Eduard 1/48 Nieuport 17 in Russian service

and now trying to fit that nice PE assembly inside the fuselage left half...

that's now that the "fun" begins... seems like the floor of my pit is larger than the inside of the fuselage...sad.gifnot sure how it will survive/resist to the closing of the fuselage...

but at first glance, it doesn't look that bad...

DSCN7029_zpsc5943ebf.jpg

the PE set used for this build, give a very nice woodcage assembly... and looks really good... even with my inexperience in such complex sub-assembly... the problem here doesn't come only from the PE set... but also from the plastic parts of the kit, which, in some case are too long (like the vertical aluminium center beam) ...and kit's instructions could have been more explicit in the location of where should be glued some parts...

here's some other photos of where i am tonight with that build...

DSCN7032_zps93d02dd7.jpg

DSCN7033_zpsc3bba930.jpg

woops... that close it looks like my work is covered with dust... i've take a quick look at the real thing... it isn't that bad... blow some breath on... (it's now ok)

DSCN7035_zps907c3328.jpg

DSCN7038_zps168dc9b5.jpg

that thing look not so terrible when zoomed 6X (at least) ...but i'm rather satisfied by the real thing! not perfect, for sure... still learning new modeling skills! smile.gif

small update, just to place some images of the closed fuselage.

seams have been puttied and sand down as smooth as i've could...

DSCN7056_zpsf66ed767.jpg

DSCN7057_zps2ddb5859.jpg

the closing of the fuselage didn't happened without big troubles... the PE floor under the seat literally bend (it was too wide for the fuselage) ...but it isn't much visible from the pit entrance... and the seat had just to be push a little to be settle at right angle.

but i foresee othe incoming trouble caused by the PE floor of this build. i'll have to sand paper thin, the part of the lower wing, that close the fuselage, to make it fit... fun fun fun time ahead!blink.gif

little update...after nearly a week without any... not that i haven't done plenty of works on my four builds..

first, i've thinned the middle section of the wing to make it fit... (here compared to the normal wing, for another of my build that don't have to deal with the PE floor)

DSCN7074_zpsf0e3c9ad.jpg

DSCN7076_zpsd2d1059c.jpg

i have also done some improvement, using eduard's wire stretchers set. to enhance the holes i've made earlier in the process, on the stabs, that where slightly too large... so i've used tiny PE oval rings.

DSCN7085_zps236db008.jpg

i've put a layer of primer...sand a little... and it looks better. rather satisfied (but haven't take photos)

lower wing have been glued, the whole model get a primer coating... some sanding...some more primer... till i get the desired result. (or was convinced i would't get better finish...and risk it turn worst... sometime, a thin line not to cross!)

DSCN7137_zps22ea067d.jpg

DSCN7139_zps0cb10174.jpg

DSCN7140_zps0612a6e5.jpg

time for a little update...

rudders have nothing to align them to fuselage (no pins, nothing) so i decided to drill holes and put so wire to help assembly... drill in a less than 1 mm wiide rudder is not that easy...

DSCN7169_zps15a60af8.jpg

DSCN7170_zpsdb2e3b07.jpg

and i broke my 0.03 drill bit in the process...expl.gif (those drill are very fragile...) ...i ordered 2 replacements...

then i begins to spray some aluminium color paint... i have masked the contour and ribs... in hope to create a nice effect... not completed yet... but here the base...

DSCN7192_zps867455f1.jpg

DSCN7193_zpse73a6fe5.jpg

metallic colors always give me some trouble to paint... and to take good photos ...

base colors are polished aluminium (because i have plenty of) and white aluminium.

DSCN7194_zps32f5aa5d.jpg

DSCN7195_zps626caa27.jpg

DSCN7196_zps0a5129a0.jpg

DSCN7198_zpsa5b6b795.jpg

DSCN7199_zpsca0e16f4.jpg

DSCN7200_zpsa0bb3df1.jpg

DSCN7201_zps49794c05.jpg

it is now receiving some clear coat to protect the paint... and i'll do some touch ups to achieve a better finish ... still a lot of work to do...

Thanks Ken

progress is made, mainly on my 3 Nieuports 17... my Nieuport 11 is doing stationnary.... (or more exactly, one step forward... one step backward...sad.gif)

those builds are not as advanced as they might look because lots of work have been done on the fuselage area... but i have still done nothing in the landing gear area...

nonetheless... i've have applied decals (most of) this evening/night... with various degree of success/luck...

tomorrow i'll have to coat them somehow to protect them...

first, an underside view of the 3 wings... 3 russian planes, but none have the same roundels!

DSCN7242_zps898fcf87.jpg

everything went right with the "mermaid" decals... so, i'm happy! as it was that bird that i was mainly wishing to add to my Russian aircraft models collection.

