Dual Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle

Hello Mike,

I have been following your report for some time with great excitement and admire your attention to detail and your impressive skill. speak_cool.gif

Now I have found this stunning shot in the NSF Forum (L2), which shows a detail from an incredible 300 megapixels image from the Atlantis exhibition. :wacko: Maybe I can post the whole picture, but it's only 16 MB (24620x9736).

HWvKNI.jpg

Source: nasaspaceflight.com (Naito)

Here this place is again at a higher magnification.

a0a0VQ.jpg

The only question is, is there a tile, or a AFRSI blanket? I would almost suspect a black tile, but I'm not sure. Either way, this place in the TPS Atlantis is damaged in any case. :woot.gif:

But as far as I know, you build a Discovery (STS-109?) That's why I compared other images of the Discovery, but there is at this point a white spot.

Then you need to correct nothing. :thumbsup:

BTW, this is the whole Mega image.

0VU5c0.jpg

:wave:

Those are really good pictures, Manfred. I think Crowe-T is right. That damaged piece looks to be a small portion of the AFRSI. Although it's too damaged to tell.

This particular build is based off of Atlantis (STS-135). Therefore, these pictures are a very good reference.

The other 1/72 build is Columbia (STS-109). That was the first flight after the last overhaul that included the addition of the "Meatball" NASA logo and the ships name on the wing. And also the last completed successful mission.

Thanks for the compliments.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. It has been a while since I've posted an update on the shuttle. A friend of mine is joining the Marine Corps (Semper Fi!) to fly the F/A-18 Hornets. He begins OCS in January and I have been spending time building a 1/48 Super Hornet for him as a form of motivation and to remind him not to give up.

Shuttle121800x600_zps555c637a.jpg

What I would like to do is make some custom decals with his name and a potential "call sign" to place under the window. And I don't think an ink jet printer would be sharp enough to be able to read his name.

Any of you decal makers that use a laser printer hook a fellow modeller up?:rolleyes:/>/>

As for the shuttle....

When I got done applying the paint on the cabin, I noticed that the payload bay doors did not align properly with the fuselage and the top of the cabin. Apparently this is a problem with the Monogram models. So I had to cut out the doors and place a tube in the center of the fuselage to straighten things out.

Shuttle120800x600_zps4aa6695d.jpg

Shuttle119800x600_zps37d04b8b.jpg

I also had to do some filing and sanding on some of the edges to help with the realignment. It seems to have worked. Now I have to glue it back together and will probably let it set for a while as I finish with the Super Hornet. Then I plan on getting back to Columbia. The other 1/72 shuttle that is trailing behind Atlantis with the tiles.

:salute:/>/>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again all!!

After a short break from the space shuttle builds and finally completing the Super Hornet, I'm back at it again.

When I got done with the AFRSI on Atlantis, I needed a break from the intense work of the detail and now she's been shelved for a bit. So, it's back to Columbia.

Well, as you all know, I have completed the vertical stabilizer with the SILTS pod, HRSI, LRSI, and AFRSI. I have now decided to move towards the front of the vehicle. Months ago, I cut and filed out the holes that the Reaction Control Thrusters are located.

Shuttle122800x600_zps1ce3fad3.jpg

The plan is to make these areas look as like they do when they are open and do not have plugs in them. So what I have done is take some tube styrene and cut pieces at an angle. Then I have capped the ends by gluing styrene to the ends.

Shuttle123800x600_zps16852c5c.jpg

After the glue dries completely, I will place the nozzles in the front holes and glue them in.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!:santa:/>/>

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!!! It has been a few months since I've posted my progress on my shuttles. But life (sometimes) just gets in the way. And my plate is full.

But for now, I'll continue to crawl along to get these two models completed. That way I can start on my next project. Meanwhile...I've been keeping an eye on some of your guys' projects and I have to tell ya, I'm impressed. The launch pad, the lunar modules and all of the other projects are outstanding.

As for mine...Columbia is a very slow and had been a bit challenging at times and I've kind of ran into a wall with the forward Reaction Control Systems. But I may have found away to complete them.

I have used a mixture of styrene tubes and milliput to create the nozzles...

Shuttle1241024x768_zpsffeba481.jpg

The above picture shows the styrene tubes installed in the hollowed holes where the thrusters are located.

Below shows the milliput filling the holes and sculpted into the cone shape that tubes display.

Shuttle125768x1024_zpsd7385965.jpg

The 3 front ports have also been filled with milliput and sculpted. But I'm going to wait until the sides are done before I display photos.

I'm still working on both orbiters and it's going to be a project that is going to take time because of other responsibilities that I have taken on. But I will keep you all in on it and you guys keep up the great work on your projects.:thumbsup:/>

Mike

Looks good, Mike! I was wondering why you didn't go the Milliput route from the start. Way easier than messing with pipes!

