Eduard 1/48 Nieuport type 11

hi folk

here i am (again) with an other build thread, for what will be my third entry for that group build.

DSCN6794_zps0b7e49a3.jpg

still with the Eduard Nieuport, but this time with the earlier Type 11 Bébé. Profipack with PE and mask.

but i don't have yet the required decals to make it in the Russian service... but i plan to get the Begemot decals (as soon as Hobby DN UA ship it to me... but my order is presently on hold as they wait to get some more stuff i ordered them...)_

so i'm still in the very early stage for that one (like the others) nonetheless it is started now... hope i'll be able to do some more work on tomorrow...

DSCN6796_zps40e3caf1.jpg

Edited by mingwin

Three of them! Should be quite a handful.

Built this kit a few years ago for a different group build here. Got all the way to mounting the gun on the wing and lost the V shaped photo etch support for the front. That was the last step too-I'll have to dig that out one day and see what I can do about finishing it.

Ken

little update...

i'm beginning the painting process

DSCN6802_zps25ca3764.jpg

i've try to replicate linen color with tamiya enamel X-55 (deck tan(but as it was too dark, i lighten it up with a mix of white/clear/desert yellow)) with access panel aluminium and some touch of MM wood color and light skin tone (lighter wood base)

tomorrow i'll git it some touch of Future, prior to some "wood grain" effect job...

Edited by mingwin

i am now working on my wood grain effect for a week now (very part-time jobs, so it doesn't progress much...)

getting a convincing wood effect is waayyy tougher on small plastic/PE parts then on my flat test surface...

here's a not much convincing seat... still try some more work on, this week end... but i'll stof that woodgrain experiment after, as it takes a full week to dry (oil paints)...and i don't want to stay on this part forever...

i have a deadline for this group build, i'll try to stick with it (as much as possible)

DSCN6843_zps4aeee9f2.jpg

on the some other parts, it looks slightly more convincing

DSCN6848_zps4186b42e.jpg

and the effect on the propeller is rather good! ...i'll just add a clear cote...maybe a hint of a darker tint.... to get a deeper effect

DSCN6871_zps4e18f4f6.jpg

as the real thing is 7th time smaller than this photo, i can say it looks very good "in person" so far...

very small sunday evening update...

before a busy week at work... so i won't have much time for the hobby for a couple of days...

here's my latest

"le Rhone" 80hp engine:

DSCN6879_zpsb79df229.jpg

it will certainly still need some more paint/weathering job to give it the wanted look... here's a "very close-up" (without the camera flash it looks better (to me at leastwink.gif)

DSCN6899_zps99570525.jpg

it's far from perfect... but those engines are 9/16" wide... smaller thant i use to work with till now...

sunday night/monday morning update...

i've been busy at work and at home this week, couldn't do as much modeling as i would have like...

nonetheless, i've done some little things here and there

and i hope i'll be able to do some update to every of my build thread in the following days...

but for today, there'll be only my Nieuport 11 thread to be updated.

as i was uploading pics from my camera to my computer... i've seen some little things i had to fix (now they are but haven't take new pictures, sorry) as my photos shows the details of my model enlarged nearly 6 times!

now the cockpit is completed! (it is missing a U shaped struct on photos, but now it has been placed)

DSCN6950_zps5334911e.jpg

DSCN6951_zpsa6ec9b6b.jpg

DSCN6952_zpsaace5999.jpg

DSCN6954_zpsb7c7de7a.jpg

DSCN6957_zps68b6fa04.jpg

DSCN6958_zpsc5a1c3dc.jpg

paint have chipped on the back-rest of the seat, but i have fix it with a drop of clear paint (to put it back it place and "glued" the paint chip)

DSCN6959_zps7e5b0e6f.jpg

DSCN6960_zpsaf6ef908.jpg

and now the two haves of the fuselage are glued together! it went not without pain... and the curved bar have suffered in the operation... it will have to be glued back in place in the following days.

hope you have like the photos

as always, comments and encouragement are more than welcome!

thank you

Simon

another small update on my nieuport 11 build

today, i puttied and sanded the fuselage.

when looking in the pit hole, i found that my seat was way too back... so i move it a little forward, and it looks way better now!

DSCN6970_zps193815a9.jpg

DSCN6971_zpsf717be37.jpg

DSCN6975_zpscaeefd6f.jpg

also a little update for this build:

the front part of the fuselage have been painted with MM enamels "light skin tone" in the intent to eventually depict a wooden front part...

enamels have been painted a few days ago... and today i have give 3 light coats of Future acrylic finish... now i'll have to let it cure...DSCN7063_zps4b8ea2cf.jpg

DSCN7064_zpsf9f005c2.jpg

DSCN7065_zps873b4740.jpg

the rest of the fuselage will get linen fabric colors... but i'm not exactly sure on how i'll do it...

as always, comments are welcome and highly appreciated!

thanks for looking!

small update on my nieuport 11

i haven't done much on that one this week...

have let dries the enamel... let dries the Future coat after... then, yesterday, i've done some oil, trying replicate woodgrain texture... without much success.. so i've re-do this last night...

it ain't "super" but i'll try to be satisfy...hoping to improve the overall effect when adding clear(tint) coats... when oils dries... in a week, or so...

