Josh does excellent work! I need to get back to my 1:144 Saturn I build using his engines. I messed up the first set of H-1 engines by not painting them right after sanding off the frosting (the frosting comes back!). I ordered a second set, I just need to prep and paint them.

And I know what you mean about too many irons in the fire! I'm juggling about 5 different model builds right now (and getting very little done)!

There is a 1/70 tank fairing on Shapeways that might work better https://www.shapeways.com/model/1441722/saturn-1b-tank-fairing-1-70th-scale.html?li=search-results&materialId=62

You're right, that might be easier ... the thing that caught my eye was the Rocketry CNC faring was only $7.50.

After doing “inventory” of my raw materials ... I've got enough 3.75" inch tube to make the S-IVB and interstage ... an extra Dragon Apollo Spacecraft (LES/BPC/CSM/SLA/IU) … so I’m kind halfway there, eh? Just need to get the tubing for the first stage, the adapter and the 3D printed H-1s.

Or I could just keep working on all the other stuff. :)

I thought about the same project when I first opened the Saturn V model. But I can't justify the cost at this time that it would take to create one. I for one hope you decide to do it. I think it would be an awesome model.

Bill

I'm currently working on a Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B I started a couple years back (doing it up as the Skylab 3 launch vehicle). Either this or the Apogee kit would make a good basis for such a replica given that the scales are so close. In my case, I am building mine for flight, so it will use slightly oversized fins. But I still plan to cram as much detail onto it as possible and I might use a Dragon BPC and LES on top for when I'm not flying it.

These H-1 engines will come in VERY handy as I was hoping to do it up with some engines for display.

The hope that Dragon would continue their range of manned boosters to include a 1/72 Saturn 1B is part of the reason I have supported a lot of their real space efforts with purchases on my part. I am pessimistic that it will be 100% out of the box but at the very least I hope it would be a better detailing basis than the Saturn V as a lot of its major errors are below the SIVB and I can see Dragon trying to use the upper stack straight out of the Saturn V box.

Still want a 1/72 "Clusters Last Stand" for my stash!

Cheers

Tony

• 5 years later...