The Cigar thread. Who smokes and what do you enjoy?

So this being Ernest Hemmingway’s birthday what do y’all smoke and enjoy? I’ve been letting a few Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Stories relax in the humidor for this day for me and my co-workers, but isn’t my usual go-to smoke.

My current crop of leaf products I’ve been enjoying:

Drew Estates Java Mint

San Lotano Oval, Bull, Habano

Partagas 1845

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Man O War Ruination

Ave Maria Reconquista

My Father Toro Gordo

5 Vegas Triple A

Trinidad Reyes

Due to smoking, I've lost a leg, had bypass surgery on the other, have COPD and Congestive heart failure. Have had 2 heart attacks, and double heart bypass surgery. I'm luck to be turning 78 later this week. Throw the damned things away! Hal

Its been a while for me, but being Dominican i and a bit biased=)

I enjoyed my Arturo Fuentes Hemingway, Rocky Patel Decades Robusto and Macanudos maduros.

No I usually will have one once a year on a special occasions.

This year I will be heading of to the nationals with my dad, I think that will be the one for this year =)

Favorites are

Rome Y Julietta Reservation Reals

Excaliburs

Pyramid no 9

All time favorites would have to be Ashton VSGs. Have to go lay down after one of those.

I always have a cigar golfing and like to sit outside with a beer and a book during the summer. I haven't made my large summer purchase yet through JR. I need to get on that.

Due to smoking, I've lost a leg, had bypass surgery on the other, have COPD and Congestive heart failure. Have had 2 heart attacks, and double heart bypass surgery. I'm luck to be turning 78 later this week. Throw the damned things away! Hal

Cigarettes or the once a week cigar? I will say that during deployments I smoke 'em daily, but at the house I'm a once-a-week at most.

So this being Ernest Hemmingway’s birthday what do y’all smoke and enjoy? I’ve been letting a few Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Stories relax in the humidor for this day for me and my co-workers, but isn’t my usual go-to smoke.

My current crop of leaf products I’ve been enjoying:

Drew Estates Java Mint

San Lotano Oval, Bull, Habano

Partagas 1845

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Man O War Ruination

Ave Maria Reconquista

My Father Toro Gordo

5 Vegas Triple A

Trinidad Reyes

Aren't you based in Colorado? From what I've heard there are other "leaf products" that seem to be more popular in CO these days. I don't partake in that stuff but I do wonder how long it will be before we see similar threads about the best commercial weed brands?

Not a big cigar fan but I did enjoy the R y J's you listed above.

Aren't you based in Colorado? From what I've heard there are other "leaf products" that seem to be more popular in CO these days. I don't partake in that stuff but I do wonder how long it will be before we see similar threads about the best commercial weed brands?

Not a big cigar fan but I did enjoy the R y J's you listed above.

Yeah, I'm out of Carson, but none of the Mary Jane for Soldiers.

Well in honour of PAPA here are my favorites

Joya De Nicaragua Big Bull smooth all the way through for such a big cigar

My Father Flor De Las Antillas Toro Gordo box press my absolute favorite

Don Tomas Corona Grande for just a good cheap smoke

Rocky Patel esp 1990 but they're all good

Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchill

Kentucky Cheroots just like Clint Eastwood in Good Bad & Ugly

Ken

I drink to to make other people more interesting. E. Hemmingway

Edited by KenM

can't afford 80th Anniversary Padrons much, but that's my favorite. Tried a Don Peppin last week, and really liked it. Will buy more. Smoke a lot of the 1845 Partagas robustos, but don't care much for the largers ones. I lost my source for Cuban Patagas D4's several years back, and I'd put that one up with anything out there. Working in a cigar store gives me a selection beyond belief, and I could name about twenty seriously good ones off the top of my head

gary

I personally am a mild to medium kind of guy. I have several of the following:

Augusto Reyes Emperador (which is apparently discontinued now)

Montecristo, both white and brown label

5 Vegas 6x60 "The Judge"

Gurkha Titan, Black Dragon, Beauty, Ancient Warrior

Bacarat

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur

and the finest

H Upmann Magnum 50

Partegas Serie D, Limitied Edition 2006 (very hard to come by)

I get alot of my stuff from either cigarbid (preferred) or CigarsInternational, which, they are the same company anyways, but cigarbid almost always has the better prices. Then again, some of the real cigars I have to get offshore... :D

Are you into the Maduro wrapped sticks? I have a friend that enjoys the Bahia brand. He gave me one, but I have yet to try it. I tried the Victor Sinclair Dopple Gordo, its a 7x70 box press monster. A little much for my taste, and be prepared to spend upwards of 2 hours on it...

