The Cigar thread. Who smokes and what do you enjoy?

I'll tell you why. My mother died due to smoking (congestive heart failure, COPD, heart attack, at age 71). My aunt lost her larynx, breathing through a hole in her throat for her final years.

Smoking kills. I do not often go on rants, but I cannot idly sit by and watch people destroying their health. This whole culture of glorifying smoking is based on denial of the hugely damaging effects smoking has.

As far as once a week cigar vs 2 packs a day cigarettes, of course there is a bit of a difference, but not much. It's a VERY bad habit. I make no apologies for being hugely anti-smoking, and I will NOT keep my opinion to myself. Many things in life are debatable; the damage that smoking does is NOT up for debate. It's real, and it's factual.

ALF

You know guys, ALF is right. Ignoring all the science and case histories, consider this. When you smoke, the particulate matter that gets into your lungs stays there- until you die. Your blood stream doesn't take any of it away, so there is no way for the harmful components of tobacco smoke to exit your body. It builds up, so even a cigar a week is cumulative and harmful. Once I figured that out, I quit smoking the odd cigar now and then when I thought it was no big deal. It is a big deal and, as someone else suggested above, you should throw all your cigars in the garbage. :soapbox:

I was planning on starting a thread in the future about what are the best beers. Please feel free to jump onto that one and provide comments about how drinking alcohol is unhealthy.

In moderation, drinking beer is not unhealthy, so the topic is quite different than smoking tobacco products.

Peace out.

Edited by chuck540z3

I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of this:

"You watch people destroy their heatlh everyday in a number of ways. You eat fast food? Drink diet soda? Inhale paint fumes when you build models? Of course it isn't good for you. Niether is that double cheeseburger you eat, but we all draw the line somewhere. As much as you don't like a culture that glorifies smoking I also don't care for a culture that demonizes it. "

Fast food, in moderation, does NOT destroy your health. I have lost 40 lbs in 10 months by simply cutting back on total calories, and eating wisely. I incorporate the occasional Big Mac into my diet, but intelligently: my wife and I order one Big Mac meal with large fries, each of us eat half the burger, we share the fries, and I have a glass of water. Diet pop is not evil - read about it on Snopes. My point is that in moderation, fast food can be quite healthy, because it is not made of inherently dangerous compounds like cigars or cigarettes.

Smoking CANNOT be done in moderation without negative health effects. My issues are twofold with the glorification of smoking:

1. This is a forum that is read by people, including children, that could be influenced by opinions that promote smoking. That is not OK. The internet is full of fora for all kinds of interests; I am sure that any cigar aficionado forum would have a question "are you over 18" before allowing access. It is necessary to balance any kind of opinion about smoking with factual information (such as Chuck gave above).

2. You cannot compare fast food or diet pop with smoking. Not at all the same risks. That is where the denial is clearly evident.

I am tired of fighting this one out. I just want to make sure that some young, innocent person that might think "oh cool" when seeing this thread has an opportunity to see the reality of how dangerous smoking is.

ALF out.

So this being Ernest Hemmingway’s birthday what do y’all smoke and enjoy? I’ve been letting a few Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Stories relax in the humidor for this day for me and my co-workers, but isn’t my usual go-to smoke.

My current crop of leaf products I’ve been enjoying:

Drew Estates Java Mint

San Lotano Oval, Bull, Habano

Partagas 1845

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Diesel Unholy Cocktail

Man O War Ruination

Ave Maria Reconquista

My Father Toro Gordo

5 Vegas Triple A

Trinidad Reyes

You asked who SMOKES and what do you enjoy..

I DONT SMOKE. . NEVER HAVE.

<_<

And never had any kind of Alcohol in MY life...(in case I miss the alcohol thread!) and NEVER had any form of liquor pass MY lips!!

:whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

I just want to make sure that some young, innocent person that might think "oh cool" when seeing this thread has an opportunity to see the reality of how dangerous smoking is.

ALF out.

Given the demographics of this hobby, I highly doubt that any young person will be found on ARC. Unless your definition of young is 40 years old.

I find it sad that one cannot have a discussion about a LEGAL indulgence without attracting the PC police. Everyone "gets" that smoking is bad for you. It's also an individual decision. Really don't need anyone to reinforce that message. If you are anti-smoking, start a thread on evils of the habit. Otherwise, either add to this thread in a positive manner or ignore it. Either way, save the Public Service Announcements.

Just my $0.02 (and I really don't have a horse in this race, last stogie I had was a couple of years ago).

Love good premium hand-made cigars!

Right now I'm working on a box of Gurkha Widow-Maker Churchills.

My favorites include (all Churchill sie):

Montecristo White

AVO Classic

TTT Trinidad

Gurkha Vulcan

Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut

Cusano Sun-grown Habana

Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur

cheers

Old Blind Dog

And to the PC nannies, FYI, at my last physical, the doc pronounced me in perfect health with "numbers that some people would kill for". At 56 I have never had a serious systemic health problem. I do not smoke cigarettes, only cigars and pipe in moderation for pleasure.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Given the demographics of this hobby, I highly doubt that any young person will be found on ARC. Unless your definition of young is 40 years old.

