Eduard 1/48 Nieuport 17... a 3rd one!

always on the eastern front of the Great war...

always on the Russian side...

not exactly sure which scheme it will be... but great chance it will be Donat A.Makeenok's Nieuport in the summer 1917

the base kit is the weekend edition of the 1/48 Eduard Nieuport 17 (with borrowed decals and some PE added from leftover set...)

DSCN6810_zpsdf694e8d.jpg

interior is already painted (doing the job at the same time than my other Ni-17)

i've tried, without that much success, to replicate the oblique wood-job on the mahogany (if i try some attempt on my other builds, i seach for an other way to do so...)

DSCN6805_zps597dcfd4.jpg

here are the 4 PE seats and some other parts that have been paint... awaiting for the clear coat before the oils...

and if you wonder why i'm doing 4 nieuports...

here's a part of the reason why:

DSCN6814_zps22ca21c6.jpg

i have bought the eduard wire stretchers and horns set... and also the Part set... as i was quite insecure on the rigging part of the building... and thought that this might help me a little to have better results...

these two sets worth as much as 2 of my nieuports kits... so i decided to dive into this completely... (those PE should be enough for 4 kits)

DSCN6815_zps98fcda34.jpg

some very little progress...

working with oil, force to slow down the tempo...

that thak reddish/brown color is soppose to simulate mahogany (oblique board stripes)

here's my 3 Nieuport 17 fuselage inner walls side by side (the third one will have some PE structure added late, hence the non painted lighter frame)

DSCN6858_zps90dcedc7.jpg

and here's a view on some (most but not all) parts that are getting the woodgrain treatment:

DSCN6828_zpse8678f5a.jpg

and a close up of one of my ni-17 propellers

DSCN6870_zps38ad63de.jpg

again, that the part i had the most success with my wood effect... still not completed as i have to protect it with some clear cote....

very small update for this thread...

this one also have its engine painted noww00t.gif... like all my others, i know...

(photo with camera flash)

DSCN6890_zpsb3fb9076.jpg

photo under my desk lamp...

DSCN6897_zpsfccfbfb1.jpg

thanks for taking a look70.gif

• 2 weeks later...

nonetheless...

i have made seat cushion from Tamiya polyester putty for all my nieuport 17 builds...

they might look a little crude when enlarge like on this photo, but in real, they didn't look bad at all!

DSCN6983_zps3e338b4f.jpg

DSCN6987_zpsed371da8.jpg

now at the beginning of posing seatbelts on those seats...

little evening update...

DSCN7049_zpse1b88c79.jpg

DSCN7050_zpsa39c8f2c.jpg

DSCN7051_zps62749b08.jpg

it have to be said that there was only one boxing of the eduard nieuport 17 that have the cockpit gauges (and decals) included! and it was the "in Russian service" boxing. even the extra PE set didn't do anything in that area...

happily the boxing have a couple of spare/extra PE and decals to dress one more model, this model got it gauges from the unused decals of the Ni-11 i'm building and one of it gauge is made from sheet styrene cut with a die-punch.

and finally (for today) here's the 3 sub-assembly, side by side:

DSCN7031_zps469be98d.jpg

thank you for looking!

and comments (and remarks) are, as always, appreciated and welcomesmile.gif

have a nice day!

late evening update...

today, i've glued fuselage halves on my 3 Nieuport 17

i have faced a couple a of difficulties...

like on this one:

DSCN7053_zpsd27ad24e.jpg

that aluminium panel that goes after the internal vertical structure in the front part of the cockpit, have broke and fall loose in the front of the fuselage, with no other way to bring it out (without breaking fragile gauges (or other even more "precious" item of the pit)) than to drill hole in the front, bring it out... then, re-glued it at its place... then, fill the hole with polyester putty (tamiya)...sand everything down...

DSCN7054_zps69cc6a73.jpg

i leave no hole for the propeller/engine support plastic rode...but that shouldn't cause much trouble, as with my "custom" engine arrangement, i couldn't use it as proposed with the kit... i'll see later what i'll do about that...

