Blue Angels Cockpit Photos?

Hey, all. I'm starting work on an F-18 and I plan on doing it up as Blue Angel 6. I know the Blues have a few modifications to their cockpits, including the stopwatch, inverted fuel pump switches, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has any detailed photos of a Blue's cockpit. TIA.

I don't have pics but I do have a set of the instruction sheet from the Yellowhammer decal sheet, all the various mods are pointed out on it with graphics.

I'd have to scan it and email or just mail you a copy if you want. One of the more prominent mods is a big stop watch just in front of the HUD.

Edited by 82Whitey51

That'd be fantastic, Whitey! We're about to PSC from Japan to Jacksonville so mailing would be a nightmare! If you can, just go ahead and email them to me at jj_guerra@yahoo.com. Thanks, bud!

That'd be fantastic, Whitey! We're about to PSC from Japan to Jacksonville so mailing would be a nightmare! If you can, just go ahead and email them to me at jj_guerra@yahoo.com. Thanks, bud!

No prob. I'll do it tonight when I get home from work.

Got the email. Thanks, buddy! Just curious, have you used the Yellowhammer decals, and if so, how did you like them?

The Yellowhammer decals, in my opinion, are the go to decals for Blues F/A-18s. The sheet depicts the "A" models from the 1996 50th Anniversary season but you can use that sheet as the basis for doing any F/A-18A or "C", just swap out the crew names and Bureau Numbers from other sheets as you wish but the basic Blues markings are the best I've ever used. You get zero bleed through (yellow decals over dark blue...) on even the smallest and finest lines such as on the "Blue Angels" script or crew names.

I've built a couple of Blue Angel jets and that's the sheet I've always used. For the yellow on the wing tips, tails and stabilizers, I typically shoot those areas with yellow (FS13655) and then mask them off prior to painting the blue.

• 1 month later...

Gents,

I was able to finally get a hold of a few pics of the Blues cockpit modifications from a good buddy, Jamal "Spins" Ingram. Any and all credit for these pics goes to him.

Cockpit Overview:

Overview.jpg

Inverted Fuel Pump Lights:

InvertedPumpLights.jpg

Stopwatch:

Stopwatch.jpg

Inverted Fuel Pump Switch / Smoke System Annunciators:

Pump-SmokeSystem.jpg

Edited by Micro
  • 5 years later...

Even though this is an old thread, I  thought this might be interesting to some.  They were posted on Instagram by Navyblueangel2 and Navyblueangel4, a couple of good follows if you are on Instagram.  Check out the condition of these cockpits.  Now if we could get @norbert to get us some Blue's Pilots....

c9NkvLsl.png

Lw5wwHjl.png

0rQTF4Kl.png

The tape on the joy stick is for grip and not to hold it together.

The tape is electrical tape and is very "stretchy" and sticky, it provides great grip.

IIRC, the BA fly without gloves so the tape provides grip that gloves would normally provide.

13 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

The tape on the joy stick is for grip and not to hold it together.

The tape is electrical tape and is very "stretchy" and sticky, it provides great grip.

IIRC, the BA fly without gloves so the tape provides grip that gloves would normally provide.

He mentions in the comments that it also makes the stick bigger and easier to hold

On 8/5/2014 at 7:26 AM, Micro said:

Hey, all. I'm starting work on an F-18 and I plan on doing it up as Blue Angel 6. I know the Blues have a few modifications to their cockpits, including the stopwatch, inverted fuel pump switches, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has any detailed photos of a Blue's cockpit. TIA.

If you want, shoot me a PM. I got to go out back in the restoration area of the National Naval Aviation Museum a year or so ago and I got to photograph one of the Blue Angels Hornets in detail, including the cockpit.