Hi

Underside RAL 9006 White aluminium (Xtracolor X252) and tanks RAL 2005 Leuchtorange (X253). I have these paints but I am not sure of the current availability.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

The correct colour of the under surfaces is as mentioned in the first reply RAL9006 Weissaluminium. Over time the surface dulled down and took on a light Grey appearance.

Xtracolor have it misquoted as RAL9001.

From what I have read and seen the underside of the German F-104 was grey but!! It faded very fast that it did turn into shades of aluminum.wink.gif

I'm trying to figure out how grey paint would turn into aluminum...

RAL 9006 is a light grey color, filled with fine aluminium particles. Brand new it looks similar to anodized aluminium. If the bonding is not sufficient, the particles can be wiped away - the remaining is just grey.

i can acquire model master and tamiya paints. what would be a close match for ral2005?

and another question. whats that beige/skin color on the fuselage right before the rear canopy?

thanks!

1. Approximately FS 28915. Your basic fluorescent orange.

2. It's fiberglass. It's fiberglass colored.

RAL 9006 is a light grey color, filled with fine aluminium particles.

Sorry, but that is simply wrong. 1000 grams of RAL 9006 contains 950 grams of silver paint, 6,4 grams of white, 8,6 grams of black and 50 grams of (transparent) additive.

Edited by JayBee

Sorry, but that is simply wrong. 1000 grams of RAL 9006 contains 950 grams of silver paint, 6,4 grams of white, 8,6 grams of black and 50 grams of (transparent) additive.

White + black = Grey + silver (i.e. aluminium particles)- what's wrong?

From what I have read and seen the underside of the German F-104 was grey but!! It faded very fast that it did turn into shades of aluminum.wink.gif

I'm trying to figure out how grey paint would turn into aluminum...

You have to use light irony grey paint and mix things up thoroughly...

RAL 9006: White aluminium paint, ageing and dulling into dirty light grey.

Furthermore shades of grey were morally utterly unacceptable during the 70es.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by PeepingBear

The orange also weathered extremely fast, so you can apply this color full strength or cut it with flat white for a faded, blotchy look.

Weathered DayGlo Orange changes into a wild cloudy variety of full colour orange - yellow - off white. I would rather not mix the orange for an overall lighter tint but spray an irregular pattern of thinned yellow or white over the uncut DayGlo.

Naturally the weathering is strongest on sun exposed surfaces. Photos on the WWW help getting a feeling for the realy look.

HTH

Ian