DSCN7243_zps690d6c73.jpg

DSCN7244_zps204e018a.jpg

Edited by mingwin

here we are for a very little weekly update... been busy with other things than modeling (i'm in the middle of a two week vacation... i mostly have to wait till late night to have some modeling time)

so i haven't done much progress..

been doing some machineguns... (here's the 3 that will goes on the Ni-17's) ...not completed yet... have to wait the good assembly step to doing so.

DSCN7250_zpse2c2859d.jpg

another thing i've been doing this week (today, precisely)

was to try to replicate the fabric rope/elastic bands that holds the wheels shafts on the landing structs (that i have glued earlier this week)

it's a rather visible feature of the nieuports landing gear (my guess is that those rope/elastic are acting as chock absorbers for tle landings (on the real aircraft)

but i understand that a kit manufacturer can hardly replicate this in plastic or PE...

there is 4 of them, as my nieuport 11 will also have its own... its done with a regular black thread and CA glue...

DSCN7402_zps46c6c03a.jpg

DSCN7403_zps341ed265.jpg

DSCN7404_zpsacaf0428.jpg

DSCN7406_zps8af63562.jpg

i know they are far from being perfect... perfection is too far out of reach for me anyway!

but it will give a nice "touch" in this area of the model...

Edited by mingwin

and this one doesn't make exception! as my 3 Ni-17 are at the very same stage of completion.

aluminium tape have been use to give a special "cachet" to the access panels and heat panel (the name i give to the part that is on the underside, just aft the engine cowl)

lacing have been paint (buff) and decals (black)... i've been doing some work on the wheels (but haven't take pictures yet)

DSCN7413_zps5b245378.jpg

DSCN7414_zps40ee8845.jpg

been adding some "screws" on the access panels (i would hardly thing they've use rivets there...) using an hypodermic needle.

DSCN7415_zpsf9b79024.jpg

i'll have to put some flat clear over the lacing area as the decals have a undesired glossy finish...

DSCN7416_zps05805f3c.jpg

and again, finally (for today) my 3 Ni-17 side by side...

DSCN7418_zps46badc0e.jpg

i'll soon begin some rigging work...

thank you ...to give a glance at my builds...

and, as always, comments are welcome!

have a nice modeling time!

Edited by mingwin

so... here i am... my very first attempt at rigging... what a tedious task!

i haven't done that much yet... but that give me a glimpse of what i'm about to do for the next two weeks (or even slightly more...)

even with the best tools, it was hard on the nerves! never work on something that small before...

and i only done the aft rigging on one aircraft yet! ouchBANGHEAD2.jpg

in the process i've broke one of my control hornsad.gif...then put too much CA glue... then have to remove the mess with debonder... i also have some trouble with the gluing the wire to a horn... all sets wrong (partly because i've use a CA glue accelerator)...so i have to use debonder again to set it right...

my first conclusion : accelerator is a must-have for rigging! ...and debonder is a must for any who use CA glue...but must be cautious with both... the first can set something in wrong position in less than a second! ...the latter can unbound...but attacks the paint as well...

here' the pics:

DSCN7419_zpscaad9d02.jpg

debond have caused the white cloud on the stab....

DSCN7421_zps99b9216b.jpg

even if it doesn't turn perfect, i'm rather please with the overall look of that first attempt at rigging! "Ushi's rig that thing" wire is also a must for the task! it's so fine, thin, and elastic!

DSCN7422_zps4517a9a6.jpg

you can see the big blob of CA glue that build up without i notice on the broken control horn... i later try to repair and clean as much as possible...

DSCN7423_zps344bba18.jpg

the other control horn was broke earlier in the build process... those parts are sooooooo small...the holes to put a wire in, also... can't believe i manage to do this! even with optivisor! ...couldn't barely see what i was doing!

DSCN7424_zps389bf5d7.jpg

i have use some small PE parts from the eduard PE set to replicate the wire fixture to the control horn. those are not glued, just the wire running through, using holes at each extremity of the small PE part...

DSCN7425_zps6c0c12bf.jpg

DSCN7427_zps78eb9635.jpg

i've try to repair the CA glue mess, with moderate success... but man! that mess was 3mm wide!!! i had to be cautious not to touch the horn with debonder... sad.gif

on the topside i spray some clear (a mix of gloss and flat to achieve the same finish as it was before) to make the cloud disappear...

DSCN7428_zpse77d41ca.jpg

still some slight clouding in some viewing angles...

DSCN7429_zps4075fdb7.jpg

DSCN7430_zps7553d7d9.jpg

but it isn't that much obvious "in person"...

so, that will be all for today! i tire... this was a hard task... but i'm proud of trying new things and new techniques!

landing gear is rigged and glued to the fuselage... gluing the landing gear have caused my some troubles... their assembly had kind of "warp"/bend when i did the rope/elastic band ... so lining up pins and holes was rather hard... that one was done in third rank among my attempts, so it suffer les that the two others i did before...

DSCN7440_zpsb787cb2c.jpg