Which gets me to thinkin', the forward RCS could be a beanie cap 2.0....

Keep up the good work!

Looks good, Mike! I was wondering why you didn't go the Milliput route from the start. Way easier than messing with pipes!

Which gets me to thinkin', the forward RCS could be a beanie cap 2.0....

Keep up the good work!

Good question. The way the tubes are equally round made more sense then trying to sand and shape the milliput. Once I got the tubes glued in, it was easy to stuff the putty in the holes then use a tool to work the putty in the areas that I needed.

A beany cap with RCS? Hmmm.:hmmm:/> Maybe we could talk Dutycat into something since he came up with the original for the 1/72 models.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.:wave:/>/>

Once again, it's been awhile since I've posted an update on these shuttles. The last few days I've been able to work on finishing the RCS thrusters using a mixture of sytrene tubes and milliput.

As you can see, it came together quite well. There are some touch up sanding that I will have to do before I apply the tiles.

Shuttle%20127%201024x768_zpsdhx8tcxb.jpg

Shuttle%20126%201024x768_zpsnlsb4zwa.jpg

Additionally, I drilled holes and filed the star trackers as well as placing styrene backing behind it.

Shuttle%20128%201024x768_zpsggz1kcul.jpg

Once I got done with the RCS ports, I went ahead and start working on the windows. If you can recall earlier in the build, I had put together a set of windows with a combination white, clear, and black styrene.

Shuttle%20129%201024x768_zpswa7i1czu.jpg

As you can see, I had to do some test fitting. So I used an old cap from the other 1/72 orbiter that was replaced by Duty Cat's beany cap. I had to figure out how I'm going to put this thing together.

For fitting puposes, I had to cut pieces and file out the window sockets for the new windows to fit. I also used the cockpit as a backing to hold the windows in place.

Shuttle%20130%201024x768_zps50ybz6e8.jpg

Shuttle%20131%201024x768_zpsdtb9uewv.jpg

Shuttle%20132%201024x768_zpsfcxeygfw.jpg

I am quite pleased!:yahoo:/>/> It fits together better than I thought it would. Now I have to modify the orbiter.

As I was fitting the windows, I noticed that the outer edge of the window sockets are not aligned with the window.

Shuttle%20133%201024x768_zpskph3wwdr.jpg

So I came up with a way to possibly fix this problem.

Shuttle%20134%201024x768_zpslnclujnd.jpg

Milliput is a wonderful product. Here's where I will leave off for the time being. After the milliput dries, I will do some serious shaping that way the window frames will line up with the Monogram molding.

Until next time.:salute:/>/>

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

The windows look great!

Did you cut the frames out by hand?

I had noticed on a Monogram kit I have that the middle windows are a bit wider then they should be. Your windows look very accurate so that explains why they aren't lining up.

Mike.

Hello all!!! I do apologize for not posting any recent pictures of the orbiters. But I have just been super busy, which is a good thing. I haven't really done much to the big boys for a bit for the detailing has worn me out a bit and I've been tinkering with another 1/144 build to replace one that fell into the hands of my 7 year old boy.

But here are a few photos of the windows with them glued in and the use of milliput as a filler...

Shuttle%20136%201024x768_zpspcwqkqkb.jpg

Shuttle%20135%201024x768_zpsx7phcbs3.jpg

Shuttle%20137%201024x768_zpsmnna5x7x.jpg

As you can see it the milliput made a mess, but sanding and filing it has started to give it its correct shape. But it's a lot of work. Especially getting around the edges.

Eventually I'll get back to it and get some more updates.

Mike

What type of tubing did you use for the RCS thrusters?

I used regular tube styrene in various sizes. Then filled it with milliput and shaped it before it sat.

Hi Mike,

The windows look great!

Did you cut the frames out by hand?

I had noticed on a Monogram kit I have that the middle windows are a bit wider then they should be. Your windows look very accurate so that explains why they aren't lining up.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

I actually got the windows from johnlove_mk_II. He came up with a way to make the flightdeck and windows using his CNC machine. His windows came out pretty good and he sent me a set to use. I would have used Duty Cat's beany cap again, but I wanted to try this with a different approach.

I had to make a few adjustments where the middle windows were off by filling it and line it up with the window inserts. Right now I'm working on shaping those areas under the window frames.

It's a little work, but I'm sure it will turn out just as good as replacing the whole cap.

Mike

Mike,

With the windows installed it doesn't look like a Monogram shuttle anymore. It looks accurate! :thumbsup:/>

Keep the updates coming.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t