beverage containing more than 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4% alcohol by volume, that is, most liquors, wines, and typical beer, may only be sold in licensed liquor stores at room temperature.[1]

To circumvent the alcohol content restrictions, beer distributors in Oklahoma primarily sell low-point beer. This allows the beer to be sold not only in convenience stores and supermarkets, but in refrigerated form. The law defines low-point beer as any beverage containing between 0.5% and 3.2% alcohol by weight.[2]

:bandhead2:

Ahhh, that explains a lot and reminds me of an old corny joke by Oscar Wilde about American beer. I'd post it here but it's best left to Google. :rolleyes:

21? Bloody hell! So you can go and defend your country and put your life at risk, but you can't have a brewski? Is this drinking age new or has it been like that for a while?

I'm 21 with 43 years experience at it, as far back as I can remember the drinking age for most of the US has been 21; with that said it seems bass ackwards that you're old enough to be sent to die for folks who will tell ya you can't have a drink with alcoholic content. IIRC a few states had a lower age limit, Ohio at one time had a limit of 18, a guy I was stationed with told me in Louisiana if you could belly up to the bar you could drink, I suppose outside the city limits they see things a bit different. Yet the age limit has it's merits as a very high percentage of teen deaths in cars cite alcohol as a contributing factor. I would love to see it that a man in uniform under 21 is able to have a drink, if he presents his military ID. There are no kids in the military services; only men. On the military bases in the US, what is done in that regard is outside the purview of the locals :whistle: ; off base...the law of the land is in full affect.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Chuck, yes there are still weird laws in the US regarding alcohol. The age was bumped to 21 nationwide quite some time ago after pressure from the Federal Government (used to be each state set its own minimum age), but more restrictive is still a state by state issue. In California you can't buy alcohol after 2am, while others have an earlier cut off and others have no cut off. Apparently Wisconsin cuts you off at 9pm.

There are a lot of dry towns and counties around the nation where you can't buy alcohol at all. Several states only allow alcohol to be sold in special state run dispensaries.

Here is a list of wiki articles describing various states liquor laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Alcohol_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

It looks like the push for a national drinking age of 21 came in 1984 (what an appropriate year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

As far as military personnel go, I thought that there was an exemption for those under 21 but see no mention of it, and clearly some members here would indicate otherwise. Rather hypocritical to me, old enough to get blown up by an IED, but can't be trusted with a beer.

Edited by Aaronw

:bandhead2:/>

So basically the only beer one can buy in OK is p*ss-water? Another reason not to visit OK.

Can't think of any decent beer that would fall into that category. Most of the truly good stuff has an alcohol content of 6% or greater (sometimes much greater).

So basically the only beer one can buy in OK is p*ss-water?

I used to work in a brewery (Miller, back in the early 80s), we brewed 3.2 beer, 4.5 beer and ~6.5 beer. IIRC the 3.2 beer went mostly to military commissaries, that's all that was allowed to be sold on base. The rest went to states/regions like Oklahoma. The 4.5 went to most places and is what most call "normal" beer. The 6.5 was the malt liquor category.

I used to work in a brewery (Miller, back in the early 80s), we brewed 3.2 beer, 4.5 beer and ~6.5 beer. IIRC the 3.2 beer went mostly to military commissaries, that's all that was allowed to be sold on base. The rest went to states/regions like Oklahoma. The 4.5 went to most places and is what most call "normal" beer. The 6.5 was the malt liquor category.

Never knew the military had similar ABV requirements. Interesting... I wonder if that is still the case today? Used to get cheap beer / dip at my local base, can't remember what brands they sold.

Chuck, yes there are still weird laws in the US regarding alcohol.

Thanks Aaron. Some of those laws are still surprisingly restrictive. Meanwhile, in Hawaii (Maui at least), every grocery store has lots of booze and all the cold beer (including high test) that you want. Open liquor on the beaches is not legal, but rarely enforced, so basically almost everything goes!