It must be the golden age of modeling - both in terms of kits and accessories. So then why does nobody make 1/48 or probably any other scale of the VFA-195 Dambusters F/A-18 with the full eagle head on the nose or the F-106 "City of Jacksonville"? If there were a couple of popular schemes, these would seem to be among them, and both the Dart and Hornet are the subjects of numerous decal sheets.

agree, i've got the 1/48 F-106 "city of jacksonville" dry transfers sheet (by archer dry transfers) in my stash, but i was really lucky... i've search for, for years, before someone accepted to sold me his set! (i plan to use them in a not so distant future...)

and even if i got it already, i would buy the decal sheet without any hesitation!

...also for the 1/48 F-106A, i would like to find the a sheet with the early 318 FIS emblem (small compass) ...maybe things will get better after new plastic kits hit the shelves... (Trumpeter announce a 1/48 F-106B not so long ago...)

Edited by mingwin
F-106 "City of Jacksonville"?

If you can find me a close up photograph of the badge on the wing tanks, I've got the rest of it done. I've never yet been able to find a photo of that drop tank badge that clearly shows the details of the design and the lettering it contains. I've had the rest of the airplane drawn for years.

If you can find me a close up photograph of the badge on the wing tanks, I've got the rest of it done. I've never yet been able to find a photo of that drop tank badge that clearly shows the details of the design and the lettering it contains. I've had the rest of the airplane drawn for years.

Someone, somewhere must have a photo! Let's get them to J so he can finish. Bici schemes seem to be making a comeback. How glorious it would be to have a sheet of the different Bicentennial markings! Anything else you have close to done that you'd like to share? :D

Mingwin, set in development--there's a nice little gallery of projected sheets from Draw Decals in this thread on the F-106 Forum:

http://forum.f-106de...read/298/decals

Thanks for the heads-up!70.gif i'll follow with great interest! as i'd like to do 3 different schemes of 318th F-106A (got 4 1/48 F-106A in my stash)

i understand your pain as the dry-transfers set you sold me didn't have them printed on...

the closest shot i ever found on the net was that one:

HA3603FP-1_zps82013f48.jpg

even when zomming-in, one can merely see more than : "This is good country 1776-1996" then in the inner circle "bicentennial (united state of america(but this part is unreadable...american revolution(like stated by Paul Boyer in the following post))

if it can help you a little to do the decal... i'd be happy to buy you the decal sheet also!laugh.gif

Someone, somewhere must have a photo! Let's get them to J so he can finish. Bici schemes seem to be making a comeback. How glorious it would be to have a sheet of the different Bicentennial markings! Anything else you have close to done that you'd like to share? biggrin.gif

sure... as hasegawa did it in 1/72... and hobbymaster have it on their diecast model...

Edited by mingwin

Hasegawa included the badge in its 1/72 scale 'Six with the City of Jacksonville on the box art. Jennings, the decal is a Cartograf, so maybe they have files they can share(?). The badge is circular (from inside out) a red disc with "76" surrounded by a thin dark blue ring with 13 white stars, then a white ring with black lettering "AMERICAN REVOLUTION BICENTENNIAL," then a thin red ring, then a thicker white ring with "THIS IS GOOD COUNTRY 1776-1976" in black or dark blue. I don't have photos of the airplane, just going with what's on the decal. Usually, Hasegawa does a good job with their references, and of course, Cartograf printing is superb. If you trust Hasegawa, I can loan you my decal for study.

Edited by Paul Boyer

I'm not convinced those models and decals aren't just made up detail (it happens every day). Surely someone out there has a good photo of it.

I would certainly hope Cartograf wouldn't give me someone else's artwork (right or wrong)! There's a little thing called "copyright".

Yes, I know about Copyright (duh!), but this might involve a publishing contract agreement. Do we know that Hasegawa's people created the artwork? Maybe a freelancer (such as yourself) was contracted to produce the image in 1/72 decal for Hasegawa, and may not be prevented from using the files to make 1/48 decals for someone else.

