Lindberg's venerable 1/48 JN-4 "Jenny"

Progress to date. Wing on:

JN4_047.jpg

And why it's going rather slow. Even with all the pre-rigging, I still have to add about half as much:

JN4_048.jpg

I'm trying something new here by making turnbuckles out of stretched plastic Q-Tip. They're hollow and stretch a lot like sprue. However, they stretch out flat and while it's easy to "round" them out with tweezers, it's also easy to flatten them again while holding them in the tweezers to get the piece on the rigging line. So yeah, the going is slow but I like it a lot better with the "turnbuckles" than without. This plane just wouldn't look as busy as it should without them:

JN4_049.jpg

I don't know if this one will make it by the end of the year (group build), but I'll keep posting progress until it's done.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With the rigging of the wings nearly finished (the kingposts remain) and since I'm essentially rigging this fore to aft, it's time for those wheels. Here's how it's going so far:

DSC01195.jpg

I started by drilling and grinding the centers out of all 4 wheels that came with the kit (two wheels are from the hand dolly shown on the box cover). Once they were close, I sanded the tires down so they were right around half gone. Then I used a quick set water based craft glue to glue tire halves together and sanded the assembly so it looked like a tire (the piece on the right in the pic). After popping the halves apart the photo etch piece was cut out and cut up and I set it in place and used the flattened end of a toothpick to press it down so the outer crown was flush to the outside of the tire half. Then the tedious task of gluing the piece to the tire. Using the straight pin in a toothpick tool in the pic I made a little puddle of superglue and applied it to about every third spoke to make sure it stayed on center (and a good thing too as it didn't like to stay in place). Once it dried I hit every spoke, holding it in place with the tool until it set up. And it didn't always stick to the part. And now I'm cutting off the excess photo etch.

A lot of work to be sure but it'll really doll up this old kit.

Ken

And just for fun, most of the wing structure rigged:

DSC01197.jpg

Still the kingposts to do and it's on to landing gear. Then tail controls and supports, and that should be just about it.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Yup-and now it's done:

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

Maybe one day I'll get a gallon of Future and dip that base. And those wire wheels really did make a difference. A few of the WW I kits I've picked up recently have them included, so spokes will show up a lot on some of the near future builds.

Good to have it off the bench. I didn't want to start anything else until it was done.

Ken

Ken,

You've gotten an awesome result from the kit.

I'm going to use several of your techniques with the Lindberg 1910 and 1911 aircraft in my stash.

--

dnl

Well thanks, gents. And I've been looking at some of those old Lindberg kits... :crying2:/>

(like I need to tackle another one of those right now)

Ken

Ken,

WOW !!

Just seen this and what a marvellous build Ken.

She is EXQUISITE looking..NICE base too and the rigging et al looks SUPERB...

STUNNING Jenny :wub:

:worship::worship::worship:

Edited by HOLMES