Hopefully it's not too early to start a thread on the upcoming season. I'm actually headed out this PM to watch the Patriots and Eagles at open practice.

Should be a great 2014 season, especially in the AFC. It will be interesting to see how my Patriots stack up against Denver. My take is that the Pats are making one last push in the next year or two for a Superbowl. Brady only has a few more decent seasons in him so the window is rapidly closing. They made some good moves over the winter, the best is bringing in Revis. The Patriots have sucked on D but always had the mindset that "who cares about defense when you have Tom Terrific at QB". That hasn't exactly worked out well for them over the last few years. Seattle showed pretty convincingly last year that you win championships with a strong D (and in their case, a mediocre QB). Revis and some other new faces in the secondary should really make a difference. Now if Gronk can stay healthy, the Patriots may actually make something of the season. Still don't think they will go all the way but they should be a stronger team this year as compared to the last few.

We'll see how Talib works out with Denver. I think getting rid of him was a smart move, lot's of potential but a truly disturbing track record with regard to injuries in big games.

Also, wanted to register my disgust with the NFL over the pathetic 2 game suspension given to Raven's Ray Rice for beating his then-girlfriend unconscious and dragging her by her hair out of hotel elevator. They suspend players much longer for PED issues, for entire seasons over pot issues but I guess when you nearly kill someone, it's all fun and games. Raven's coach Harbaugh chimed in that he thought the entire issue was "no big deal". Way to take the high road Coach, stay classy.

Lastly, also wanted to register my disapproval on the new rules that are going to further limit pass defenders. I think this year we are going to have a more time spent dealing with yellow flags then we will playing the game.

Edited by 11bee

Never too early for a football thread! Im extremely excited for this season. I think the NFC west is gonna be hard to beat. Rams have showed some serious defense potential and look to be even better this year, Arizona is on the rise (only team to beat Seattle at home since 2011) 49rs have great offense and defense, and then there's obviously Seattle. Seattle has made a lot of moves this off season, mostly due to so many players being young and free agents, so there has been significant changes. But they still retain the depth through 1st 2nd and 3rd string players. This is why when a player was hurt or suspended (Brandon Browner), we never really felt it because of the depth of the team.

I feel ya on the suspension issues. It seems pretty fool backwards. You can beat your wife, but its okay, just take some time off. Brandon Browner smokes a little pot and gets banned for life. (Technically he can file for an appeal but first one was denied and he'll be able to appeal again in December.) Micheal Vick goes to prison and still gets to come back. Athletes should be people my children can look up to and aspire to. But instead you have these morons in murder cases (11Bee, you know who im talking about haha) guys shooting themselves in the foot, fighting dogs, and beating their wives. It's lunacy. I think thats why I love Russel Wilson. That is a man that I would love my kids to aspire to and look up to.

Edited by Lancing_Prowler
We'll see how Talib works out with Denver. I think getting rid of him was a smart move, lot's of potential but a truly disturbing track record with regard to injuries in big games.

luckily Revis has never had injury problems

Also, wanted to register my disgust with the NFL over the pathetic 2 game suspension given to Raven's Ray Rice for beating his then-girlfriend unconscious and dragging her by her hair out of hotel elevator. They suspend players much longer for PED issues, for entire seasons over pot issues but I guess when you nearly kill someone, it's all fun and games. Raven's coach Harbaugh chimed in that he thought the entire issue was "no big deal". Way to take the high road Coach, stay classy.

0. The Patriots had a player ACTUALLY kill someone, rather than the nearly.

1. Its the Ravens

2. Bill Belicheck actively courted a married woman and had an affair with her. The patriot way.

3. Its time to accept that a lot of the teams, and players are some shady, and near-sighted individuals, all teams have their scum bags, and the NFL is very committed to protecting its image, lest you one day decide you are sick of watching a bunch of guys give each other brain damage for millions of dollars, while some very questionable officiating (especially the PI calls) is used to further cause doubt about the fairness/ validity of the game in the first place.

