The P-61 Black Widow was designed as a night fighter. Equipped with a state of the art radar, 4 machine guns and 4 cannon, the Black Widow was as deadly as its namesake. On the night of August 15, 1945, Lee Kendall was flying a P-61 named “Lady In The Dark” on patrol. An unknown aircraft was acquired on radar and “Lady In The Dark” gave chase. Realizing her had been spotted, the pilot of the unknown aircraft attempted countermeasures and evasive maneuvers but to no avail. As the Black Widow closed in, the panicked pilot inadvertently flew his aircraft into the ground. Since Japan surrendered earlier that day, this action gave “Lady In The Dark” the final aerial victory of World War II. The wreckage of a Ki-44 Tojo was spotted the following day.

P-61BlackWidow16x24Print800_zpsd7da1296.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been hesitating, but you just pushed me over da edge......this fantastic art work has all but forced me to do a "Black Beauty", be it SR, Phantom, Black Widow, Wobblin' Goblin, it will be BLACK!!!