And Vermont is much more into men's figure skating, rather than a bunch of ruffians running around trying to concuss each other. I'm not sure the game was even on up there, the only station they have is PBS.

Funny...Vermont. Whenever I hear "Vermont" I think about Howard Dean lecturing us all about diversity...you can't find other than white folks in that entire state.

Anyway, back to football...I'm sitting here watching "NFL Rewind" (which is awesome, full games in 30 minutes) and they are showing the NE v Ravens. Sometimes in all the excitement you forget how you got there. Watching that game again, TWICE NE came back from two touchdown deficits to beat Baltimore by 4 points! And Baltimore had the nerve to come out and say anything about footballs? They blew it as bad as Green Bay did...worse.

The encore of the SB is on at 8 PM if anyone's interested.

The encore of the SB is on at 8 PM if anyone's interested.

I thought I heard that the NFL Network is also running a show on the SB tonight, with the players mic'ed up. I heard some clips on the radio, sounds pretty cool.

I thought I heard that the NFL Network is also running a show on the SB tonight, with the players mic'ed up. I heard some clips on the radio, sounds pretty cool.

Guy?! You're not out at the Parade??!!

(Airing now on NFL Network, live from "Title Town")

I just want to point out that at no time during the SB did Lynch lose yards or was stopped for no gain. Every time he carried it was positive, and often after contact with Pats hanging off him. This points again to the hawks being "overly clever" and mixing it up with the fateful last pass when they didn't need to. Had the pats been stuffing him during the game and showing things that would cause doubt the play call would have made a lot more sense, but they never did.

At no point did the Lynch plan fail, until the hawks decided not to use him despite the pats never stopping for no gain or a loss the entire 4 quarters. the only people who could stop lynch that game were on the Seattle sideline, and they did a marvelous job. :bandhead2:

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Guy?! You're not out at the Parade??!!

maxresdefault.jpg

This was us on Monday:

3mTOKvZ.jpg

Pete Carroll's reaction for those that haven't seen it:

It's also nice to see some good posts from people who've been there saying "the call" is defensible.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12277589/criticism-seattle-seahawks-play-call-line-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-says

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/02/super-bowl-49-darrell-bevell-play-call-interception/

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2703224/Kurt-Warner-No-problem-with-Seahawks-call-on-interception-play

It's not as cut and dried as most feel.

I did have to laugh at the Seattle radio station this morning that said, "You gotta hand it to Tom Brady for giving his MVP Chevy to Butler. And you gotta hand it to Marshawn... I mean, you gotta hand it to Marshawn!"

maxresdefault.jpg

This was us on Monday:

3mTOKvZ.jpg

Pete Carroll's reaction for those that haven't seen it:

It's also nice to see some good posts from people who've been there saying "the call" is defensible.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12277589/criticism-seattle-seahawks-play-call-line-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-says

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/02/super-bowl-49-darrell-bevell-play-call-interception/

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2703224/Kurt-Warner-No-problem-with-Seahawks-call-on-interception-play

It's not as cut and dried as most feel.

I did have to laugh at the Seattle radio station this morning that said, "You gotta hand it to Tom Brady for giving his MVP Chevy to Butler. And you gotta hand it to Marshawn... I mean, you gotta hand it to Marshawn!"

No parade for me. We've gotten more snow in the last two weeks as we often get in a full winter. Yesterday the city was in gridlock during PM rush hour, one of the main commuter rail systems went down, etc. I'll probably hit next year's SB championship parade but I'm good for this one :)

I also agree that Carrol can make a case for "the play". His stating that they were just trying to waste the play probably doesn't further his cause but there was some logic behind it. I'm sure he didn't expect Wilson to botch the throw. Hindsight is always 20/20. I still want to hear why the Hoodie decided to burn the clock down without taking a single time out. That call, to me, makes no sense whatsoever.

Besides, according to the tinfoil hat folks, this was all a scam to keep Lynch from getting MVP.

Besides, according to the tinfoil hat folks, this was all a scam to keep Lynch from getting MVP.

Worked well I'd say.

I still think Lynch had not done anything all game that should have caused doubt or hesitation in handing off to him. never lost ground, never fumbled etc. He was rock solid.

I'll probably hit next year's SB championship parade

It's not the most popular time to be a tourist in Seattle, but that means the hotel rates are lower.

I'm sure he didn't expect Wilson to botch the throw.

The thing is that Wilson didn't botch the throw - it was headed right for the numbers. It was a good throw - but the play had already been determined.

I still think Lynch had not done anything all game that should have caused doubt or hesitation in handing off to him. never lost ground, never fumbled etc. He was rock solid.

I'm hoping he's healthy enough to be back next year. There's been questions about his back and he's known for a dead run to the locker room as soon as the game's over for some relief. He's amazing to watch, but I'd like the guy to enjoy his retirement without serious pain.

And in Seattle...

SFvM33m.png?1

Subtitle - I still love you Russel, even though you threw that interception. Want me to post some heartwarming pics of Patriots players with sick kids? Plenty out there to choose from.

