Proposal: Big Kit not 1/32 GB

are you in?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Big Kit not 1/32 GB ?

• Oh yeah! I am in!
    • mmmm... well maybe...
    • No way

Great news phantom.

We will be on the calendar, so if you want to participate, finish up what you are working on so you have room on your work bench for a big model. The bigger the better. Start looking through your stash now for that big kit you probably will never get to. Once we get closer to start date, I will start a thread so we can post what we will build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok Folks

6 month warning! We start in the second half of the year. Start looking in the depths of your stash for that big Airliner, Bomber, or air lifter in 1/48 or numerically smaller scale.

Does anyone want to take on a project like TommyP's C-17 ?

To briefly recap, here are the kinds of kits for this build - something about the size of these :

1/48: B-1, B-17, B-24, B-29, B-58, B-25 , B-26 marauder, B/A-26 Invader, DC-3/C-47, C-130, Catalina, Canberra, JU-52, HE-111, DO-217

1/72 : B-1, B-52, B-47, B-36, C-130, c-133, C-123, C-141, KC/DC-10, C-119, A400M , Boeing 7X7 series, Tu-95, B-47 KC-135, AMT flying wings, XB-70, C-5 , C-124, Constellation, V bombers, Nimrod, P-3, S-3, C-2, E-2, Gigant

1/144: 747, a380, Spruce Goose, C-5, C-124, Martin Mars

(or, when the model is complete, you ask yourself "where am I going to put this? "

To briefly recap, here are the kinds of kits for this build - something about the size of these :

I would LOVE a 1/144 Spruce Goose! Anybody aware of such a beast? I only know about the Minicraft 1/200 kit...

Ok Folks

6 month warning! We start in the second half of the year. Start looking in the depths of your stash for that big Airliner, Bomber, or air lifter in 1/48 or numerically smaller scale.

Does anyone want to take on a project like TommyP's C-17 ?

1/48: B-1, B-17, B-24, B-29, B-58, B-25 , B-26 marauder, B/A-26 Invader, DC-3/C-47, C-130, Catalina, Canberra, JU-52, HE-111, DO-217

1/72 : B-1, B-52, B-47, B-36, C-130, c-133, C-123, C-141, KC/DC-10, C-119, A400M , Boeing 7X7 series, Tu-95, B-47 KC-135, AMT flying wings, XB-70, C-5 , C-124, Constellation, V bombers, Nimrod, P-3, S-3, C-2, E-2, Gigant

(or, when the model is complete, you ask yourself "where am I going to put this? "

Add:

1) 1/144th C-17

2) 1/72nd Airbus A400M

• 2 months later...

Well I just stumbled on this after seeing the future group builds notification.

I have SO many kits for this it is not funny. Might start with a smaller one like a 1/72 C-130 or P-3C biggrin.gif

I do have a Combat C-17 after seeing what Tom P has done with his, but am not sure about it yet.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

1/48 CH-53?

It'll (have to) be all folded up but it's still a gigantic helo.

Hmmm

I did not think Helos in the original description so lets break it down

Is it larger than a B-25 ?

Length: 88 ft 6 in (26.97 m)

Rotor diameter: 72 ft 2.8 in (22.01 m)

b-25:

Length: 52 ft 11 in (16.13 m)

Wingspan: 67 ft 7 in (20.60 m)

Primary mission: cargo .. CH-53 the mission letter is C

Multi-engine : Yes

1/48th or smaller? yes

Hard to find a place to display? yes

Any chance you can build it unfolded?

Doubtful. Can't devote that much space to it as it may be a gift for my neighbors. I may not fold the tail but the main rotors will definitely be folded. I don't think they need another ceiling fan.

I got it .. leave the blades un glued, then fold them and present the model :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow large kit fans....

two months until this GB starts, on July 1st

Start digging through your stash or scrounging vendor tables at your local show , or your favorite hobby retailer for a large kit to join this group build.

basic guidelines:

1/48th or smaller scale (numerically higher so 1/48th , 1/72 , 1/144th etc)

2 engine or more Bomber, Cargo, tanker, or airliner

finished model larger than 1/48th B-25 or "where the heck am I going to put this thing?"

Any media ... IM, Resin, or vac

As for me, I am still deciding between the RoG A400M or the Monogram B-24D

Remember ... "No kit too large"

Edited by Kurt H.