And you posted a thread about smoking on a modeling board, why? Commenting on not smoking in a smoking thread seems waaaaay more relevant than commenting on smoking on a modeling board. But, whatevas, go ahead and stink. Just not upwind of me.

And you felt a need to post this....why?

I'll tell you why. My mother died due to smoking (congestive heart failure, COPD, heart attack, at age 71). My aunt lost her larynx, breathing through a hole in her throat for her final years.

Smoking kills. I do not often go on rants, but I cannot idly sit by and watch people destroying their health. This whole culture of glorifying smoking is based on denial of the hugely damaging effects smoking has.

As far as once a week cigar vs 2 packs a day cigarettes, of course there is a bit of a difference, but not much. It's a VERY bad habit. I make no apologies for being hugely anti-smoking, and I will NOT keep my opinion to myself. Many things in life are debatable; the damage that smoking does is NOT up for debate. It's real, and it's factual.

I enjoy clean, fresh air in the forest. The scent of pine trees and pure air does it for me.

That, and liquid oxygen in a fighter jet.

ALF

+1 Alf.

The newer generation has the picture. Still, some choose the risk, and others reduce the risks of tobacco addiction by smoking occasionally for celebration, etc.

Edited by Exhausted

And you felt a need to post this....why?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy by any stretch of the imagination. You plainly asked in your thread title, 'Who smokes and what do you enjoy?" You asked a direct question and I provided an answer to your question. Nothing else. I used to smoke Jamaican Rounds. Whenever a friend ordered a box, I'd have him order me a box as well. I'd enjoy one or two a week after dinner. I just felt the urge to quit and I did.

Edited by AX 365

but I cannot idly sit by and watch people destroying their health. This whole culture of glorifying smoking is based on denial of the hugely damaging effects smoking has.

You watch people destroy their heatlh everyday in a number of ways. You eat fast food? Drink diet soda? Inhale paint fumes when you build models? Of course it isn't good for you. Niether is that double cheeseburger you eat, but we all draw the line somewhere. As much as you don't like a culture that glorifies smoking I also don't care for a culture that demonizes it.

I enjoy clean, fresh air in the forest. The scent of pine trees and pure air does it for me.

That, and liquid oxygen in a fighter jet.

ALF

Some of us don't have that luxury.

And you posted a thread about smoking on a modeling board, why?

Have you read any of the posts on the GENERAL Discussion forum? How many of them directly pertain to modeling? I find this post entirely appropriate for this forum and although the last time I smoked a cigar was a couple of years ago, I also find the subject interesting.

I was planning on starting a thread in the future about what are the best beers. Please feel free to jump onto that one and provide comments about how drinking alcohol is unhealthy.

Well in honour of PAPA here are my favorites

Joya De Nicaragua Big Bull smooth all the way through for such a big cigar

My Father Flor De Las Antillas Toro Gordo box press my absolute favorite

Don Tomas Corona Grande for just a good cheap smoke

Rocky Patel esp 1990 but they're all good

Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchill

Kentucky Cheroots just like Clint Eastwood in Good Bad & Ugly

Ken

I drink to to make other people more interesting. E. Hemmingway

Rocky Patel 1990's and even the 1992's are great cigars. I think the 1990's are a step up from the Decades, and I've gone thru a lot of each. Believe it or not, I actually like the Nimmish Robustos a lot, and they are a fraction of the cost of a 1990! I have a few Olivias that were discontinued several years ago (maybe series S). I would rate these right there with the 1990!

A bottle of B&B or Grand Mariner and some Miles Davis on the deck with a good cigar, and you suddenly discover life doesn't get much better!

gary