Another thing on the question of not running "Beast Mode" (love that tee shirt posted above BTW), a local newspaper pulled up his stats. In plays from the 1 yard line, Lynch only scored approx 50% of the time (might have been a bit higher but not by much). As such, if they ran Lynch and he didn't get over, SEA would have then probably been forced to throw due to the clock and NE would have had a bigger defensive advantage. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about slagging Carroll just because he's the "bad guy" but the more you look into it, the more it becomes apparent that there were some legitimate reasons for that play call.

Plus the entire SEA defense needs to share in the blame. They completely tanked in the 4th quarter. If they were as good as they proclaimed themselves to be, NE never would have regained the lead. NE's receivers were smaller and faster and simply wore the SEA secondary out. It appeared that SEA's pass rush also called it quits in Q4 since Brady had all sorts of time to throw and picked apart the LOB at ease.

Hate on Carroll all you want but save some of that anger for the rest of his team. It was a collective failure, not just one player or one coach.

Edited by 11bee
Want me to post some heartwarming pics of Patriots players with sick kids? Plenty out there to choose from.

Are they teaching them the proper use of the middle finger?

NE's receivers were smaller and faster and simply wore the SEA secondary out.

It's a collective failure as you noted. Look at the time of possession in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Defense is on the field for about five and a half minutes during the third quarter, if I'm reading this right. However, Offense isn't on the field for even a total of five minutes during the fourth quarter, so the defense really doesn't have any time to rest. As you said, they wore the Legion of Boom out by the end of the game. Those short, fast passes were giving the Seahawks trouble from the beginning.

Traditionally the Seahawks have been strongest in the second half; this is when they have wore the opposing team out. It felt like the Seahawks had sort of figured out how to deal with the Patriots in the 3rd but it all unraveled in the end.

*EDIT* I had meant to add that the defense was playing with some big injuries that made it easier to tire out. Earl Thomas had a dislocated shoulder - didn't affect range of motion or strength from what I understand but he had to have been feeling every impact more than usual. Kam Chancellor had a MCL tear and Deep Bone Bruise. There's Sherman's elbow of course, and out loss of Cliff Avril to concussion lead to some interesting stat swings. I don't want to characterize it as just "the D got tired." The were ground down from a long season and tough game.

Edited by Tracy White
C'mon Tracy. This is MA. Kids learn about the middle finger in Driver's Ed.

Drive through Boston at rush hour, you'll see what I mean.

Is that beginning or advanced finger?

Closest I've made it so far was Baltimore. I spend all my east coast time in DC/College Park.

Ahhh then I can see why the reputation of drivers there is so bad! :thumbsup:/>/>/>

The reputation is good, in that the fact that we're so bad around here. :thumbsup: I can't tell you the amount of skill loss that occurs to commuters over a weekend, they come back on Monday's like they've never driven in traffic before.

Edited by zerosystem

New England Patriots - America's Team

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-new-england-patriots-americas-team-20150202

I like that, like it a lot... Could get used to it.... Moving forward, when you folks talk about NE, can you just refer to them as "America's Team"? I'd really appreciate it.

Anyhoo, since this thread will soon be fading away to obscurity (probably not a bad thing), I just figured I'd offer my guess on NFL-2015.

If NE can retain Revis (looking likely at this point), I pick them to win the Super Bowl. From everything we've seen,it looks like Brady has enough in the tank for at least one more season as an elite QB. He may not be throwing any 60 yard bombs but as we saw in the Superbowl, he can easily pick the 2nd best defense in the NFL apart with dozens of 5-10 yard passes. With a few exceptions, the key NE players are under contract for next year. The only one that is iffy is Amendola. A couple of months ago, I'd have said just cut him to save some $ but since then, he's come on strong and seems to have finally made it to Brady's inner circle of receivers. Plus he's pretty darn good on special teams.

On the rest of the AFC -

It seems that Payton Manning is already in his death throes. Even when he was somewhat efficient, Denver just didn't have what it takes. I'd be shocked if they make it past the first round of the playoffs, if they even get that far. Pittsburgh doesn't have what it takes. A good many of their key players are aging and Tomlin is at best a mediocre coach. Indy has potential to get further into the playoffs, Luck is only going to get better over time. The one team I see in the AFC that has some real potential is Baltimore. I personally think the Ravens played NE harder than SEA. They could be the spoilers this season.

NFC

The big question is whether SEA will rebound from this loss and pull it together. If they can, I'd expect to see them go all the way. It seems that they have some issues in the locker room, so Carrol has some work cut out for him.

SF has the talent but seem to be a trainwreck. Detroit has the talent but seem destined to choke every year. Green Bay will be interesting. Probably the 2nd strongest team in the NFC, but Rogers is getting up there in age. As long as SEA has their heads straight, I just can't see anyone beating them. The one wild card is Dallas. I really think they have the potential to go far but like Detroit, they seem to have a habit of choaking. I'd love to see them turn it up this season and give the Hawks a run for championship.

New England Patriots - America's Team

Nice to see they still have their high reporting standards... I guess another retraction is in the works.

"Easily pick apart" is what Seattle did to Denver in Superbowl 48. Brady gave Seattle trouble with his short passes for sure, but it's a stretch to say a game where the Patriots didn't even score in two of the four quarters was one where he "easily" picked apart the Seahawks Defense.

Saw this and went hell no!