I got a little done today as well :D

The ceiling console got some PE attention....

IMG_1112_zpscfdc53ea.jpg

As did the office it self...

IMG_1113_zpsdf807874.jpg

Then it was time for the sidewalls, 3 layers of PE...neat :D

IMG_1114_zps1db3e7d6.jpg

Yet it still wasn`t enough; had to add this little joystick to the WSO side

IMG_1116_zpsf00bf742.jpg

Then it was time to prime everything in Alclad black primer and impale on tooth picks.

IMG_1117_zps4ae9e753.jpg

Well then with that done I turned to the nose wheel well...

Sheeesh, you don´t break up a nose wheel well like that! a horrid seam in the middle! :(

IMG_1118_zps9fa81803.jpg

Mumble, well there aint any wheel wells put there so I guess I have to make do, perhaps spice it up a bit...

That´s all for tonight!

Cheers!

Its a shame Paragon doesnt make the F-111 engine nozzles any more, they where essential to almost all the F-111 builds Ive ever seen.

Shutting down the engines separately was required, which meant one was open the other closed.

If they are not then it is still powered and if it is a number of other factors come into play... not least of which is the blow in doors being open, but the stabs can be down, they usually were when it taxied to the TAB-V shelter at LN and UH

Its a shame Paragon doesnt make the F-111 engine nozzles any more, they where essential to almost all the F-111 builds Ive ever seen.

Shutting down the engines separately was required, which meant one was open the other closed.

If they are not then it is still powered and if it is a number of other factors come into play... not least of which is the blow in doors being open, but the stabs can be down, they usually were when it taxied to the TAB-V shelter at LN and UH

Same as with the Tomcat, TF-30 specific issue?

However didn't the other engine close the turkey feathers after some time when the pressure bled out?

"Firs PE glued into place...and I´m childishly happy about it. BTW here I noticed something from my refs...what looks like speakers above the grills I glued in actually isn´t speakers!

Think the have to do with the release of the cockpit pod...some locking cylinders or other."

The things that you refer to (and scratched), are actually Thermos bottles, for hot beverages. These were definitely used on the early -111's (I saw them at Nellis when I worked on the "A" models). Later, and more commonly, it was rare to see the Thermos' used; more often you would simply see the open hole where the bottles went. The locking forks remained, however.

Nice work so far, and I look forward to seeing the completed model.

Edited by Marv

Janne, with the entrance of the HB Aardvark kit, and it's deeper MLG well; are you planning on going with plasticard to deepen the MLG well and add some detail to the Academy kit?. The Academy kits' MLG well is really too shallow, when you look at the gear that has go into it, no way would those wheels fit, if it were the real article. I may be tempted to do some drilling, in an attempt to allow some movement in the MLG; though no one would know but me :woot.gif: ;) . Would it be retractable....NO WAY!!!, just hinged up and down :D .

"Firs PE glued into place...and I´m childishly happy about it. BTW here I noticed something from my refs...what looks like speakers above the grills I glued in actually isn´t speakers!

Think the have to do with the release of the cockpit pod...some locking cylinders or other."

The things that you refer to (and scratched), are actually Thermos bottles, for hot beverages. These were definitely used on the early -111's (I saw them at Nellis when I worked on the "A" models). Later, and more commonly, it was rare to see the Thermos' used; more often you would simply see the open hole where the bottles went. The locking forks remained, however.

Nice work so far, and I look forward to seeing the completed model.

LoL, now that's really useful info! Who would have thought?

thanx Marv!

Janne, with the entrance of the HB Aardvark kit, and it's deeper MLG well; are you planning on going with plasticard to deepen the MLG well and add some detail to the Academy kit?. The Academy kits' MLG well is really too shallow, when you look at the gear that has go into it, no way would those wheels fit, if it were the real article. I may be tempted to do some drilling, in an attempt to allow some movement in the MLG; though no one would know but me :woot.gif:/> ;)/> . Would it be retractable....NO WAY!!!, just hinged up and down :D/> .

Oh my, haven't thought that far yet... something to keep in mind :)

Did the F-111E have a HUD on the pilot side?

