Revell 1/32 bell Jetranger

It is a reboxed (many times over) old kit from the '60s. It is a civilian version Bell 206 Jet Ranger. It can be modified into a military OH-48A Kiowa with some reworking of the side windows and the interior. It builds up OK with some efforts.

Edited by HeavyArty

It'd be nice to see some resin to convert it to either a Vietnam era OH-58A w/ minigun (also known by OH-6 pilots as the "OH-5.8") or a later OH-58C model (minus that hideous flat-plat windscreen).

Edited by 11bee

It is a good starting point and pretty easy to convert it into an A or C model. The Werner's Wings minigun setup for the OH-6 can also be used on an OH-58. AM would be great, but good old scratch-building works just fine too.

Nah, I thought about that the model might be able to be built into Cincinnati 's WCPO chopper 9:

F28A1F3E-30FC-41E1-86C4-1BA8064E75C3_zpsna4n9g16.jpg

Tim

I think it would be perfect as a news bird. All it looks like you would have to change is the skids, add a FLIR, and a few other bits. Pretty much and 1/35 or 1/32 AM parts for other helos would fit it. I say go for it.

Does anyone do aftermarket high skids to do for e.g an Australian Army Kiowa?

nope...as stated above, there is simply nothing.

Just a few comments from my p.o.v.

It's certainly possible to build an acceptable model out of it, but the kit represents a very early Jet Ranger combined with the kit development standards from the late 1960'ies.

Either you want to build a (mor current) JR or a Kiowa, the windows have to be reworked in any case. For a civilian JR, the way too oversized sliding window rails have to be removed and one should keep in mind that later on, outward bulged windows became standard. AFAIK the overall size of the cabin windows was slightly reduced as serial production went on. Next to these aspects are other things regarding pedal window shape and interior bits.

Only the civilian early standard skids with aerodynamic crosstube fairings are included. Whether you want to have an OH-58s skid gear or even a high skid gear, it should be reworked from other kinds of tube.

Most prominent issue with this kit is the shape of the windshield windows. They should be slightly be more "blown up" and not as "sleek" as with the kit.

Depends on the personal demands of the indivudual modler, but "some efforts" is an arguable term :rolleyes:/>

Edited by troschi

It is a good starting point and pretty easy to convert it into an A or C model. The Werner's Wings minigun setup for the OH-6 can also be used on an OH-58. AM would be great, but good old scratch-building works just fine too.

As noted above, it's a bit more involved. Also, for the A, you would also have to provide the exposed T/R drive shaft, which (at least to me) is a lot of work. The C would need exhaust IR suppressors which are also a bit tricky to scratch-build. I'm all about scratch-building when necessary but my time is at a premium. I'm sure plenty of modelers on this forum could do a fantastic job without resin parts but unfortunately, I won't be one of them.

I would love to have an accurate Jet Ranger or OH-58A or C model in 1/35.

Talking about this kit, we all know about the crappy flat shaped windscreen, but my question is, can we use the windscreen of the MRC OH-58D and cutting it without the bulged green houses??

Some other issues i have seen in the Revell JR are the skids, that are the original ones seen in the Jet Ranger A model during the 60s and 70s, the other issue is the interior that doesnt come so detailed, the rotors are lack of detail too.

Apart from an accurate UH-1H in 35th, i would love to have a Jet Ranger too.

Rod.