Eric

NICE build…….I look forward to reading about this in AMW……..Its one of those kits on my radar and I have got all the AM to go with it too.

An interesting mix of ordnance on there too if I may so……I don't think i've seen quite a variety but, then again, the USMC were/are known for catering to the various demands for CAS etc !. I recognize most - I think those are zuni rockets but what are the silver colored cylindrical items on the centerline - napalm ?

Like I say, a very nice build of which you should be justifiably proud.

Mark

Eric

NICE build…….I look forward to reading about this in AMW……..Its one of those kits on my radar and I have got all the AM to go with it too.

An interesting mix of ordnance on there too if I may so……I don't think i've seen quite a variety but, then again, the USMC were/are known for catering to the various demands for CAS etc !. I recognize most - I think those are zuni rockets but what are the silver colored cylindrical items on the centerline - napalm ?

Like I say, a very nice build of which you should be justifiably proud.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Hehe...yup, the ordnance load is an attention-getter but is not unusual for a USMC bird as you noted. I had an idea what I wanted to hang and made sure it was a realistic configuration. Two of my references (Squadron/Signal "USMC Phantoms in Combat" and Osprey's "US Marine Corps Phantom II Units of the Vietnam War") show this and similar loads.

You're right, those are Zuni tubes on the inner pylons and the silver items are Mk, 77 napalm bombs.

Cheers,

Eric

Nice model, good job with the decalling! Would you share the source of those LAU-33 Zuni launchers? I'm planning a model which has them as well and I'm wondering where best to get them (or scratch build them). Hasegawa F-8 kits and Cobra Company resin are on my list of choices so far...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Nice model, good job with the decalling! Would you share the source of those LAU-33 Zuni launchers? I'm planning a model which has them as well and I'm wondering where best to get them (or scratch build them). Hasegawa F-8 kits and Cobra Company resin are on my list of choices so far...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffey,

Thank you! Certainly - the Zuni tubes came from the first on your list, a 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E.

By the way, if you look closely, you'll see I used a pair of your MB Mk H5 seats. :-)

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Larson

Thank you! Certainly - the Zuni tubes came from the first on your list, a 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E.

Did you just glue them to the LAU-7 Sidewinder launch rails or did you use the F-8 rails as well?

By the way, if you look closely, you'll see I used a pair of your MB Mk H5 seats. :-)

:thumbsup:/>/>

Jeffrey,

A really rock solid build of a excellent kit. I recently completed my F-4B (picture of it is below my signature), and used the kit decals like so many others. Your decision to go with the Furball decals just makes it stand out even more. And yes, your loads out really is quite different, and a real eye catcher.

Congratulations on your up coming feature build article.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Jeffrey,

A really rock solid build of a excellent kit. I recently completed my F-4B (picture of it is below my signature), and used the kit decals like so many others. Your decision to go with the Furball decals just makes it stand out even more. And yes, your loads out really is quite different, and a real eye catcher.

Congratulations on your up coming feature build article.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thank you for those kind words! But my name's not Jeffrey. :)

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Larson
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...