Acrylic Craft Paint

Has anyone ever tried using Acrylic Craft type paint on a model. I'm referring to the stuff they sell at Michael's and Hobbylobby. Ceramacote is one brand. They offer a lot of different shades of gray's and green and other colors. Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried using Acrylic Craft type paint on a model. I'm referring to the stuff they sell at Michael's and Hobbylobby. Ceramacote is one brand. They offer a lot of different shades of gray's and green and other colors. Any thoughts?

I used Ceramacote quite often. I mainly use it for small details, but I have airbrsuhed (black) a few times. I've used Future and Windex to thin it with Windex working the best.... Google: "Airbrushing ceramcoat" and you'll get a boat load of threads re it.

I've also heard Ceramacote works well, but haven't used it. Some craft paints may contain coarser pigment, which means a thicker coating that can obscure detail. However, something called "Ceramacote" appears to be intended for painting on glass and glazed pottery, which would require finer pigment.

Have to try the stuff, someday.

I have never used Cermacote, but when i first started out modelling i used regular craftt paints and they are not suitable for modeling, except with small parts, or some metallic colors. Like Triarius said, they have a much coarser pigment which gives it a rough surface and covers fine to medium surface detail if it is not thinned correctly. Most of them also dont have a plastic binder, which model paints have that bonds the paint to plastic.

I have never used Cermacote, but when i first started out modelling i used regular craftt paints and they are not suitable for modeling, except with small parts, or some metallic colors. Like Triarius said, they have a much coarser pigment which gives it a rough surface and covers fine to medium surface detail if it is not thinned correctly. Most of them also dont have a plastic binder, which model paints have that bonds the paint to plastic.

I've used some on anime figure models, which don't have fine detail to obscure. You have to use lots of thinner to airbrush them, and they have poor adhesion, even to primer, so masking is difficult.

I've airbrushed it. To thin it, I poured some Liquitex Airbrush medium into a small cup about 60% full. I then took a craft stick and added a small amount of craft paint to the mix until I got it about the consistency of 2% milk. I fine tuned the mixture with Testors Acryl universal thinner until it was thin enough to airbrush.

2013-09-28230548.jpg

Durability may be an issue, but I was using it to weather a auto chassis so it worked nicely.

2013-11-14172427.jpg

2013-11-15153911.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's a lot of work, but yes, it can be done. It works better if you run the thinned paint through a filter, too, like one from Micro Mark. That gets the coarser pigments out and leaves you with a decent sprayable paint. I find mixing future in gives it enough "bite" to stick to plastic.