I find it sad that one cannot have a discussion about a LEGAL indulgence without attracting the PC police. Everyone "gets" that smoking is bad for you. It's also an individual decision. Really don't need anyone to reinforce that message. If you are anti-smoking, start a thread on evils of the habit. Otherwise, either add to this thread in a positive manner or ignore it. Either way, save the Public Service Announcements.

Just my $0.02 (and I really don't have a horse in this race, last stogie I had was a couple of years ago).

I don't think of ALF18 as the PC police, just a member of a far-reaching post-board. It might be noting that outside the USA, many countries visibly condemned tobacco products and put more trust into science that's revealing more about it. Many Commonwealth nations are among them. He said his piece, and it didn't stop anyone from posting about their tobacco activities. I know of two members of the board who aren't even 20, and I am in my late twenties. This hobby isn't limited to the settled and earning, and I think ALF18 was onto a good point.

Edited by Exhausted

Didn't mean to start a flame war, but I pay through the nose every day for the years I smoked. I do not consider myself any kind of "police", just putting out what happened to me from my indulgence. You want to go ahead

and commit slow suicide, be my guest.

I was planning on starting a thread in the future about what are the best beers...

Completely subjective to the individuals taste. That and many people can't see past a national bias....i.e. "Country X makes the best beer(s) and everything from country Y and Z is terrible". That's too easy and completely inaccurate. Personally, I don't enjoy any major mass marketed brands save two, Guinness from Ireland (PROPERLY poured and served...that's KEY) and Alexander Keith's from Nova Scotia Canada. I prefer microbreweries, limited edition short run batches and artisan brews (combine a restaurant with said brew pub to pair food with their crafted beer and I am set :thumbsup:). The glass is key too...a bad glass can make a great beer mediocre or ruin it all together (also not a fan of frosted mugs...).

Oh wait....wrong thread... :wasntme:

Carry on Gentlemen...when you are done in the smoking room I will be over at the bar... :cheers:

:lol:

Don

For all you health nuts that are making sure to chide the occasional cigar smokers with a quick post before hitting the gym again, lets see what you got:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=271369&st=0&p=2572269&hl=weight%20loss&fromsearch=1entry2572269

I'm 31. I enjoy the occasional cigar. I think I have had about 4 in the last 10 years. had my first and only Cuban on honeymoon in the Caribbean last october.

I smoked a cigar after completing my first marathon. I know, I'm unhealthy.

Can't have nice threads

Have you read any of the posts on the GENERAL Discussion forum? How many of them directly pertain to modeling? I find this post entirely appropriate for this forum and although the last time I smoked a cigar was a couple of years ago, I also find the subject interesting.

I was planning on starting a thread in the future about what are the best beers. Please feel free to jump onto that one and provide comments about how drinking alcohol is unhealthy.

Ah, you found my point exactly! Good job. It was, in case someone else missed it, that the AX's comment was every bit as appropriate in this thread as Fulcrum's thread is appropriate in the GENERAL DISCUSSION topic.

And dude, I live in Vermont, the state with the highest per capita number of breweries in the country...AND the highest rated beer on Beer Advocate (The Alchemist's Heady Topper) AND the state with the highest rated micro brewery on the same website (Hill Farmstead Brewery) So, I don't have very far to go to find the best beers.

As in other posts in this thread, it's not a good comparison, smoking to beer. You cannot use tobacco products in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations without incurring negative health affects. Anecdotes aside (I smoked for a hunderd an twelve years an it didn't hurt me none), if you use tobacco, you are harming your health. Not to mention the health of innocent bystanders. A beer or two, arguably, is even good for you.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Just had supper, no one is home, think I'll explore your suggestions. I'll take a list to the tobacconist and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Puff puff

Paul

Winston Churchill--in whose honor one of the most popular cigar sizes is named--was never without a cigar, and lived to be, IIRC 90 or so. During the Blitz, a German bomb hit the famous Alfred Dunhill tobacconists, at which Mr. Dunhill himself called the PM to reassure him that "your cigars are safe."

My granddad smoked everything you could light a match to and lived to a very healthy 86.

Cigars and pipe tobacco are not like cigarettes. Aside from the fact that you don't inhale cigar or pipe smoke into your lungs, they do not contain all the additives or "addictive" chemicals that manufacturers routinely put into cigarettes. Untreated "natural" tobaccos have a superb tranquilizing effect, far better and more natural than Valium or other pharma-produced products.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

And dude, I live in Vermont, the state with the highest per capita number of breweries in the country...AND the highest rated beer on Beer Advocate (The Alchemist's Heady Topper) AND the state with the highest rated micro brewery on the same website (Hill Farmstead Brewery) So, I don't have very far to go to find the best beers.

Ah, the People's Republic of the North. This explains the condescending attitude towards something as un-PC as smoking a cigar.