Hello, regular modeling board user, but new to here. I am quite interested in this GB, and just might pull out an AM B-25 for it. I was just curious, to keep my options open, but would a 1/48 A-20 be eligible, or is that a no-go since it is actually slightly smaller than a B-25?

Thanks guys!

Hmmm

I did not think Helos in the original description so lets break it down

Is it larger than a B-25 ?

Length: 88 ft 6 in (26.97 m)

Rotor diameter: 72 ft 2.8 in (22.01 m)

b-25:

Length: 52 ft 11 in (16.13 m)

Wingspan: 67 ft 7 in (20.60 m)

Primary mission: cargo .. CH-53 the mission letter is C

Multi-engine : Yes

1/48th or smaller? yes

Hard to find a place to display? yes

Any chance you can build it unfolded?

If the B-25 is the goal post, in 1/48 that is 13" long with a 17" wingspan. As a rough rule of thumb for consideration you could just say multi-engine, 1/48 or smaller and it must break the line of a 12x12" box in one or more dimensions (height being included in case you are considering allowing kits of spacecraft like the 1/96 Saturn V). For me any aircraft model larger than 12" is kind of hard to find a spot for.

Just seems like setting a very clear bar would save you the trouble of approving each entry individually, then you are only dealing with the occasional exception that might not quite fit by the letter but clearly meets the intent, like a 1/48 F-105 Thunderchief (only a single engine, but as long as a B-25s wingspan) or a 1/72 Me321 Gigant (it is a glider so no engines, but it clearly meets the big criteria).

Doubtful. Can't devote that much space to it as it may be a gift for my neighbors. I may not fold the tail but the main rotors will definitely be folded. I don't think they need another ceiling fan.

That would make an awesome ceiling fan. :thumbsup:

That would make an awesome ceiling fan. :thumbsup:

My wife and I went to get new fans to replace the two that conked out in our family room. A beautiful 3-blade aircraft propeller fan caught my eye as I walked in the store. Needless to say, she shot me down as soon as I pointed and started saying "Oh, honey, look at that!" :rofl:

Bless her heart, she was in full agreement when I ordered a nice 6'x4'x18" oak display case for the library. :yahoo: With that, I won't really have to ask myself where I'm going to put the beast...

If the B-25 is the goal post, in 1/48 that is 13" long with a 17" wingspan. As a rough rule of thumb for consideration you could just say multi-engine, 1/48 or smaller and it must break the line of a 12x12" box in one or more dimensions (height being included in case you are considering allowing kits of spacecraft like the 1/96 Saturn V). For me any aircraft model larger than 12" is kind of hard to find a spot for.

Just seems like setting a very clear bar would save you the trouble of approving each entry individually, then you are only dealing with the occasional exception that might not quite fit by the letter but clearly meets the intent, like a 1/48 F-105 Thunderchief (only a single engine, but as long as a B-25s wingspan) or a 1/72 Me321 Gigant (it is a glider so no engines, but it clearly meets the big criteria).

That is a good simple criteria. I thought long and hard for way to define "large kit". Let me think about the dimensions. In any case I would reject an F-105 since it is single engine, and while technically it is a bomber, it is designated a fighter, though clearly very large for a fighter. I picked the B-25 as the goal post since it was the smallest of the monogram large bombers. The goal is to build the big ones, I just did not want to limit it to monogram derived tooling.

Yeah, I've found it seems to help GBs if you have something easy that will cover the majority of entries. If people have to play the How about this, no? How about this? game, you eventually lose participants as they get frustrated by having their ideas shot down. Of course it also helps you by not having to constantly evaluate newcomers GB submissions.

The dimensions were just based on the 1/48 B-25 and something I have readily available for visual reference, a 12" floor tile.

The F-105 was simply an aircraft that came to mind as potentially meeting the criteria (its big) while not (single engine). Although I have no plans to build one, in 1/48 it is nearly 17" long with an 8.5" wingspan, so not exactly a small model, holding too closely to something like multi-engine may eliminate something interesting that really does fit the spirit of the GB.

Edited by Aaronw

Let us do a 13" box - here are the B-25 dimensions:

B-25 mitchell

length 52 ft 11 in = 635" 1/48th = 13.22 "

Wingspan: 67 ft 7 in = 811" 1/48th = 16.895"

Length is the smaller dimension, just about 13 1/4th

Phantom - if you see this, does this require any update to the GB Board?