What do you watch or listen to when you are at the bench?

Depends. Mostly during the Baseball season I've got a Yankee game on either live or on Demand. Other then that I watch U tube modeling videos, WW11 vids, major networks that have their programs on demand. The Big Bang Theory, and Graceland are two shows that I'm following.

Joel

Depends, news, hockey games or numerous old DVDs of Star Trek (TOS).

Or listening to my daughter on her drum set. Hard to hear ANYTHING else when the drums are 3 feet from the build table.

My wife getting on my case for being at the bench again...

Rob

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

these time, when i modelling, at late evening or night, i don't listen to that much things... sometimes (very quietly) AHC TV (old warplane/great planes series... and other military related stuff)

when i'm modeling in the morning... i mostly listen to my parrots singing/yelling/shouting at me to come back in the living room... (altogether, 4 cockatiels and 4 parakeets...)

Edited by mingwin

NPR on the radio or shuffle music on the computer. One reason to be at the bench is to be away from the television.

Jager

Quoted for truth.

I also moved the computer away from the bench - when it shared space with the projects, I spent more time online than working on models. Productivity was very poor, and I was not happy with the lack of progress. But since I use the iPad for music, I do have a ready portal to the net should I need to look something up in a pinch. It just doesn't live on the bench!

DVD's of television shows I've seen before, so I know what is happening just by listening and not really watching. Mostly sci-fi like Star Trek TNG and DS9, Stargate SG1, and Babylon 5, but other types of shows as well. I never, ever model without the television going.

Currently watching the second season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Nothing.

I like the zen of just me and the model. I find most of my builds go a whole lot smoother without a bunch of background noise.

When I can get some bench time this is the case with me as well. I really don't like distractions when I work on something.

Rob

I've got an old boom box-type radio by my workbench, so it's whatever radio station I'm in the mood for - 96.7 FM is playing (stuff like Coldplay, Pink, Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic), 94.5 FM (stuff like 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Outkast, Usher), or 99.1 FM (stuff like Van Halen, Godsmack, AC/DC, Metallica). During basketball season, I'll take my laptop out and keep an eye on a streaming feed of the Laker game.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Fast movers need fast music. Airliners need laid back tunes. Bombers and armor somewhere in between. Rush one night...Iron Maiden the next...KISS...Metallica...Pantera......

:blink: Oh...??? Me thought I was the only psycho modeller who needed to listen to specific music or bands accordin' to the subject bein' built...

Nuthin' like listenin' to Accept, Megadeth or Anthrax while buildin' large bombers in 1/48th scale. It's just like havin' the roar of those multi-engine planes.

Subdivisions or Afterimage by Rush has always appealed me in order to build modern Russian jets - dunno why. It's in my skull.

Then it's mostly Classic Metal, Goth Metal, Death, Black and Doom Metal for me, blasted thru' a pair of Yamaha NS1000M loudspeakers. Neighbours delighted, of course. :lol:

Mostly 80s rock. However.... there is the occasional TV show playing in the background. But if I'm out of town with work and I bring a kit it's metal. I don't know why that is but it always happens that way.

I have a late 90s boombox in my model shop. I usually just put on a talk radio station for "noise" . I used to play a CD occasionally, usually what ever classic rock fit my mood. I got tired of loosing track of CDs in the model shop, so I found a cassette adapter in my pile of cables and other electronic junk, so I connect it to my "old fashioned" hard disk based ipod and listen to what ever suits my mood at the time. Lately, after seeing the movie "Jersey Boys" , Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons are in heavy rotation. as well as the just released CSNY 1974 ... they finally issued an album of the CSNY 1974 summer tour.