Couple group build ideas.

I like group builds. Helps me figure out what in the stash can be built. If I think hard enough you can find something all the time to build if the right group build is being offered.

That being what it is I was thinking of a couple group builds have not been done in a while or could just be a good thing to do again if anyone feels like moderating them, (or one).

Cargo aircraft, get them big ones out of the stash. Hercs, 707s, and trash birds.

Search and rescue. Who does not love doing those bright and colourful SAR birds? Or those drab CSAR birds? Helos and straight wings like Canadas Hercs and Buffalos or Cormorants and Griffins.

Insert plane type here...... Any airframe with enough variations that can be a GB on its own. Phantoms, Tomcats, Skyhawks. We have a Hornet going now (very popular) and a Starfighter Mig 21 starting soon.

Think people think, what do you have in the stash that need an excuse to be built? Start a GB, get others in with ya. prizes are nice but not a requirement. Sponsors can be looked for in relation for your GB. You just have to ask and do a little advertising for them. Look at the recently finished Bad Boys GB. EVERYONE won SOMETHING!!!! A couple guys more then one something. GREAT incentive to build.

What about a "Tiger Meet- GB"? There are many gorgeous special paintings made especially for the yearly NATO Tiger meet...there are many decals for TM planes and also some kits OOB already (e.g. Hasegawa F-16s). So time for Vipers, Photo Phantoms, Alpha Jet, G-91, Tornado, Hornet, Mirage 2000, Etendard, Starfighter, Rafale, some Helos (I remember a cech Hind), and so on.

Cargo aircraft, get them big ones out of the stash. Hercs, 707s, and trash birds.

I would like to see this one, or expand it into a "large kit not 1/32" build, for the big 1/48th and 1/72nd kits, like the monogram bombers, 1/72 Heller 707 , AMT/ERTL KC-135, B-52, XB-70, Trumpeter Bear, Anigrand monsters, Big Vac from the back of the closet etc ... Everyone has at least one of those monsters in the stash they would otherwise not likely get around to building.

I would like to see this one, or expand it into a "large kit not 1/32" build, for the big 1/48th and 1/72nd kits, like the monogram bombers, 1/72 Heller 707 , AMT/ERTL KC-135, B-52, XB-70, Trumpeter Bear, Anigrand monsters, Big Vac from the back of the closet etc ... Everyone has at least one of those monsters in the stash they would otherwise not likely get around to building.

I like it - it means I might get around to building my Czech Master Resin 1/72 Short Empire Flying Boat.

Vince

I like this one, but I wouldn't limit it to the bigger scales (1/32, 1/48, 1/72) but open it up to all scales. This would allow those of us who build airliners and civilian cargo aircraft to participate. For example a 1/200 747-400 or 777, or 787 Dreamliner. For the 1/144 crowd, possibilities could include an A380, Concorde, or a Tu-144. Endless possibilities really.

Agree with allowing all scales. I've got Revell's 1/144 C-17 in the stash.

I've also got 1/48 pre-war Ju-52 and post-war C-47 as airliners--big, but not cargo.

Perhaps cargo or airliner use over 95ft/29m? :)

I'll moderate!

How about a Past & Present group build?

The basic idea will be to build at least two models representing a squadron's aircraft over the course of its lineage or history. So for example, if the squadron in question will be the Jolly Rogers (always popular), one can build Phantoms, Tomcats, Super Hornets, or even its aircraft from WWII if you can find the markings. Prowlers and Growlers, Phantoms and Eagles/F-16s, and so on.

Or, one can build different aircraft flown by the same pilot in his career, I think there would be lots of options for this.

Edited by White Wolf

I would be in for squadron lineage build. Look at VFA-14 Tophatters for example. They are the oldest active squadron in the US Navy established in 1919 and have flown 23 different aircraft. You also have VFA31,103 and 151 that have a long past as well. With 151 you could spin off and include 192 since they are part of 151's history. So this would be a great idea For a group build. I also like the Tiger Meet Idea as well. All I ask is lets not do them at same time. I'm going crazy with the Hornet build alone! Lol

Edited by tosouthern66

Another possibility would be a "live action" group build. Only builds with models in action. Mine would be an F-14 landing on a carrier.

Similar to this, and we are doing this in our local club, is a diorama build. We called it Diorama-rama (if you're a Simpsons fan you'll get the reference)

Another one we do, that maybe interesting is pick a kit everyone probably has like the Tamiya Corsair, and everyone builds the same kit.

