BUFF Master Design

Anybody had any experience with the BUFF Master Design Update set for the AMT B-52H? (Corrected engines...lumps & bumps...etc.) If so...can you share your thoughts? And...where do I get this update set?

Thanks!

You need to do a search on the set, and also Superbug Models.

There is a resurrected thread about the company that is currently being discussed.

I say proceed with extreme caution.

Curt

I've got it, shapes & casting look pretty good in the box.

BUFF Master/Super Bug/Golden Dragon is a polarizing subject, you will find strong opinions here about past business practices.

Spruebrothers carries BMD, I recommend buying through them as opposed to straight from BUFF Master.

HTH

Jonah

I think the stock that Sprue Brothers has on hand was from their acquisition of Great Models webstore and is not a regularly stocked item. The sets are sold "As is" and any problems are noted to be settled with BMD.

Ken

If you ignore all the bad feelings some people have for the kid who started it (and remember at the time this bad feeling stems from he was just a kid) and go directly to the update set then its really rather very good.

Its the only update with any completeness about it and it while mine remain unbuilt I have to say it looks very good indeed.

I doubt he sells directly to the public any more because of all the problems he had 1st time round, so go with an online seller with stocks and you wont have a problem.

and yes he is worth supporting.

(and remember at the time this bad feeling stems from he was just a kid)

No it didn't. And, to the best of my knowledge, he wasn't a kid or a teenager. Twenty-something, maybe, but still old enough to know better.

The short version, for those who weren't around:

Ten years ago's, someone announced they were doing a 1/32 B-58 kit. Took a bunch of deposits, then disappeared.

Four years later, someone else announced that they had bought the company from the original owner, and 'discovered' the masters for the B-58 kit, and that while there was much work to be done, it would see the light of day.

It was pointed out that a guy casting stuff in his basement wasn't really the kind of company anyone 'buys', especially when they had zero inventory or marketable assets, and that the new owner's name was exactly the same as the original owner so, uhhh... WTH? How do you "discover" the kit you yourself were building (after selling yourself to... yourself?)

Eventually (after some twists, turns and obfuscation) it turned out that, yeah, he was the same guy, but really wanted to turn over a new leaf, etc. etc.

The fact that he had stolen a bunch of money from a bunch of modellers, then lied about who he was with an ever-changing series of stories - blatantly and badly - left a very sour taste in many modellers mouths. The fact that many of his castings were simply pirated copies of other products, and most were to a pretty terrible standard didn't help.

He *does* do some unique subjects that modellers have wanted for years. But, they are very much garage-quality castings (at best), so don't set your expectations too high. He also has a rather spotty record when it comes to actually delivering the goods once paid for, so keep on top of things and don't let your dispute period run out.

And if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, I think these two threads (and associated links nested within) should cover it:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=155298

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=155405&hl=Super+Bug+Models

And thats why feelings run so bad here about the guy.

The early sets were really rather terrible in quality, however the quality in later years was quite good.

If you want I can post some photos of the B-52H correction set, Ive got a few myself waiting to be built.

I doubt he sells directly to the public any more because of all the problems he had 1st time round, so go with an online seller with stocks and you wont have a problem.

and yes he is worth supporting.

Apparently he does still sell directly and his business practices have not changed.

See the bad trader alert at the bottom of the forum http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=156078&view=findpost&p=2631349

The early sets were really rather terrible in quality, however the quality in later years was quite good.

Different people have different standard as to what is good.

I have a B-52G set and the engine faces have globs of resin between the blades from where the molds were worn out. The engine pods are lumpy, rough and have no surface detail. Most of the parts have huge, rough pour stubs that will be difficult to remove.

Is that aimed at me as if to say I dont know what Im talking about or my appreciation of quality is lower than yours because you dont think the set you have is all that good?

The set has some very slight surface imperfections, there is little to nothing that a coat of primer will not sort out, and the only part that has it is the nose

The engines are good quality too.

The wing spar is perfectly cast.

I cant say im bothered about any of it as Im a modeler not a kit builder, and the low price of it is worth the risk.