It's not really a HUD, per se, because it has very linited functions, mostly associated with targeting. When I worked avionics on the old F-111A model at Nellis, the aircraft was equipped with the LCOS, or Lead Computing Optical Sight; this unit was directly in the upper part of the instrument panel, directly in the vision field of the pilot. The LCOS had settings for mil depression, to accurize the bombing function. It also had A2A settings, but not much else. I used to mess with the LCOS, whenever I had to sit in the left seat (during ground maintenance); the display reticle was very colorful, with red and green colors.

While no LCOS was installed in front of the WSO in the A/E models, the D model did, indeed, have a HUD installed, and was on both sides of the cockpit. This makes sense because with a full-featured HUD, the WSO could then use it to fly the aircaft, unlike the LCOS which had very limited flight systems features. I do not know if the F model had the LCOS or HUDs.

It's not really a HUD, per se, because it has very linited functions, mostly associated with targeting. When I worked avionics on the old F-111A model at Nellis, the aircraft was equipped with the LCOS, or Lead Computing Optical Sight; this unit was directly in the upper part of the instrument panel, directly in the vision field of the pilot. The LCOS had settings for mil depression, to accurize the bombing function. It also had A2A settings, but not much else. I used to mess with the LCOS, whenever I had to sit in the left seat (during ground maintenance); the display reticle was very colorful, with red and green colors.

While no LCOS was installed in front of the WSO in the A/E models, the D model did, indeed, have a HUD installed, and was on both sides of the cockpit. This makes sense because with a full-featured HUD, the WSO could then use it to fly the aircaft, unlike the LCOS which had very limited flight systems features. I do not know if the F model had the LCOS or HUDs.

Thanx Marv:D

This is what I like about ARC... There are ppl here that worked with the actual things and are willing to share their knowledge and experiences!

You guys rock!

The work on the pit continues...

The pit parts that were primed in black now got dusted with FS 36475, yup it´s a lighter color than the standard cockpit color is...

but that´s because I prime din black, had I used the correct color it would have been to dark with a black background.

See how the details pop...

Side wall...

IMG_1119_zps0df1ba70.jpg

rear bulkhead...

IMG_1121_zpsd263b8b6.jpg

the office....

IMG_1122_zps3c368fb9.jpg

The office chairs...

IMG_1123_zps8437eeff.jpg

Now on to a study in black...

Here´s the ceiling consol....flat black.

IMG_1125_zps58fddda6.jpg

To make the details softly pop I have to dry brush it, this is important...never ever drybrush black with silver, the contrast is to big and it doesn´t look right!

I start with a dark grey and a soft round brush...

IMG_1126_zpsd2517089.jpg

After the first round of dry brushing with dark grey you can already see the details start to emerge....

IMG_1128_zpsde9efdcb.jpg

After the second round they really pop, now I used FS 36475 for dry brushing...sort of in the middle of the range.

IMG_1131_zpsa664c94b.jpg

Then the final round with a very light grey, eall softly just over certain details to make them show even more, buttons and such.

IMG_1132_zpsa8aa3946.jpg

Then some detail painting....yeah the stripes on the grippy thingy doesn´t look 100% but this is quite a small part and the viewing distance is far enough away to not make much difference.

IMG_1133_zpsb8e42ba9.jpg

Now it´s too darn hot in the hobby room so I have to escape for a while and continue painting the cockpit tomorrow or so...

Cheers!

Jan,

If you want some really nice exhausts, G-Factor makes a resin set - highly recommended, and you can get them from Sprue Brothers.

Cheers,

-Doug :)/>

Out of stock I'm afraid :(

Ok the heat here is unbearable, my hobby room is on the afternoon sun side and it´s got concrete walls...it´s a pizza oven!

Despite that I managed a little update for you while bathing in my sweat :P (just thought you should know that)

I got some flat black in the pit....

IMG_1134_zpsfd40c000.jpg

The IP...

IMG_1135_zpsace316ca.jpg

and the rear bulkhead.

IMG_1136_zps2b5b84d7.jpg

and painted the seats.

IMG_1137_zpsa9e57d51.jpg

Well that´s all actually then I hade to get out of there and rip my clothes off and take a cold shower!

Cheers!

Airgore,

Just found your build thread, and I'm already quite impressed with the rather high skill level of your build . Being a long time prop man whose just started to build some jets, I have practically zero knowledge of the real deal, so I try to learn a thing or two about jet aircraft when I can from the builds I follow. Your build certainly qualifies.

Joel