The Cigar thread. Who smokes and what do you enjoy?

Now THIS is very very very BAD for EVERYONES health (and no...it's not James Dean as the links title may suggest):

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3274423.ece/alternates/s615b/Justin-Bieber-tweets-a-picture-smoking-like-James-Dean.jpg

Listening to him sing...or worse just plain speak...has been known to cause high blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, brain cell loss, lowering of the IQ, hair loss, diarrhea, temporary bouts of bewilderment, rage, full body irritation, rash, violent thoughts, loss of appetite, hoof and mouth disease, and a list of lesser maladies.

:rolleyes:

Filthy habit. This is no example to set for younger ARC members.

G

Not real familiar with Hemmingway's work, but I'll bet Hunter S Thompson is too.

Ken

And you posted a thread about smoking on a modeling board, why? Commenting on not smoking in a smoking thread seems waaaaay more relevant than commenting on smoking on a modeling board. But, whatevas, go ahead and stink. Just not upwind of me.

I agree with you on this. I hate cigarettes, cigars and anything that has to with the act of smoking whatever it is.

Chuck

Fly Navy

You asked who SMOKES and what do you enjoy..

I DONT SMOKE. . NEVER HAVE.

<_</>

I can say the same my friend on the smoking. Wish I can say the same about the liquor though I have never been intoxicated, don't like beer, but on holidays or a nice evening out on a romantic date a glass of wine for dinner I would take a nip and most of the time I don't even finish it. The holiday season would be a small shot of Cognac or Baileys, but thats it. Otherwise I can do without it.

And never had any kind of Alcohol in MY life...(in case I miss the alcohol thread!) and NEVER had any form of liquor pass MY lips!!

:whistle:/>

Well, the thread had a good start anyways.... So lets try to get it back...

I myself enjoy a cigar, however, never more than 1 a day. I have some coworkers who will do 4 or 5 on a golf outing. And, once I am done, I either have to take a shower, or at the least wash my face, and change my shirt. For some reason, when I am done, I cant stand the lingering smell. I always keep a pack of Wrigleys in my travel humidor. (I have a 10 stick herfador on top of the ones at home)

Occasionally, I will either be in a mood, or the stick was just that good that I will want another, but I never do. Someone once told me they bought an unknown factory 2nd from a cigar shop that tasted like chocolate milk. That is my holy grail.... Till then, herf up!

And you posted a thread about smoking on a modeling board, why? Commenting on not smoking in a smoking thread seems waaaaay more relevant than commenting on smoking on a modeling board. But, whatevas, go ahead and stink. Just not upwind of me.

Best post of the thread 271.gif .

To post that it's not a good idea to smoke even if you don't inhale is one thing, but to have former smokers convey it and share their experience as a result from smoking brings it to a whole new level.

I stopped smoking cigars when I found out I could still get cancer (Oral).

I used to smoke the Romeo y Julietas. back in the day when it was cool.

never really got into the smoking or drinking much after my 20th birthday.

I would much rather be downwind of pipe smoke than a cigarette anyday.

I've read through this thread, and it brought to mind an article I read years ago in I believe Discover Magazine. The article discussed how people in general are horrible at recognizing the true risks versus perceived risks. One example was the Alar scare years ago, in which the media hyped some misinterpreted information from a report about the risk of cancer from eating apples treated with Alar which I believe was a fungicide.

Alar increased the absolute risk of cancer a tiny fraction of a percent, and scientists said that the tiny increase in risk was far outweighed by the nutritional value of the apples. Nonetheless, many people quit buying apples back then. The article pointed out the absolute cancer risk of using tobacco far outweighed the risk of Alar in apples yet smokers continue to smoke, including many who quit buying apples!

Some of the postings here were of a similar nature, saying everything causes cancer or some such, so why not smoke. I looked up articles about cigar smoking cancer risks, and I am sorry to have to tell you if you smoke them your risk of cancer goes up substantially over a non-smoker.