Lastly, also wanted to register my disapproval on the new rules that are going to further limit pass defenders. I think this year we are going to have a more time spent dealing with yellow flags then we will playing the game.

Its going to be wonderful. I can never have enough inconsistent refereeing that decides games, and destroys any kind of rhythm, I would type more, but I think we need to run a beer commmercial

. I'm waiting for them to just insert an offical "free throw" line on the 5 YD line, and the defense has to passively stand abreast of the QB while he throws a pass to wide open TE for 6.

I look forward to all kinds of passing and scoring records being broken by QBs you have never heard of until the new rules all but hand cuff defensive play to the bench next to the gator-aide.

0. The Patriots had a player ACTUALLY kill someone, rather than the nearly.

1. Its the Ravens

2. Bill Belicheck actively courted a married woman and had an affair with her. The patriot way.

3. Its time to accept that a lot of the teams, and players are some shady, and near-sighted individuals, all teams have their scum bags, and the NFL is very committed to protecting its image, lest you one day decide you are sick of watching a bunch of guys give each other brain damage for millions of dollars, while some very questionable officiating (especially the PI calls) is used to further cause doubt about the fairness/ validity of the game in the first place.

Sigh... Gotta shake that Pats hatin' thing, save it for when the Cowboys tank again this year.

With regard to your list:

0. Hernandez is in jail. Where is Rice? My guess is that if somehow Hernandez beat the wrap and came back to the NFL, he's probably be suspended for three games, one for each victim. However, if the poor guy got caught with a joint, my goodness, he'd get tossed for the season.

1. Agreed, nuff said about those bums.

2. Last I heard it wasn't illegal to be a playah. Are you suggesting that the NFL should start suspending folks based on bedroom conduct? The Hoodie is a ladies man, he can't help himself.

3. Agreed in full, my beef was with the NFL's penalty system. Just seems a bit skewed but hey, you can't argue with their business plan (so far at least, maybe if a few dozen more ex-stars off themselves or others, you might see a small drop in revenue).

Edited by 11bee

Did you see the video from inside the elevator?.... Nope, neither has anyone aside from the police, prosecutors, the commissioner and a handful of others. Unless that vid is released it is reasonable to assume that there were extenuating circumstances. Which would explain why legal system gave the man a slap on the wrist, so why would Goodell do any worse? "but I guess when you nearly kill someone" sensationalize much?

Sigh... Gotta shake that Pats hatin' thing, save it for when the Cowboys tank again this year.

It has nothing to do with the patriots, and everything to do with the fact that no particular team in the NFL "holds the moral high ground" There is only "bad" and "worse"

With regard to your list:

0. Hernandez is in jail. Where is Rice? My guess is that if somehow Hernandez beat the wrap and came back to the NFL, he's probably be suspended for three games, one for each victim. However, if the poor guy got caught with a joint, my goodness, he'd get tossed for the season.

He probably would, did you know the NFL caught a multiple championship team cheating, and barely gave them a slap on the wrist? Its a very inconsistent system. Fun story though, ever since that team got caught they haven't won another championship, and lost to Eli manning. Twice. (There is some pats hate for ya)

2. Last I heard it wasn't illegal to be a playah. Are you suggesting that the NFL should start suspending folks based on bedroom conduct? The Hoodie is a ladies man, he can't help himself.

Well the phrase you used for the Ravens head coach was "stay classy" That isn't classy, and Bellicheck as we all know exemplifies class as it is. :rolleyes: defending a wife beater vs personally taking someones wife...

3. Agreed in full, my beef was with the NFL's penalty system. Just seems a bit skewed but hey, you can't argue with their business plan (so far at least, maybe if a few dozen more ex-stars off themselves or others, you might see a small drop in revenue).

NFL starting to look extremely paranoid and insecure IMHO. For a multi billion dollar organization with a lot of influence, things are looking shaky.

