Phantom-

Knowing you you'll have a baker's dozen of these completed before most of us could get one done, and it will look good, too!

Are you doing the scheme on the box top?

Hmmm...I have worries now...you still seam to have the "Bad boys virus" !? Take some Wasabi and sushi, should be a good medicine! AND do that F-4, it is so seldom to see. Only the green is a bit tricky to get, or to mix I heard.

Wow, for two days off I had maybe 2 hours of building time. Here she be for now.

DSC_0713-1.jpg

DSC_0714-1.jpg

This is the first Phantom in a long time I am going completely out of the box with, as I didn't have as many resin bang seats as I though I had. Kit decals are even being used.

Edited by phantom

Main parts on. Tried the recommended paint and it looks like I have some mixing to do. Not thrilled with it so a little olive drab is in the future.

DSC_0715-1.jpg

Great start to the build!

Tech question:

Are there any differences between a U.S. F-4E and a Japanese F-4EJ from an exterior point of view?

I have a Hasegawa 1/48th scale 30th Anniversary F-4E kit and a CAM 48-035 Japanese F-4EJ JASDF 10th Anniversary decal sheet.

I was wondering if I had to do any modifications to the model in order to match the F-4EJ.

Great start to the build!

Tech question:

Are there any differences between a U.S. F-4E and a Japanese F-4EJ from an exterior point of view?

I have a Hasegawa 1/48th scale 30th Anniversary F-4E kit and a CAM 48-035 Japanese F-4EJ JASDF 10th Anniversary decal sheet.

I was wondering if I had to do any modifications to the model in order to match the F-4EJ.

Yep the wings and stabs. USAF has the slats where the JSDF has the earliest edition of the wings. Very noticeable difference. Also the fin tips. Early JSDF have blank fin tips compared to the tiny bullet on the end of the USAF. The Kai (current) JSDF has two tiny RWRs and different wing tips sensors completely.

Phantom

I am soooo looking forward to this build! I have the Hasegawa kit with the same markings in 1/72 and I keep pushing it to the back of the build pile due to the color matching/markings. I think your build will be enough inspiration and help to get me moving on that kit!

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:/>

Well the grey is on. Still trying to figure a good mix for the green. Model master makes the colour out of the bottle and I am sure its right. But it is VERY different from the decals.

Might put the decals on first and then try to match the paint after they dry.

DSC_0716-1.jpg

Pollie, yep. Have two in the stash. 1 more for sure to be done.......maybe both.

sw, yep that is what it is there for. Had intended to build this for the bad boys GB but ran out of time.

Pollie, yep. Have two in the stash. 1 more for sure to be done.......maybe both.

sw, yep that is what it is there for. Had intended to build this for the bad boys GB but ran out of time.

In looking at it again, I can see the MiG-21's pointed intake on the nose. We had the opportunity to have 2 time MiG killer, Col. Norm Wells in our museum this week to see his old mount; F-4C #63-7647, in which he scored a MiG-17 kill as a WSO on June 5, 1967. In looking at the MiG-21 and MiG-17 we also have on display he said, "no matter what you try to do, performing ACM against another F-4 just doesn't cut it. You've got to have an F-5, or better yet, a real MiG to go up against in training."

Thanks Phantom, I really think you nailed this color perfectly! Even better, I prefer ModelMaster paints so your solution will work really well for me! I take it that you used the MM standard Olive Drab and not the faded olive drab to mix 50/50 with the 096 green?

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

Thanks guys, Mike the paint I used was both model master 096 I think for the green mixes about half with model master olive drab.

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage