Eduard 1/48 Nieuport 17 in Russian service

slowly taking shape... i've finish rigging on that one!woo.gif...and when i'll finish the 4 WWI models i'm doing for that group build, i think i'll do jets for a couple of years!biggrin.gif

placement of the top wing wasn't an easy task... (more precisely, a nightmarish job... almost nothing went right... no pins align with any holes...sad.gif...none! ...and i broke many many parts, many times, while attempting...crying.gifnearly drives me crazy...

DSCN7530_zps4da3c673.jpg

DSCN7530_zps4da3c673.jpg

DSCN7535_zps266e623d.jpg

DSCN7536_zps0a9cf3cc.jpg

DSCN7538_zps924416e1.jpg

DSCN7539_zps4ee925fd.jpg

the cockpit area is done, as i've put the windshield at its place...

DSCN7543_zps1cfa6562.jpg

some touch-ups will be required here and there ...

DSCN7547_zps5367ca72.jpg

contrary to appearances, there is still quite lots of work to do before i can call it "done"... but i have great hopes that it will be completed before the end of the month!

i think i will call it "done" for now... not that i give up on anything... but the last week of final tweeks/touch-up have almost turn to nightmare in some occasion... and i have been force to re-do some of the rigging as any manipulation could end up in broken rigging (not necessarly on the very build, but on any of my Ni-17 that where in their final stage...) ...so, the less i touch it...the more chance i have to take pictures of it before anything new happen...

so here it is...

DSCN7572_zps03f29742.jpg

DSCN7573_zps2c00b7a3.jpg

DSCN7574_zps0f554273.jpg

DSCN7576_zps6f5612f2.jpg

Excellent work.

What do you use for rigging?

thank you

for the rigging i've use the excellent Uschi's "rig that thing" elastic rigging wire... regular (wings rig) and fine (control wires) ...quite expensive stuff...but also very effective. i'm not sure i would have been able to get that king of results with other stuff... (and the rigging looks way better in "person" with the model which is smaller that the photos might shows...)

i also use Part PE fret for wire stretchers and control horns.

How does Rig That Thing compare to EZLine?

I've been using that for a while now and while I really like it, it looks out of scale and I'm not super happy with the color.

Here's a 1/48 Nieuport that I did using EZLine:

IMG_0032_zps34b607b2.jpg

I think if I use that thickness of EZLine on the Felixstowe it's not going to look good.

Is Rig That Thing pretty flexible/elastic?

€10 for 150 feet isn't that expensive. That would last me a lifetime.

How does Rig That Thing compare to EZLine?

I've been using that for a while now and while I really like it, it looks out of scale and I'm not super happy with the color.

Here's a 1/48 Nieuport that I did using EZLine:

IMG_0032_zps34b607b2.jpg

I think if I use that thickness of EZLine on the Felixstowe it's not going to look good.

Is Rig That Thing pretty flexible/elastic?

€10 for 150 feet isn't that expensive. That would last me a lifetime.

Uschi's stuff is pretty extensible/stretchable (i don't have exact % figure, but i'd say, easily twice...) ...and was never to blame for all the troubles i had with my models (it was mostly related to my inexperience with rigging... and sometime my lack of patience...)

i know it isn't that expensible "length wise" ...it's just that the price tag might be a little steep for some, hence the warning... for me, i bought two rolls, the "standard" and the "fine", so, with shipping (from an ebay seller) it was 37$US... nearly twice the amount i'd spend for one 1/48 Nieuport17... that's what decided me to do more aircraft for that GB! i still have more than 95% of my rolls, and keep it till when i decided to go back to WWI stuff (but for now, i'll have a lots of jets to do...) and i have absolutely no regrets at all about that buy!

i never use EZline, so i can't compare... but while i was doing my query to find the best rigging stuff, i was unable to find EZ line , as small , and at better plice than uschi's stuff...

Nice Nieuport, BTW70.gif