1/48 "Black Cats" PBY Catalina

Just about finishing up my latest build. 1/48 Monogram PBY. Aftermarket used: True Details wheels, Terry Dean nose weight, eduard canopy masks & Yellow hammer decals. The decals were pretty old and did not settle well - probably the biggest fault I have with this build. Oh well, still not bad. Model master enamel paints used - with base black faded on the upper surfaces. Before the black - I painted the kit the original blue/grey camo and then used a magic eraser cleaning pad to scub away the black to reveal the glue grey underneath. Some brown chalk used on the upper wing for some color variation. Antenna wire was made using EZ-wire (wonderful stuff!). I also scraped away the molded in rope on the left front fuselage. Not sure if I should add it using the real thing, or just leave it as is. You can take a look at my build thead if you'd like here.

thanks for looking!

IMG_9623_zpsf718eabc.jpg

IMG_9625_zps4ad6d31b.jpg

IMG_9627_zps878bd023.jpg

IMG_9628_zps05420e71.jpg

IMG_9630_zps05a8aa7d.jpg

IMG_9631_zps382ed570.jpg

IMG_9632_zps20eaada1.jpg

IMG_9634_zps337dc61e.jpg

IMG_9635_zps858970f0.jpg

IMG_9639_zpsbef02c5e.jpg

That is a really awesome job on a very difficult finish! :thumbsup:

I followed your build thread; I'm going to try some of your techniques, especially the magic eraser to weather the color coat...

Man, that is one awesome deck!! ;)

And that PBY...beautiful. You gotta tell me how you got the chipped paint effect. Got me a couple of those Mr. Clean erasers...gonna give those a go right away.

jp

Matt, You have simply done an overall remarkable job on the PBY. Your skills and techniques have done the Black Cat scheme justice. Thank you for buying this kit from me as it had been sitting in my stash for a number of years. It does me good to see it built in such a magnificent manner. It has been an absolute pleasure to follow your build. I wish you many years of happy modeling. Take Care, Joe