1/48 NACA vent test cast

I spent the past couple of days working on a master for the Hasegawa Tomcat NACA vents. No wonder you guys wanted one! Here's the first test cast glued to the kit. I made it thicker so it fits around the gun bay detail. That will help give me a better casting rate. With the thin parts, I'm lucky to get 50%. In making it this way, though, I found it needed to be sanded down a little bit to make everything flush. I was also trying to build in for any resin shrinkage that might occur, but there doesn't seem to be any. Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like. I combined both kit parts into one piece and rearranged the gun hump to fit better. I also attempted to give the vents a more "hollow" appearance, although you can't see it very well in the picture. I'll do a few more test casts and if they come out decent, I'll ramp up production.

9333017_orig.jpg

I spent the past couple of days working on a master for the Hasegawa Tomcat NACA vents. No wonder you guys wanted one! Here's the first test cast glued to the kit. I made it thicker so it fits around the gun bay detail. That will help give me a better casting rate. With the thin parts, I'm lucky to get 50%. In making it this way, though, I found it needed to be sanded down a little bit to make everything flush. I was also trying to build in for any resin shrinkage that might occur, but there doesn't seem to be any. Anyway, here's a picture of what it looks like. I combined both kit parts into one piece and rearranged the gun hump to fit better. I also attempted to give the vents a more "hollow" appearance, although you can't see it very well in the picture. I'll do a few more test casts and if they come out decent, I'll ramp up production.

9333017_orig.jpg

Looks AWESOME!!!

I wouldn't worry about the piece being too thick. It's not that tough to remove the plastic that makes up the gun bays, and if it increases your good-cast rate, then it is a win win for everyone.

Will you do the other two major gun vent configurations as well?

Awesome work!

Looks AWESOME!!!

I wouldn't worry about the piece being too thick. It's not that tough to remove the plastic that makes up the gun bays, and if it increases your good-cast rate, then it is a win win for everyone.

Will you do the other two major gun vent configurations as well?

Awesome work!

That's been the request. My only problem is that I don't have a Hasegawa kit with the standard vent. If someone would like to send me the piece, I'd return a resin piece in trade.

That's been the request. My only problem is that I don't have a Hasegawa kit with the standard vent. If someone would like to send me the piece, I'd return a resin piece in trade.

Darren I can hook you up... Just PM me your address and I'll send you the part.

Edited by Nick Kessel