DSCN7154_zps5e8bab19.jpg

DSCN7155_zpsbb642f21.jpg

as i found the wooden area of the fuselage front too dark, reddish, i've try to tone down a little... without reaching the desired effect yet... but i'll have to let it dry completely before trying anything else...

DSCN7207_zpscdebb590.jpg

DSCN7209_zps533d92bd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i was not satisfy by how the front wooden part turn out after my attempt to tone it down... it was too "white" (pigments wouldn't mix properly in airbrush/pigments too big...i don't know for sure)

so i sand it a little...and sand too much the upper rounded part... so i have to do it all over again, from the base coat, oils and etc. so that build is in a way less advanced stage than my Ni-17 builds...

and now i discovered a big seam that Tamiya thin glue didn't fix , so i put some putty and wait till tomorrow before sand down smooth... i can't wait to begin painting the main color on that one!

DSCN7444_zps780276ff.jpg

DSCN7445_zps4f9814c3.jpg

but i try to make some progress... like the rigging of the main landing gear... that have been done on all my other builds for this group build today.

DSCN7438_zps901ff367.jpg

DSCN7439_zps01bf3f75.jpg

i use USCHI's "rig that thing" wire. (www.uschivdr.com) 0.003 for control wires, and 0,005 for rigging.

i have to say that it's very expensive stuff... but i'm please at how it's easy to work with. i think its a kind of nylon wire (but don't know for sure) it's very stretchable, and rather resistant. the 0,005 is slightly thinner that a hair, the 0,003 is nearly twice thinner...

it behave nicely, and i'm still amaze that i've been able to pass it through some of my control horns without much trouble.

i convince myself that it was worth it, by starting 4 simultaneous projects!... it would have been a too big investment for only one model...

little week end update...

some work have been done on my Nieuport type 11smile.gif...at last i have been able to do semething else than woodgrain effect painting...

first some masking...

DSCN7526_zpse730f5c1.jpg

then.. some preshading...

DSCN7528_zps8652c8f5.jpg

then... almost everything disappear when i painted over my "clear dope linen" color...

DSCN7552_zps4e1746fe.jpg

it looks rather good in "person"... for the moment the finish is very glossy, prior to decalling job... that will be on hold as long as my decals are not yet arrived from Ukraine...dry.gif but they are on their way to Canada at least... with a little luck, i should be able to resume that project in 2 weeks...

DSCN7553_zpsde9c43f1.jpg

here's how it looks by now (without masking tape)

DSCN7555_zps2d8b8be2.jpg

DSCN7557_zps08b0d52f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

small update in a long time for my Nieuport 11... have been busy at work, at home... and have had some mild health issue...

nonetheless, i've done some work on the model...

first, i receive the Begemot decals for the kit... then i realize the the wooden section i've done on the model was going to far aft (by the decal instructions...)

at the same time, i wasn't totally satisfied by my woodgrain, so i decided to, re-do all-over again that whole area...and correct it... and while removing5-6 layer of paint with easy-off and a toothbrush...i broke the tail and stabs...

DSCN7692_zps081d54ba.jpg

for my woodgrain effect, i'll use, this time, as a basis, Uschi's coarse woodgrain decal (i'll soon add some oil, to enhance the effect, and after, i'll glosscoat/tint...)

i glued back the tails and stabs...

then i decal the whole model... decals are nice and very thin... a good thing, since all the roundels are of the 3 layer type... which isn't a pleasant choice... it makes all the decaling job tedious and endless... and if, by this process, the producer avoid the "off-register" problem.. it only push it back the problem to the modeller...

i wouldn't have much complaint about that...if it was not that 4 white roundels where missing on the decal sheet! (lower wings ones, and fuselage sides ones)... i'm usually a big fan and supporter of Begemot products... (i've bought about 30 of their sets)... but i couldn't recommend that particular set (unless they provided the missing roundels...) ...so i have to cut myself some roundels from a white decal sheet

DSCN7695_zpscebd61ba.jpg

DSCN7696_zps35828350.jpg

Edited by mingwin

thank you Spectre711, as i've got to do some repairs on the fuselage (while reducing the sides wooden area) i have to do a lots of touch-ups... the ribbing effect is now quite subtle...

now, i have added a little oil paint effect over Uschi's decals... the effect is very nice... but now i'll have to wait a full week before clear coating..

DSCN7701_zps10d0ccd7.jpg

DSCN7700_zps30d47fe1.jpg

DSCN7699_zps1aeaf2b7.jpg

yeah, i'm very pleased with the result of "oil-over-decals"

and there is 2 A3 sheets in the pack. and, for this model, i have use less than 5 sq. inches ( only 4 would have been required if i haven't mess with one of the side...)

at my LHS, there was only the "coarse" type of veneer decal sheet, giving, a slightly too dark end result (that i can live with) ...but if you can get the lighter one, i would recommend... i would also recommend you to take a look at Uschi's website, where there is a very nice veneer covered albatros as tutorial...