tips for Eduard F6F-5 decals

Guys, I have enjoyed building this model, it is beautifully engineered and goes together like a dream.

However, I have started to decal it, and I am struggling with the super delicate decals, both with them falling apart and also with a lot of silvering. The finish on the model is not a full gloss, but glossier than a satin coat. I am using Micro Sol, but as they don't sell it here I am not able to use future.

On the first go, I found the decals would break apart with the slightest touch, such that I was unable to get some off them off the carrier film, and this is without any application of Sol. Once on the model, I managed to piece together most, but after allowing them to dry for a while, it is clear that they are not setting down onto the surface, they are silvering like mad. A touch with water at the edge is wicked under really easily, but when it dries it reveals the silvering again.

I tried Humbrol Clear, which is supposed to be like future, but the decals wrinkle, and dry wrinkled.

I have applied decals to a surfaces that have been prepared a lot worse than this model, so maybe there is a trick to getting these ones to set properly?

Cheers

Les

Guys, I have enjoyed building this model, it is beautifully engineered and goes together like a dream.

However, I have started to decal it, and I am struggling with the super delicate decals, both with them falling apart and also with a lot of silvering. The finish on the model is not a full gloss, but glossier than a satin coat. I am using Micro Sol, but as they don't sell it here I am not able to use future.

On the first go, I found the decals would break apart with the slightest touch, such that I was unable to get some off them off the carrier film, and this is without any application of Sol. Once on the model, I managed to piece together most, but after allowing them to dry for a while, it is clear that they are not setting down onto the surface, they are silvering like mad. A touch with water at the edge is wicked under really easily, but when it dries it reveals the silvering again.

I tried Humbrol Clear, which is supposed to be like future, but the decals wrinkle, and dry wrinkled.

I have applied decals to a surfaces that have been prepared a lot worse than this model, so maybe there is a trick to getting these ones to set properly?

Cheers

Les

You might give the decals a coat of Micro Liquid Decal Film, which will thicken (slightly) and strengthen them. If you haven't ever used it, it's great stuff. Just brush it on; it'll lie down and disappear.

I've had the silvering problem with Eduard decals. It might be worth the time/trouble to get a real gloss surface on the model before you apply any more decals. Also, when applying the MicroSol, you want to prick the silvered areas lightly with a needle. I usually apply the Sol first and then begin pricking. (Forgive me if you already know that technique -- no intent to be patronizing.) If you can find/obtain it, you might try using SolvaSet instead of MicroSol -- it's quite a bit stronger, so use with care. I believe Champ also makes an "industrial strength" solution.

I don't know where "Here" is but I'd try to get some "Future", Amazon would be a good place to start.

The 1st problem of the decal not coming off the paper, I'd let it soak till it did, you can gently nudge it, but I would drown it till it came off by itself.

Then Future, use it as a setting solution, but not full strength,just a few drops in a small cap of water, this will do 2 things, if you lost some adhesive from the soaking process this will help it adhere, it will also suck down the decal as some setting solutions do, and will certainly prevent silvering,then IF needed after the decal has set and you still need some softener you can use it then.

I suggest just a few drops of future to make up the setting solution, if you go too heavy or full strength your decal will stick and cause you some trouble, if you find your decal is beginning to stick then hit it with a brush load of water, this will get it moving again. The trick is with brittle decals is to keep them floating on a cushion of water, till they are in the position you want, then suck out the fluid with a tissue, then leave them alone.

Curt

Thanks guys, will try those tips, unfortunately with the exception of the Future as in Australia it has been discontinued and I can't find anyone who will ship it here due to regulations and ultimately cost. The modelling community here have been clamouring for its return but to no avail.

Possibly in the near future (no pun intended) I will be travelling overseas, and I will take to opportunity to see if I can buy some

Cheers

Les