Okay, it's still legal and still your choice. Myself on the otherhand, if I had to tell my loved ones I had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer probably due to my choice to smoke, I think I'd feel I'd been pretty selfish to do that to them. Yes there's a chance a non-smoker vegan marathon runner will get terminal cancer. But the risk of getting cancer goes up hugely if you use tobacco.

There are always exceptions, George Burns and others as was mentioned as examples. When my ex-wife's 12 and 13 year old daughters both started smoking I researched it and found the Cancer Society said smokers have a one in three chance of dying of smoking related illnesses. That leave two out of three who don't. But would you play Russian Roulette with two bullets in the chambers? Not me, those odds are too bad.

The other thing is to consider just what the smoking related illnesses do to you before you die. Definitely most are a horrible, painful and drawn-out way to go. Not something I would choose, certainly.

I just found numerous articles online saying cigar smoking is somewhere between a light cigarette smoker and non-smoker for risks, and other articles (one notably from the Mayo Clinic) saying cigar smoking risks are right up there with cigarettes. Those odds still aren't what I'd be comfortable with, whoever is right.

I worked with a fellow who quit smoking 30 years ago to reduce his cancer risk. He started chewing tobacco instead. Right now he's in the last stages of throat cancer, and has had to be fed through a tube for the past couple of years. He may have passed away by now, I moved away from there recently and haven't heard anything more about him.

Of course everyone can make their own choices but personally I think you guys are all pretty great, and I'd sure hate to read a posting in a few years that one or some of you got hit with cancer and are on your way out.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

I love a great cigar. Some of my favorites are as follows.

Camacho's (Ditka Throwback, and Triple Maduro)

Esteban Carreras (Chupa Cabra)

My Fathers Cigars (Flor de las Antillas, Le Bijou 1922, and Jamie Garcia Reserva Especial.)

Rocky Patel (Decade)

La Flor Dominicana (Double Ligero)

Romeo Y Julieta (RyJ)

Bolivar's (All)

Kristoff (Gelerones series, Intensivo is my favorite in this series.)

For me I love a great cigar with a bold flavor, the stronger the better. I also prefer my cigars to be Robusto, Corona Gorda, or Double Corona in size.

Dave Fassett

Edited by Bulldog 09

Aren't you based in Colorado? From what I've heard there are other "leaf products" that seem to be more popular in CO these days. I don't partake in that stuff but I do wonder how long it will be before we see similar threads about the best commercial weed brands?

Not a big cigar fan but I did enjoy the R y J's you listed above.

Give it a few years. Not a user but I do live in the Emerald Triangle, and I don't think there is much fear of the locals losing out to big Tobacco. When the other leaf gains full legality at the Federal level and the big boys move into that market, the small growers will just go boutique like wine, coffee and cigars / pipes.

Due to smoking, I've lost a leg, had bypass surgery on the other, have COPD and Congestive heart failure. Have had 2 heart attacks, and double heart bypass surgery. I'm luck to be turning 78 later this week. Throw the damned things away! Hal

Hal,

Well at least you've quit now. My sister has COPD due to smoking and has been on 7/24 oxygen for 3 years (I think) now and she still sneaks a smoke. She is also on medication for congestive heart failure as her feet would swell up, just like my father's did when he was alive. Smoking took his life in 1991. My mum lasted until January 2000 when she suffered a heart attack. A smoker, too, she had been diagnosed with a tumor in her lung the previous fall. I'm glad the heart attack took her out quickly instead of watching her suffer lung cancer treatment. My brother and I have never smoked and, as teenagers, use to constantly nag our parents to quit. When it was clear they weren't going to quit and couldn't, we did! I like to hear when people are able to kick the habit, even if has cost them some of their health. But I won't lecture or belittle people who smoke. As insidious as it is I have never had the addiction and, as a result, don't understand it.

Tom