1/72 Su-17M by Modelsvit

• 3 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, they were used in early days of Afghanistan war, before replaced by M3 and M4 variants.

EDIT: According to my sources, 217th PIAB was the first air strike unit based in Afghanistan, starting ops in March 1980 and initially equipped with Su-17s and Su-17Ms.

Edited by Sebastijan

If I'm not mistaken, they were used in early days of Afghanistan war, before replaced by M3 and M4 variants.

EDIT: According to my sources, 217th PIAB was the first air strike unit based in Afghanistan, starting ops in March 1980 and initially equipped with Su-17s and Su-17Ms.

Thanks a lot!

Hope Modelsvit would release M2, M3 and M4 later.

I have a feeling that a lot of the modelers are looking forward to the M2,3,4 and they may be waiting for marketing reasons. I will be picking one up for sure, but Sebastijan's build has ben seriously looking at picking up an earlier model kit as well.

Cheers,

Hoops

I get the Ukrainian magazine Aviatsiya i Vremya (Aviation & Time) - and each issue has a 'monograph' featuring a particular aircraft - complete with what look to be accurate drawings of the type.

I have noticed that about a year after the monograph is published, a kit will appear of the same type - usually kitted by Amodel - and latterly - Modelsvit.

Guess what's in the latest (6/2014) issue???

The Su-17 - with drawings for the S-32/Su-17/M2/M3/M3R/M4/UM3.

You can usually download the AiV drawings from here (they end in 'aiv') - although these particular drawings aren't scanned and posted yet - no doubt they will be soon ??

Ken

I get the Ukrainian magazine Aviatsiya i Vremya (Aviation & Time) - and each issue has a 'monograph' featuring a particular aircraft - complete with what look to be accurate drawings of the type.

I have noticed that about a year after the monograph is published, a kit will appear of the same type - usually kitted by Amodel - and latterly - Modelsvit.

You can usually download the AiV drawings from here (they end in 'aiv') - although these particular drawings aren't scanned and posted yet - no doubt they will be soon ??

Ken

S-32?

This one?

http://www.redstar.gr/Foto_red/Eng/X_Planes/S_32.html

It is possible to have a copy of it,please?I have two Berkuts sitting in my stash and I don't know what to do with one of them ^^

Sorry Mizar - not the FSW S-37 prototype, but the series production version of the Su-17.

After the protoype swing-wing S-221, Sukhoi's in-house number for the production Su-17 series was S-32 - followed by the S-32M, S-32MK, S-32M2 etc.

In fact all the variants of the Su-17/22 until the Su-17M were S-32's - after which they switched to S-52 and then S-54.

The confusion arises because Sukhoi re-used the S-32 number early on in the FSW demonstrator development - then switched to S-37.

When the S-37 designation then started to get confused for the Su-37 Flanker, they switched to Su-47 :woot.gif:

Strictly speaking this was also wrong - because aircraft should only receive the MILITARY designation of Su-XX when they enter Air Force service.

Sukhoi use the in-house code of S-XX for swept wing designs and T-XX for delta and straight-wing designs.

Ken

Sorry Mizar - not the FSW S-37 prototype, but the series production version of the Su-17.

After the protoype swing-wing S-221, Sukhoi's in-house number for the production Su-17 series was S-32 - followed by the S-32M, S-32MK, S-32M2 etc.

In fact all the variants of the Su-17/22 until the Su-17M were S-32's - after which they switched to S-52 and then S-54.

The confusion arises because Sukhoi re-used the S-32 number early on in the FSW demonstrator development - then switched to S-37.

When the S-37 designation then started to get confused for the Su-37 Flanker, they switched to Su-47 :woot.gif:/>

Strictly speaking this was also wrong - because aircraft should only receive the MILITARY designation of Su-XX when they enter Air Force service.

Sukhoi use the in-house code of S-XX for swept wing designs and T-XX for delta and straight-wing designs.

Ken

I see,thanks for the explanation...I do wonder how Namco modelled their ingame S-32 as I can't find anything of it other than ten or so pictures :-\

I would love to see them release original Su-17 as well - it looked so brutal.

Ken

A 'pocket' guide on the Sukhoi website is quite helpful also; the first three aircraft in the gallery appear to represent the M/M2 which really ought to be kitted, IMO. Maybe there weren't too many in operation? Still a handsome beast though.

Would this type have been designated 'Su-20' for non-Russian users? There appear to be some photos and profiles in a review of Polish Wings 9 by Dariusz Karnas (Stratus). To be truthful, I'm having a bit of a fight establishing the family tree with any certainty... :bandhead2:

Ken

Flankerman,

I have tried to download those drawings in the past but many (nearly all) seem to be corrupted. All I get is some odd text and no images for the plans. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

I have tried to download those drawings in the past but many (nearly all) seem to be corrupted. All I get is some odd text and no images for the plans. Any suggestions?

Never had any problem downloading. Perhaps it's opening the files that's the problem. That could be because the file names are in Cyrillic, not in Latin. If so, rename the files or installed Russian language support.