Like being a kid at a candy store and not being allowed to sample any, I will be spending the day at NAS Lemoore and have to work. The company I work for is installing new registers for NextCom, the Navy Exchange, and I got lucky enough to get NAS Lemoore. Of course the F/A-18 nut that I am jumped for joy, till I realized how far from the airfield I will be :bandhead2:

Sorry, just had to share my pain.

Well, while I am out on the flightline tomorrow in the 108 degree heat, I will be thinking about you.

I go in at noon, but if you can swing it, I can get you on to look at the planes before then....

Well, while I am out on the flightline tomorrow in the 108 degree heat, I will be thinking about you.

I go in at noon, but if you can swing it, I can get you on to look at the planes before then....

If you come by the exchange and see a guy in a blue denim shirt and dark tan cargo pants working on a register, it should be me.

If you come by the exchange and see a guy in a blue denim shirt and dark tan cargo pants working on a register, it should be me.

Heh, if I get the chance, I will stop by. The only thing the NEX has on Ops is the gas station, and 2, short order diners which are in the hangars. If you go up the road towards Ops, there is a park and view area where you can watch the planes from, it is on the west side, about 5 miles up from Main side. From there you can cut across Grangeville back to 41 and go to Fresno.

Matt, I know the feeling.

I used to work about a half mile from the perimeter fence of MCAS El Toro back in the late 80s. Marine Hornets, Scooters, Phantoms, Intruders, Herds and all the guests that visited! Jet noise all day long!

Enjoy what you can!

-Gregg

I feel your pain. When I worked I had one assignment where I regularly had to visit a project team on RNAS Yeovilton. All that history (the FAA Museum is also here) and I was in meetings! However, one day I walked out into the car park, and there was the Historic Flight Swordfish practising its display routine over the airfield, so there were compensations.

Edited by MikeC

I ended up spending most of the day working at the remote stores around the base, except the gas station/mini mart on the ops side of the base. Was told of a place I could have watched the Super Hornets doing touch and goes, but between the heat and the need to get the job done, it was not an option. Did end up talking to a couple of pilots from VFA-25 and a pilot and WSO from NSAWC. Also, did to get to catch occasional -18s in-flight.

I would also like to say that I would rather do these installs, then at a regular retail store. Everyone was very nice and understanding, as we were changing out registers as the various location were open for business. So, from a big supporter of the US Armed Forces and F/A-18 fan thank you.

Got a quick pic on the way out

IMG_1357.jpg

Edited by Matt Shropshire

I was pretty busy and sweaty all day myself. I did manage to get a (crappy) cellphie for you though... If you ever get back this way, let me know, I can give you the .5 cent tour!

photo5_zpsf4747f17.jpg

Heh, if I get the chance, I will stop by. The only thing the NEX has on Ops is the gas station, and 2, short order diners which are in the hangars. If you go up the road towards Ops, there is a park and view area where you can watch the planes from, it is on the west side, about 5 miles up from Main side. From there you can cut across Grangeville back to 41 and go to Fresno.

I know exactly where you're talking about. It really is a blast to sit there and watch flight ops. Hornets were doing FCLP when I was there. It was awesome!

• 1 month later...