That being said, I bow to your state's ranking as the beer meca of the free world. If I had to live up there, I'd need a brewery on every corner as well. You know.. just to dull the pain.

When you mentioned VT, I was afraid you were going to start talking up Long Trail and the swill they put out as "craft beer". So you get extra points for Heady Topper, that is a fine beer. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but that one was great. Probably VT's finest export (along with unregistered handguns, Cherry Garcia ice cream and Phish).

Edited by 11bee

Cigars and pipe tobacco are not like cigarettes. Aside from the fact that you don't inhale cigar or pipe smoke into your lungs, they do not contain all the additives or "addictive" chemicals that manufacturers routinely put into cigarettes. Untreated "natural" tobaccos have a superb tranquilizing effect, far better and more natural than Valium or other pharma-produced products.

Old Blind Dog

Wrong. Read this for facts, not wishful thinking or hearsay.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cigars

Quote from that site:

Cigar smoke, like cigarette smoke, contains toxic and cancer-causing chemicals that are harmful to both smokers and nonsmokers.

There is no safe tobacco product, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke.

The more you smoke, the greater your risk of disease.

Cigar smoking causes oral cavity cancers (cancers of the lip, tongue, mouth, and throat) and cancers of the larynx (voice box), esophagus, and lung.

All cigar and cigarette smokers, whether or not they inhale, directly expose their lips, mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx to tobacco smoke and its toxic and cancer-causing chemicals.

Hardly sounds beneficial...

Pardon me if I confuse the opinions by citing actual facts.

ALF

Ah, the People's Republic of the North. This explains the condescending attitude towards something as un-PC as smoking a cigar.

That being said, I bow to your state's ranking as the beer meca of the free world. If I had to live up there, I'd need a brewery on every corner as well. You know.. just to dull the pain.

When you mentioned VT, I was afraid you were going to start talking up Long Trail and the swill they put out as "craft beer". So you get extra points for Heady Topper, that is a fine beer. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but that one was great. Probably VT's finest export (along with unregistered handguns, Cherry Garcia ice cream and Phish).

I didn't vote for Shumlin. But, you don't have a lot to boast about down there in Taxachusetts. By the way, I don't live in Burlington, I'm out in the boonies about seven miles from Smuggs.

Long Trail ain't nothing like swill, no more than Sam Adams. It's not my favorite, but it isn't bad. Try a Double Bag. When I'm out I usually order Switchback. Try it if you can find it. It's bottled now too. All their styles are pretty tasty. Their Brown is probably the best of them. Most of Rock Art's are good, too. So is Fiddlehead. Most of Magic Hat's are for college kids, too gimicky for me. Shed's not so good any more now that Otter Creek brews it. They've got something weird going on with their hops that seems to have infected the Mountain Ale, I don't care for it any more. Cheers!

I have to agree with ALF18

there is NO WAY to say that tobacco products have some curative/beneficial virtues ((it's ridiculous and uneducated guess at best) ...other than satisfy your addiction) whether smoked, snuff, chew...or whatever the way you take it!

smoke if you like it, ...but please, far away from non-smokers (or kids (or pets if you like them)) that way your decision to take that risk with your health won't have to be share with others.

contrary to some beliefs, cigar smoke is worst than cigarette smoke! cigar's tobacco is fermented, leading to very complex chemistry reactions when burned... (ever notice how cigar smoke behave? in comparison to cigarette smoke...)

i have smoke (cigarette and cigars) for almost 20 years and quitting that bad habit is one of the best thing i've done (for myself, at least!)

Wrong. Read this for facts, not wishful thinking or hearsay.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cigars

"Risks among occasional cigar smokers are difficult to measure because

of the wide variability in frequency of smoking among occasional cigar

smokers and the marked variation in the amounts of tobacco contained

in different cigars"

Broscience. Of course they're not good for you, but there is a difference between them, pipes, and cigarettes that doesn't take a medical degree to figure out.

Quote from that site:

Cigar smoke, like cigarette smoke, contains toxic and cancer-causing chemicals that are harmful to both smokers and nonsmokers.

Everything causes Cancer or eventually everyone gets some type of Cancer....can't remember which statement I've heard more over the years. The sun caused my mom to get skin cancer and only God knows why my dad has Leukemia. My aunt died of breast cancer and I'm pretty sure all the stuff I've inhaled over the last 12 years will kill me too.

There is no safe tobacco product, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco smoke.

The more you smoke, the greater your risk of disease.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this.

Cigar smoking causes oral cavity cancers (cancers of the lip, tongue, mouth, and throat) and cancers of the larynx (voice box), esophagus, and lung.

All cigar and cigarette smokers, whether or not they inhale, directly expose their lips, mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx to tobacco smoke and its toxic and cancer-causing chemicals.

I know of plenty of cigarette smokers who are fighting cancer and several who passed away from it. However, I don't know a single cigar smoker who has had any of these forms of cancer. Of course I know they're out there, but trying to convince me that the occasional cigar is Satan himself wrapped in a leaf...not buying it.