This discussion jump-started my remaining brain cells. I do recall the rumor 15-20 years ago about the Archer 106 dry transfers. I also went rummaging and came up with a set of Tiger Wings 1/48 F/A-18C Chippy Ho markings with 2 different eagle head noses to choose. Bought it about 10 years ago in a little hobby shop in L.A. on a biz trip. Never saw or heard tell of the sheet before or after.

Yes, I know Monogram had Chippy Ho decals with one of its boxings of its 1/48 Hornet. Academy had them with its 1/32 Hornet. And other variations of the tail markings are available. I'm mainly thinking of 1/48, but I don't recall any current or recent manufacturer going all-in on the Chippy Ho (with eagle nose) or City of Jacksonville markings in any scale. After I saw Cutting Edge do a mask set for the F-117 with the flag on the bottom, I figured the City of Jacksonville was a shoe-in, but nothing appeared.

Just curious considering these aren't obscure planes from the distant past of aviation.

also in the range of "decals nobody makes"

1/48 MiG-29 Strizhi (Old scheme(the white/blue/black one)) i know it is way less awesome that their late scheme, nonetheless i'd love to put my hands on one or two sets...

i'm aware the hasegawa did, for the japanese market, a reboxing of the 1/48 monogram MiG-29A with those marking...IIRC, but i never see it one sale anywhere, nor shows on ebay...

my only hope is to see Begemot continue their MiG-29 line of decals...

Edited by mingwin

I'm not sure if anyone makes this as a set, but they may have them individually. But I'd like to do (someday) a set of the 4 planes around the cadet area of the USAF Academy. There's an F-15A in the colors of Tyndall AFB, an F-16A in the colors of the 57th FWW, An F-105D "Iron Bu r" (It's actually "Iron Butterfly", but the t's, the e, and the "fly" have rubbed off, or they were the last time I was there, in '96) and an F-4D flown by Capt.Steve Richie. There are a few more jets scattered around the grounds of USAFA, but those 4 are right in the cadet area, and I'd like to see it as a nice decal set.

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Hasegawa included the badge in its 1/72 scale 'Six with the City of Jacksonville on the box art. Jennings, the decal is a Cartograf, so maybe they have files they can share(?). The badge is circular (from inside out) a red disc with "76" surrounded by a thin dark blue ring with 13 white stars, then a white ring with black lettering "AMERICAN REVOLUTION BICENTENNIAL," then a thin red ring, then a thicker white ring with "THIS IS GOOD COUNTRY 1776-1976" in black or dark blue. I don't have photos of the airplane, just going with what's on the decal. Usually, Hasegawa does a good job with their references, and of course, Cartograf printing is superb. If you trust Hasegawa, I can loan you my decal for study.

Hasegawa is so-so with their accuracy on some releases.I supplied everything Hasegawa could want for decals for their Indiana ANG Special F-4E releases,the 1/72 release is only half usable and the 1/48 80% usable.On both it seemed they cut and pasted specific artwork onto another file from a prior release.I trust most of the decal makers out there now more than I do kit decals

also in the range of "decals nobody makes"

1/48 MiG-29 Strizhi

My educated guess would be that the world wide market for such a decal would be measured in the low double digits.

My educated guess would be that the world wide market for such a decal would be measured in the low double digits.

you're maybe right... that's probably why Hasegawa have made an edition of the Revell/monogram kit with such undesirable subject and that i cannot find it anywhere... they might have just done 99 of them...in 2001...

It must be the golden age of modeling - both in terms of kits and accessories. So then why does nobody make 1/48 or probably any other scale of the VFA-195 Dambusters F/A-18 with the full eagle head on the nose or the F-106 "City of Jacksonville"? If there were a couple of popular schemes, these would seem to be among them, and both the Dart and Hornet are the subjects of numerous decal sheets.

FYI...

Hasegawa 1/48 SP150 - VFA-195

Hasegawa 1/48 SP150 - VFA-195 decals