A sad end to a young man

You hear every day about the disasters in peoples lives, and most everyone knows about the dangers of illicit/street drugs, but when you know a person it happens to; it hits a little harder. One of my best friends son had such an end early this morning. He Overdosed on street drugs. I've known him since he was 8 years old; now gone at 32. He had problems that his family tried to help him out of, but the first step in getting the help you need is admitting to yourself that you do indeed have a problem you need help with. Denial in any amount or form will derail the effort of all involved. When your family gets a phone call from a coroner, automatically it's not good, the best one can hope for is it's a mistake, but someone will get bad news. I look at my son who's the same age and thank God, he didn't go down the same path. I'll include him and his family in my prayers, that they come thru this as easy as possible, as no death in any family is easy to deal with. If you so choose I would ask for prayers for his soul and for solace for his Mom, dad and siblings.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

You hear every day about the disasters in peoples lives, and most everyone knows about the dangers of illicit/street drugs, but when you know a person it happens to; it hits a little harder. One of my best friends son had such an end early this morning. He Overdosed on street drugs. I've known him since he was 8 years old; now gone at 32. He had problems that his family tried to help him out of, but the first step in getting the help you need is admitting to yourself that you do indeed have a problem you need help with. Denial in any amount or form will derail the effort of all involved. When your family gets a phone call from a coroner, automatically it's not good, the best one can hope for is it's a mistake, but someone will get bad news. I look at my son who's the same age and thank God, he didn't go down the same path. I'll include him and his family in my prayers, that they come thru this as easy as possible, as no death in any family is easy to deal with. If you so choose I would ask for prayers for his soul and for solace for his Mom, dad and siblings.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I was just reading about Carroll O'Conner's son who died at the same age after battling drugs.

If it were in my power, I'd hang every drug dealer. My heartfelt condolences!

Dealers are in business because people are buying. Hang one and another will be in his place 5 minutes later. Supply and demand.

It's truly a tragic problem. I've seen good people with promising careers and families flush it all because they can't do without their pills or dope.

Sad...

Yes, I've seen that happen as well. One of the saddest cases was watching how one drug-addicted alcoholic business owner treated his son. One of the most noticeable characteristics of his addiction was creating a totalitarian chaos that he expected everyone else to conform to when he was around. When the abuser was no longer popping pills or drinking, there are other sadistic ways the addiction revealed itself, such as physical or verbal abuse, bullying kids, and creating a work environment that sabotaged other employees' work.

This is always a sad, maybe even preventable situation Greywolf. There is mounting evidence suggesting that the anti-drug ads, strict law enforcement and fears about mandatory drug testing actually make it harder to identify and recover drug addicts. The logic is that once a user realizes their addicted, the threat of losing a career prevents the usser from seeking counseling or time off of work for treatment. Also, strict law enforcement for what is essentially a medical problem creates more a disciplined drug user who learns to hide their use. Harsh sentencing often does more damage to families then good, and doesn't promise to reform or recover an addict because drug use in prison is statistically three times higher than it is in the free world -- and this is right under the noses of law enforcement.

After writing that I hate to seem as if I've trivialized the grief of those who are suffering the loss of this young adult. Just know that your loss, the family's loss, and the losses of many other similar people are in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers.

Edited by Exhausted

I have known others who are Marijuana smokers every since I've left home to join the USAF, maybe it's my respect for myself, LE, or whatever, but I've never indulged in anything other than a beer, or occasional scotch, which doesn't make me any better. I just take solace in the fact that I've never went to street drugs, FWIW, not much really. In my early adulthood years Mary jane, LSD, Cocaine, even heroine was around; I saw and heard what it did to others and knew that was not for me. It leaves me dumbfounded how illicit drug use is higher in penal institutions where it should be non-existent; it says a lot about how that branch of LE performs or doesn't perform it's duties. Back to OP, his father also a 'nam vet, never went to the street drugs, his mom worked hard and they both did their best to provide the kind of life most of us want for ourselves and our kids, how he got into that side of life to me is an ultra befuddling mystery. Thanx to all who have sent up prayers for his soul and a peace that eluded him in the latter part of his life. I say that because those who are at peace with themselves, never go beyond normal means or avenues to find a calm, peace and happiness. I'm not sure that really conveys what I mean....my thoughts are somewhat jumbled at this time.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Without sounding nostalgic, because I'm in my late twenties, I have a lot of respect for the 'Nam generation. They are a tough bunch that we are too pampered to envy. Even though I volunteered a few years back, I hated the thought of being drafted but the 'Nam generation overwhelmingly met the call to defend another country's human rights when their own at home were constantly in question. It's not just what ya'll lived through, but also what you made happen for us. I grew up in a time where no one ever could have known (unless they were told) that racial prejudice had ever been an issue or that our schools hadn't always been cutting edge. America has always had a space program since I've been alive, and my grandfather helped from Mission Control. There are a lot of reasons we see the world different than you, but we love our privilege as much as anyone ever could.

Edited by Exhausted

Very tragic news indeed......so many drugs are first considered harmless recreational drugs...that quickly turn into an out of control addiction.

In my life I have met a number of people that became addicted to drugs and in the end each of them had their life ruined by drugs. So from my point of view.....not getting involved with drugs seems to be the best way to avoid misery in life.

Crystal meth is called "Shabu" in Asia and so many people there think it is a harmless party drug....but once they get hooked.....it is a quick trip downhill....and the outcome is horrific.

Clif.

I am very sorry that a once young, vibrant, fun loving kid turned into a troubled young man and now hesis gone.

MY sincerest condolences for your best friend's loss and you have lost a good person who unfortunately succumbed to the demons.

Sometimes people who see their parents go thru trauma or in this case see and know that like you; your best friend is Vietnam War Veteran. Those connected to your best friend who didn't go to War will not ge able to cope with what they hear and ARE MORE LIKELY to dwell upon it ..

I am not saying that anyone who went to war forgets but certain people { non veterans like ordinary people } who hear these things cant and as a direct result they "transfer" their grief and troubles abd problems on to what they hear. .

they transgress their troubles and this gives them more

Reason to continue to harm themselves and ARE UNABLE to talk about it and so continue to abuse themselves with hard core drugs. ...alcohol...self harm. ..self pity...yes that too. ...until they feel that their mindsis settling down to accept what they heard; saw, did; but They WONT ACCEPT that what they heard saw etc DIDN'T HAPPEN TO THEM. .

So its possible apart from your best friend's son knowing what his Father went through and using that to "transfer" to his own issues that to him taking lethal doses of drugs would "clear" his thoughts. .

But alas I have seen so many think this and sadly pass away..

Clif I will say a prayer for the young man ...may he find peace and rest which eluded him here. .

rest in peace young man

Prayers to his parents and family too.

all MY best to you too Clif.