Has ARC ever done an Airliner group build? I have several in the stash and would love to be involved in one.

I had an idea for one called The Smooth Kill Group Build. The aircraft must be one that achieved an air-to-air kill. by that I mean a specific airframe; for example, building "Glacier Girl" wouldn't count, but building Richard Bong's "Marge" would.

Another idea is a Medal of Honor build. The aircraft would have to be one with a pilot or crew member which won the MOH. If that's too tight, we could call it The Medal Winning Metal Group Build and let in birds that were used to win other awards like the Silver Star, Victoria Cross, etc.

Flying Colors--This one might be a bit too broad, but build whatever you want as long as it flies and is hi-viz colorful. Demonstration acft, airliners, national birds like Air Force One, air racers, CAG birds...lots of possibilities there.

An adversary build would be cool...sorry I haven't thought of a different name. I don't mean adversary aircraft like the Bad Guys build, I mean like the Monongram(?) boxing that had birds from two different air forces. I distinctly remember a Syrian MiG paired with an Israeli F-16, for example. Build a Spit and an Me-109, a Corsair and a Zero, a Tomcat and a Libyan MiG, etc. If it were open to planes that didn't actually go to war against each other but just trained for it, the possibilities get even wider-- East German MiG and Erich Hartmann's F-86, Taiwanese and Red Chinese birds, a B-52 and a Badger. I can see someone being in two builds by doing a Japanese SDF fighter and a Soviet bird.

Here's one last idea, though it would take a heck of a moderator commitment: 75 years ago. A rolling build with WWII subjects, marked as they appeared 75 years prior to the year you build it. So, build a Stuka in 2015, a Pearl Harbor P-36 in 2016, a big week B-24, etc. You could even stipulate that the build "starts" on Jan 1 and July 1 each year and the model you start has to be finished by the 6 month mark.

Edited by RodRedline

there is lots of great ideas for Group Build here... but as i'm already involved in the Great War Group Build (3 projects...maybe 4...) and expect to participate to this september StarFish Group Build (with more thant 6 Fishbed waiting for this event)

I just can't see how i could participate to another group build before March next year...(and maybe later as i have a lots of models i'd like to build...and that aren't included in the suggested GB list...)

but, if this thread is about throwing Group Build themes... have we ever make a "FlyingBoat/Seaplane GB" before? (i have none in my stash...but still would be tempted (to get and build, at least one) if there was an occasion...)

...other than that, i'll wait for a GB where i'll be able to build Flankers or Fulcrums... (or maybe the "supercar" GB that Bigasshammm mentionned...)

Next car group build will have to be a supercar GB. Maybe next year I'll find the time.

What about Big cars? I am running a poll for big kits and a few people expressed interest in big cars (1/12) and big bikes (1/6) .

there is lots of great ideas for Group Build here... but as i'm already involved in the Great War Group Build (3 projects...maybe 4...) and expect to participate to this september StarFish Group Build (with more thant 6 Fishbed waiting for this event)

I just can't see how i could participate to another group build before March next year...(and maybe later as i have a lots of models i'd like to build...and that aren't included in the suggested GB list...)

but, if this thread is about throwing Group Build themes... have we ever make a "FlyingBoat/Seaplane GB" before? (i have none in my stash...but still would be tempted (to get and build, at least one) if there was an occasion...)

...other than that, i'll wait for a GB where i'll be able to build Flankers or Fulcrums... (or maybe the "supercar" GB that Bigasshammm mentionned...)

Ahhhh.... That is WHY I started this thread. Get people thinking about FUTURE GBs that THEY may want to moderate. We are talking 6 months to a year from now.

Think about a good GB.

Put your idea out there and see if more people are interested. Usually 25 is a good number to start with. Because 25 people on ARC saying yes means 7 or 8 will ACTUALLY build something.

Put in your idea for approval, (they darn near ALWAYS get approved, sometimes slightly modified)

Then we approve and figure a date. This gives you the moderator time to advertise your GB and MAYBE arrange prizes through sponsorship.

What about Big cars? I am running a poll for big kits and a few people expressed interest in big cars (1/12) and big 😣😣😣😣bikes (1/6) .

I think that would be too precise and not get many people involved. There are several big scale kits of supercars/exotics. I've got a 1/12 F40 that I immediately thought about with the proposal of the big car kits in the one group build.

This has piqued my interest. Poll going up.

Edited by Bigasshammm