DSCN7055_zps5e3f3b5c.jpg

seams have been puttied and sand smooth (as smooth as i could)...i'll give it a shoot of primer in the following fays, just to make sure it has no (more) flaws in the joint area...

thank you for looking!

have a nice modelling time271.gif

...or at least, have a good time looking at other's modelingbiggrin.gif

Edited by mingwin

and here's my 3rd Nieuport 17 thread update...

DSCN7145_zps9a6f33b8.jpg

DSCN7146_zps643b5894.jpg

DSCN7147_zpsb92d41bd.jpg

DSCN7148_zps1d00e70e.jpg

...and an underside shot...

DSCN7150_zpsc41c308c.jpg

stabilators have been sanded down to plastic in some area, because primer had made some "pebbles" on some places...

Edited by mingwin

here's a close shot of the cowling of that one.

as i didn't have the required PE parts to make the reinforcement with the kit (and that those parts weren't available in the extra PE set i've buy) i make them with some metal wire glued with CA cement. it's looks OK (could have been better... i have struggle to glue them in place correctly...)

DSCN7234_zps61ea5c84.jpg

decalling job is also done on that one... this one gives me cold sweats! i nearly broke/shrink/loose the port side main decal (with the lady)... it would have been a kind of a little drama for that build... as replacement marking are not easy to find for those russians nieuports.

the decal finally sets somewhat "off" to its intended position... (and slightly broken) but as i've been close to a disaster... i'll take it as is... so here it is:

DSCN7247_zps9884d2aa.jpg

the other side (not pictured) has gone without any trouble... go figure...

Edited by mingwin

a little weekly update for this one...

this week, i've been adding some aluminium tape element... thought it would looks cool...

it was... but it was also looking too bright...

i have done the two access panels behind the engine compartment, plus some kind of heat screen...

since it was too bright, i have been adding a vertical scratching texture on those sides panels... still too bright... so i have tone them down with a shot of alclad white aluminium color.

i also done the "lacing" in front of the cockpit (painting and decals)...i'll have to "dull" them a little with flat clear...later.

DSCN7407_zpsd1c5a8f2.jpg

DSCN7408_zps3652e7ed.jpg

DSCN7409_zps8501ec2b.jpg

today i've completed the aft rigging on that one also...i'm getting better at this every time!(which is encouraging!)

DSCN7442_zps11056c2f.jpg

then i start the landing gear rigging process... that gives me a lot of trouble...

that one was the first to have its landing gear glued... so i have learned a lot doing it... and have done many mistakessad.gif ...in the end it's glued in place, have a "correct" stance... but is far from being as neat as i would like it to be...

DSCN7443_zps3b13a62c.jpg

i have used it before on some parts of bare metal finish, with rather great results. (it doesn't comply well on complex surfaces... but you can still cover most of a 50's jet...just apply, one panel after another) i slightly sand in one direction to obtain some of the very hard to replicate BMF effects. it worth the try.

i've glued some small PE bits before the "lower" rigging. hope they'll stay glued in place for tomorrow's rigging task... (some might need to be bend to a correct angle)

DSCN7471_zpsf4ddc37a.jpg

i have lived a small nightmare while gluing the head rest... the seat fall in the fuselage! ...so i had to bring it out... then i say to myself: why not glue the head rest, the put back the seat... bad idea, as the seat was too big for the cockpit opening when the headrest is in place... so i had to broke my seat in two parts in order to put it back in place! ...luckily, i succeed! and now everything looks OK (seat didn't suffer much from the operation)

so i decided to "patch" the gap with aluminium tape... (the real thing cowl, have , some time, a "chrome/polished aluminium" rib a its base) ...not perfect, but nonetheless way better than a gap, and less destructive than most filling operation (by me, at least)

DSCN7489_zpsd3e547b6.jpg

DSCN7490_zps7dfa3b06.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

and my third Nieuport 17 is also completed!newbanana.gif...have had a hard time with this one (i don't know why, this build seems like having a curse on it...and most of my problems and accident occurs on that one...)

nonetheless, i'm rather satisfy of the final result. and proud of all the efforts i've put on all of this GB builds i've done so far... (and there is still one more to come... but only in 2 weeks or more...)

here's the pictures:

DSCN7642_zps6c397ef8.jpg

DSCN7644_zpsf7aba150.jpg

DSCN7646_zpse3db4d77.jpg

DSCN7648_zps01119d53.jpg