Proposal: Big Kit not 1/32 GB

are you in?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Big Kit not 1/32 GB ?

• Oh yeah! I am in!
    • mmmm... well maybe...
    • No way

Slaying the Dragon.

I wondered if I could add a few of the dragons under my workbench that I have never had the nerve to approach. All are 1/72, and, at least in my opinion, would qualify as big.

Hasegawa P-3C Orion

Hasegawa P-2 Neptune

Trumpeter Xian JHU-6 Tanker (I opened the box, took one look, whistled, and closed the box!)

My modeling skills are so modest that I bought them and there they stay.... mocking me.

Your Group Build idea would be a great incentive for me to sharpen my lance and with quaking heart and knocking knees -

Knock off one of those bad boys.

Great idea.

:worship:/>/>

Harry

Lutz, FL

Those 3 are large enough. I owned the bomber version of that tanker at one point, but sold it as I figured I would probably not get to it. I also was a bit overwhelmed with the parts count and the separate flaps/ etc.

We are up to 13 votes, Anyone else interested?

• 1 month later...

This seems a little complicated.

If it is supposed to highlight huge kits then why exclude the large scales. A large kit is impressive regardless of scale. If it is to highlight large subjects, then why exclude the small scale large subjects.

A 1/200 scale 747 is just a tad larger than a 1/48 P-47, but still a nice model of an impressively large aircraft.

Also left out the whirly gigs, I would think the Chinook, and Mi26 would be appropriate.

We've recently had a large scale build so I vote for the large subject who cares about scale. This is fairly self limiting since there are only a few 1/32 kits of large multi engine aircraft.

correct, it does need some finetuning.

just my personal opinion; but i think 1/32 should be excluded (and even 1/48) its about small scale models in 1/72 and smaller that when built are larger than your average 1/32 or big 1/48 model??

where is the GB proposer ?

I am here. I thought this one had died a while ago, so I let it be.

I am glad to see some more interest, and I am open to fine tuning and suggestions. I Just want to see the big multi engine models built, I wanted to open it up to 1/48th as well to include it up to the big monogram kits everyone has but never builds.

Kurt,

I was just going over this thread and I was sizing up the specifics of it, and there is really only one kit in my collection that would closely match the specifics of the group build. The kit I am thinking about is a big kit and it is smaller than 1/48th scale and it is multi-engined. But it is not a tanker or bomber or can't even be considered an aircraft at all. It is a space craft. I am speaking of the Polar Lights 1/350th scale Star Trek USS Enterprise. I know that this ARC but we have space/science fiction here and we also have ships here and I know that the Tamiya namesake carrier is a large kit along with many of the larger scale ships that are still "smaller" than 1/48th scale. So before I give a yes vote, I will need to know if the rules can be stretched a little to include these BIG kits. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen

A very clear definition of the GB will definitely help to make this a success.

My interpretation of this GB, in a nutshell, is basically a big/huge model kit build despite it's scale.

From it's introduction in 1968 onward, the Monogram 1/72nd scale B-52 ruled this class hands down of model building.

However, another model that trumps the B-52 for this GB would be the Trumpeter 1/200th scale USS Iowa. It's over 135cm long and 16.5cm wide!

Gentle Folk,

May I propose a criteria that might define the parameters a little more precisely.

"If I build this thing, where in God's name will I put it?"

Heck, part of the fun would be trying to figure out where to put the beast - since it barely fit when stored, unassembled.

Sheer, physical size of finished product - and corresponding scramble to display - that is what I would propose.

For example, I have a Heller E-3 and an AMT B-52G which, even with my marginal modeling skills, would look AWESOME on the display shelf. But which shelf? Both would require major reorganization of my home just to display. Sure would be fun to try and build, though.

Harry

Lutz, FL

I think to make this work, we need to stick to airplanes only. At this point I am going to close the poll, and re-think the concept and make it simpler.

Thank you to all who voted. If you have suggestions, and can help me present this based on the ideas I put in post #21 of this thread, please feel free to PM me.

I think to make this work, we need to stick to airplanes only. At this point I am going to close the poll, and re-think the concept and make it simpler.

Thank you to all who voted. If you have suggestions, and can help me present this based on the ideas I put in post #21 of this thread, please feel free to PM me.

Kurt,

OK, I am OUT. I don't have any of the kits that you have listed in Post #21 as I don't build any of those subjects. Thanks Anyway and Sorry!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Thank you phantom.

Y'all heard the man, I need a second moderator .. would any one be kind enough to help out? It will be fun! This will be for the second half of next year.

Edited by Kurt H.