Well the phrase you used for the Ravens head coach was "stay classy" That isn't classy, and Bellicheck as we all know exemplifies class as it is. :rolleyes:/> defending a wife beater vs personally taking someones wife...

Are you really equating these two infractions? Beating a women senseless is the same a hooking up with a willing participant?

I don't think the Hoodie "took" someone elses wife, unless you are suggesting something much more ominous, I'm guessing the lady in question was totally onboard with things.

Did you see the video from inside the elevator?.... Nope, neither has anyone aside from the police, prosecutors, the commissioner and a handful of others. Unless that vid is released it is reasonable to assume that there were extenuating circumstances. Which would explain why legal system gave the man a slap on the wrist, so why would Goodell do any worse? "but I guess when you nearly kill someone" sensationalize much?

Typical; Just like a wife protecting her husband that just finished beating her (I used to work in an E.R.).

Sounds like you're a Ravens fan so you jump to the defense of the team's player. Nice.

I saw video the stills, and yes, it was brutal. The stills were released when the news first broke and then shortly thereafter they disappeared.

BTW; Born in Baltimore (UMaryland Hospital) and only recognize the Colts as Baltimore's football team.

After the Colts left I became a Raidaaaa's fan.

GO O's!!

Of course there were extenuating circumstances. She back-talked her man so she got a well deserved beat down. It wasn't Ray's fault, the b***** deserved it. How's that, better?

The legal system gave him a slap on the wrist because the victim changed her mind and refused to testify.

By all reports, the lady was beaten to the point of unconsciousness. To me that's one step from nearly being killed but hey, you obviously have your own agenda so I'm not going to waste any more time debating this.

The NFC West is going to be super stacked this year, and I can't wait! I already have a $20 bet going with a couple of 49er fans on the SWAT team at my dad's work that my Rams will either tie or have more wins than them. The Seahawks still concern me, though. Speaking of which, am I the only one that kind of feels bad for Cardinal fans? They're kind of the forgotten team in that division.

Are you really equating these two infractions? Beating a women senseless is the same a hooking up with a willing participant?

John Harbough beat his wife?

Raven's coach Harbaugh chimed in that he thought the entire issue was "no big deal". Way to take the high road Coach, stay classy.

I thought when you said "coach" you meant, the coach. and not Ray Rice who is a Ravens Running Back.

I don't think the Hoodie "took" someone elses wife, unless you are suggesting something much more ominous, I'm guessing the lady in question was totally onboard with things.

When you put it like That it makes it "classy." As long as we want to split moral hairs, John Harbough looks the least worst worse compared to Hoodie and Rice. Just to review, RAY RICE is the guy accused of the wife beating, John Harbough stood up for him, and you said "way to take the high road coach, stay classy". So are we talking about the coach when you say "coach" or is Ray Rice the Ravens coach? What did I miss?

So Stay classy, there Hoodie. You exemplify class and tact on and off the field. And as a Steeler Fan I can't thank the Hoodie enough for the work he did on the browns.

Well, I for one am glad football season is almost here so I don't have to watch the never ending perpetual 11b and TT topic gripe fest.

That must be hell

am I the only one that kind of feels bad for Cardinal fans?

Just the last 25 years for me.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Uh.. yeah. Last I read, every post was discussing issues related to the NFL, it's teams and players.

Sorry, I was mistaken. See Jay Chadleck's post above.

Anyway, I've got my fantasy football draft party coming up soon. Due to a crappy 2013 season, I should have a pretty good pick of QB's.

My wish list is:

1) Manning (with all talented receivers he has, even the likes of Romo or Sanchez could wrack up record setting numbers, plus I think he's still got another year or two before the inevitable decline).

2) Cam Newton (not a huge fan of his team but you can't argue with their approach, I expect him to have a great season this year, including a good number of rushing TD's)

3) Nick Foles (I'm getting beat up on this pick but I just think that Foles is going to have a fantastic season, also Philly's new coach is a big plus as well).