I bought the set for the B-52G, it isn't Eduard not was I expecting it to be, but I am satisfied with the product I got as it they were an improvement over the kit parts. Someday I gotta finish that kit though :)

I picked up the H plus a couple of others through SB.

Quality is generally ok with the odd bit of rough textured surface.

The more challenging part is the removal of parts from casting blocks.

Particularly the H intakes which require very careful removal.

If you can handle the careful cutting of parts i would grab it.

If not give it a miss.

Is that aimed at me as if to say I dont know what Im talking about or my appreciation of quality is lower than yours because you dont think the set you have is all that good?

I'd just say that the only lower quality resin products I've seen is from Attic.

Edited by Maker

Here's an example of what this guy has sold in the past (ignore the typo that says "Ben Brown 1/144 B-52D Conversion." It should have read "Golden Dragon."): http://modelingmadness.com/others/conversions/browngd52conv.htm

I've seen some of his other products over the years, and they've been comparable to this example. Given this guy's history, I'd say he's used up far more than his fair share of second, third, etc. chances to earn customers' trust.

Ben

Here's an example of what this guy has sold in the past (ignore the typo that says "Ben Brown 1/144 B-52D Conversion." It should have read "Golden Dragon."): http://modelingmadness.com/others/conversions/browngd52conv.htm

I've seen some of his other products over the years, and they've been comparable to this example. Given this guy's history, I'd say he's used up far more than his fair share of second, third, etc. chances to earn customers' trust.

Ben

Oh my... :jaw-dropping: ...that is absolutely nasty! That ranks up with some of the worst (if not thee worst) aftermarket material that I have ever seen.

As a tall tail 52 fan myself I am so glad I model in 1/72 and have the Monogram/Revell kit at my disposal.

Anybody had any experience with the BUFF Master Design Update set for the AMT B-52H? (Corrected engines...lumps & bumps...etc.) If so...can you share your thoughts? And...where do I get this update set?

Thanks!

See my last post, that is part of the update set for the B-52H.

Ive shot an email off today, going to order some bits n bobs, if it turns out a failure or otherwise Ill let you know.

The parts are worth the risk for me, so time will tell Jennings.... time will tell

Edited by ElectroSoldier

lol

I think we've been through this before quite a number of years ago now... :)

I dont like the Monogram kit, its wrong, physically wrong. its to big by at least the thickness of its own plastic.

I like it, Ive got a couple and will enjoy the build but I would rather an AMT kit for the G & H than the conversion of D to G or H.

Are you familiar with SharKit, I think its a French based company?

This topic has come up here and elsewhere so many times that I have lost track. Heck I swear Electro and I debated this exact same topic 8ish years ago or so on these very forums to no end. I suspect nothing will change here all these years later.

The Monogram kit for a tall tail is a great kit...it's thee kit! There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. To say or even intimate that the Monogram kit is somehow worse then the AMT neuter tailed 52 kits is absolutely ridiculous in all respects. It has it's issues...but compared to the mini tailed BUFF kits from AMT/Italeri....the Monogram kit is a dream! If you want to build just one 1/72 B-52 model regardless of version, then I highly doubt anyone who has actually built the Monogram/Revell and AMT/Italeri kits would ever...ever...recommend the AMT/Italeri over the Monogram.

Now, if its a lopped off 52 tail that you want...that's where the debate is. Electro, as is evident in this thread, obviously has his opinion on how it should be done. Others have a differing opinion. Each to their own. Personally, having done one each of the Golf and Hotel Straoforts from AMT...in my opinion you REALLY...REALLY...want to have one and REALLY...REALLY...need to be prepared to put in the work, effort, blood, sweat, and tears to get a good rendition. Straight OOB you won't get near an accurate model. There is no one way and no one easy way to remedy the kit to yield an accurate rendition. Period! Anyone suggesting otherwise obviously hasn't built one. Having seen the Monogram kit converted from a manly tail to a bobbed tail...I have to say that if I were to do a short tail again, I may seriously look at converting Monograms Delta over fixing the "Pig" as Jennings has so elegantly put it. But that's me.......... ;)

Considering I prefer the Tall Tails...it's a moot point for me.