if the fabric that cover an airplane is painted with aluminium dope on the outer side, will it be painted the same way on the inner side, or will it be leave natural (linen color?) inside?

thanks

Simon

I don't know if any of them were painted on the inside-unless maybe it was pilot's preference. I'm no expert but it's been my observation that fabric was left natural and wood was just varnished.

Ken

fine! thank you guys for your inputs.

so i'll go for "grayish colored linen" color for the required part. (it won,t be very seeable when the main fuselage part will be glued together...maybe a little by a crack near the seat... but i'll know at least i'd try to get it right!)

• 1 month later...

Did a little digging around on The Aerodrome on this subject about a month ago. Seems the consensus there is some shade of darkish gray. Early tires could also be white or pink. Someone posted a photo of an Albatros two-seater sitting on flat and deteriorated tires in a museum that are supposed to be original and are dark gray.

Ken

According to various references like this and this, carbon black only came into use as a life-enhancing rubber additive a little before WWI.

As always, primary photographic evidence is likely best for any build. :)

• 3 months later...