Hi all

I really want to do a 1/48 F-22. After getting up close at an air show recently I was impressed by the green, almost holographic look of the HUD. I know that Haswgawa made a polarize finish that was perfect for replicating that look, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know of an alternative product or process for getting that cool finish? Thanks in advance!

There has been at least one thread on this topic in this sub-forum. IIRC, summary is there are cellophane films for wrapping with suitable properties available from Party City, Michaels, or other such outlets.

I wonder why so far no one of the aftermarket decal producers made us a small set with HUD-symbols in clear green. Would work like a charm on any transparent HUD!

HAJO

Actually, cutting edge did do some HUD decals. I have a sheet that I have been saving to use on inflight display ;)/> Unfortunately, now that CE is out of business they are hard to get hold of. I hope some other AM company will create new ones.

My link

Iridescent film from Michaels, works for me. Used the clear HUD piece as a template, using a sharp blade trim to size and secure the film using a dab of Future. Takes 5 minutes but adds a lot I think. And it's CHEAP.

Sorry for the poor picture quality

Edited by godfrey1775

Liquitex also has an iridescent acrylic medium.

I would urge caution before using irridescent acrylic mediums on clear parts. Test it first. My experience is that although the carrier medium dries clear, the irridescent particles do not which leaves a "candy apple metallic" appearance.

Those all look good, but they just color the whole HUD. I thought about something that resembles data like a gun-pipper, the "ladder" for the climb gradient and so on - all the stuff you usually see when you´re a pilot looking through a HUD. And that could be done with some decals, so my thought.

HAJO

I thought about something that resembles data like a gun-pipper, the "ladder" for the climb gradient and so on - all the stuff you usually see when you´re a pilot looking through a HUD.

And it would be unrealistic on a scale model. The optics of a HUD display are viewable in only a specific and narrow field of view corresponding to the position of the pilot's head. If the pilot were to move his head only a few inches out of place he would be unable to see the HUD symbology. Depicting the symbology as visible anywhere outside the cockpit on a model (or in real life) would be unrealistic.

Edited by habu2

Those all look good, but they just color the whole HUD. I thought about something that resembles data like a gun-pipper, the "ladder" for the climb gradient and so on - all the stuff you usually see when you´re a pilot looking through a HUD. And that could be done with some decals, so my thought.

HAJO

Like this. Scroll down further to see more images.

it would be unrealistic on a scale model.

Yes, but it looks good.

Edited by geedubelyer
Yes, but it looks good.

Unrealistic "looks good" ??? :rolleyes:

I guess you have to put this in the same category as showing MFDs powered on with an open cockpit and no pilot... :bandhead2:

Edited by habu2

Unrealistic "looks good" ??? :rolleyes:/>

I guess you have to put this in the same category as showing MFDs powered on with an open cockpit and no pilot... :bandhead2:/>

Or preshading, or a plane with weapons and no pilot, but without RBF tags. Or what-if's, or a Panzer IV in a shade of gray that was only used for 2 weeks in the summer of 1943, in a diorama COVERED WITH SNOW!? I mean, how can you say a model looks good at all?! I mean, the real thing is like, 48 times bigger than the model. It's so unrealistic to expect it to be that small.

Okay, that's enough examples. Yes, Habu. Unrealistic DOES look good. Every "good looking" model has something about it that isn't exactly a scaled-down, perfect replica of the real thing. They all have little imperfections, or a weapon fit that normally isn't used, or a paint job that has preshading, and a wash, and drybrushing. This is ART. It's something people do out of a desire to build something that looks like a full-size vehicle or item that they enjoy. Practically every great artwork ever produced is somehow unrealistic. The background of the Mona Lisa is all cockeyed. If Mary from Michelangelo's Pieta stood up, her lap would be ridiculously long. I've never seen a Starry Night that looks just like Van Gogh painted. But the point is, they are enjoyable, because there is a beauty to the imperfections. When judging at a contest, okay. The unrealistic aspects might be enough to break a tie. But I look at models I've done, even contest winners, and I can pick out 10 things I don't like about them, that are unrealistic, or don't look exactly like the real thing, or are a little crooked. But I still enjoy looking at them. I still enjoyed the hell out of researching them, and building them, and adding detail to them, and finishing them. And that's what this is about. Enjoying yourself while building a model. No, you probably couldn't see the HUD symbology in 1/48 scale. But you also wouldn't be able to read the "NO STEP" markings all over an F-15 flying by you. And please, I know this is a model forum, but you're banging your head against a brick wall over a decal that would be on a part that's about 0.02 square inches, that no one even makes.