• 3 weeks later...

Here are the seats, almost done (need a flat coat to tie it all together and allow dry-brushing).

IMG_0379_zps930367b9.jpg

The headrest on one was molded with the molds misaligned. This means the finished seat is just a little off in all three axes. This will be a closed-canopy build.

Note that the seat belts are simply painted Tamiya tape.

Edited by bdt13
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm beginning to see why there is a new tool. Breaking out the Tamiya putty and the Mr. Surfacer in quantity here.

Wing undersides have gaps to both the top wing and the fuselage

IMG_0390_zpscfec153e.jpg

Fit issues at the fuselage panels by the exhausts

IMG_0389_zpse2849738.jpg

Tail halves. Each is part of a fuselage half

IMG_0388_zpsf1bca4d9.jpg

Top wing to rear fuselage. This may become the most visible/problematic of the joints

IMG_0387_zps25db65b3.jpg

Nose halves. The nose itself lined up fairly well, but the coaming for the cockpit did not. Sanding to follow.

IMG_0386_zpsc54bfca4.jpg

Overall assembly done primarily with Tenax. Testors liquid cement and Tamiya extra-thin also used in places.

Yeah, mine looked just like that before I binned it. With gaps that large you should probably stuff them with plastic rod and then putty the surface instead of just using lots of putty.

I also see another reason for the new tool - Kawasaki later changed the shape of the structure just above the tail pipes, and the shape of this model doesn't allow for new parts or modification of the tool.

With gaps that large you should probably stuff them with plastic rod and then putty the surface instead of just using lots of putty.

I chose the Mr Surfacer route already. We'll see where it gets me. I'm hoping to take of the excess with solvent rather than sanding in order to minimize the loss of detail.