I'm less bullish on some of the established stars like Brees or Rodgers. Even less on Brady. If Tom had a decent receiver corp (meaning if his guys were healthy (Gronk), unincarcerated (you know who) or not lost due to pure stinginess (Welker), he might have a good season. Even if he had the talent downfield, he doesn't have the arm for long passes and just making the short ones isn't a good way to wrack up FF numbers.

Edited by 11bee

I'm less bullish on some of the established stars like Brees or Rodgers. Even less on Brady. If Tom had a decent receiver corp (meaning if his guys were healthy (Gronk), unincarcerated (you know who) or not lost due to pure stinginess (Welker), he might have a good season. Even if he had the talent downfield, he doesn't have the arm for long passes and just making the short ones isn't a good way to wrack up FF numbers.

I don't know why the pats don't try and surround Tom with more talent. Tom can make even an average receiver look great, but look at what happens when they have someone great like Randy Moss or Branch. Its just strange. I get that you want to do more with less, and you don't want to take a cap hit, or get some flashy that won't fit or whatever. Ochocinco by all reports tried but simply couldn't master the offense. I heard he was well behaved while he was there, and they kept him due to his effort but he couldnt get it done. Bill and Tom both said Moss was super smart, and he didn't seem to make too many waves. I just thought that starting about last season there would be a Reciever spending spree with 2 or 3 year contracts as a last chance to use Tom because he is starting to get up there in the age.

Its just odd to me, but thats just one mans opinion, I don't live in NE so I don't have the inside track on any rumors or news or anything there. If the Texans had released Andre johnson, and he went to NE, Oh lord it would be points by the dozens. Instead he gets to stay a Texan, which is pretty cruel.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Also, wanted to register my disgust with the NFL over the pathetic 2 game suspension given to Raven's Ray Rice for beating his then-girlfriend unconscious and dragging her by her hair out of hotel elevator. They suspend players much longer for PED issues, for entire seasons over pot issues but I guess when you nearly kill someone, it's all fun and games.

Found this, had to Lulz

"If you think the Ray Rice suspension was light, just remember Goodell did absolutely nothing when Marshawn Lynch did the same thing to the entire Saints defense in the 2011 Wild Card game."

6uJo.gif

Johnny Football (maybe now known as Johnny Flipoff), through his hard work, talent and professionalism, has secured the QB2 slot with Cleveland. I was hoping he got picked as a starter, just to seem him get crushed in game 1.

My FF draft party is Saturday, gotta start doing some research on this year's picks.

Johnny Football (maybe now known as Johnny Flipoff), through his hard work, talent and professionalism, has secured the QB2 slot with Cleveland. I was hoping he got picked as a starter, just to seem him get crushed in game 1.

Just sayin, its not a bad thing to have the rookie sit and learn. Did you ever hear of this Drew Bledsoe fellow who once started over Tom Brady? In fact Brady was fourth string at the start of his rookie season. No I am not saying Johnny is the next brady, Just mentioning that most rookie QBs do better not being thrown into the fray instantly.

As a Steelers fan though I hope the Browns continue to Browns

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Just sayin, its not a bad thing to have the rookie sit and learn. Did you ever hear of this Drew Bledsoe fellow who once started over Tom Brady? In fact Brady was fourth string at the start of his rookie season. No I am not saying Johnny is the next brady, Just mentioning that most rookie QBs do better not being thrown into the fray instantly.

As a Steelers fan though I hope the Browns continue to Browns

I'm all about having the new guy sit and get some seasoning before taking the helm, that's what the Pats are doing with Brady's heir apparent, Garapollo (sp?), who looks pretty darned good so far. Lots of poise, great throws, smart footwork. He seems to be enjoying himself in the pre-season games. Not that this means very much but it's a promising start nonetheless.

Unlike Johnny..... I just don't like the kid, comes across as a spoiled punk.