Hello,

I finally get to post some progress on this build! It will be the same boxing as this build but this time on the box art's markings.

11794846753_0ddd9cf7a3.jpg

To make this more challenging I will build it in landing configuration. While the air brake is not an issue (provided in the kit), the lowered intakes are quite another story. Wait and see :)

I started with the easiest, the wings! The parts have quite a step if assembled straight from the box, see this build for example.

The trick here is to insert a shim and easy peasy :)This was done simultaneously in Mike's nice build but the other way around (shim on the large part). I think it is easier to glue the shim to the small part as it makes it very accessible for progressive sanding until the perfect thickness is reached.

14876642316_d6af353b57.jpg

And voila!

14899626895_dda3d9732f.jpg

Note that I also lowered the flaps for the landing configuration. Easy enough with a PE saw.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome!

Arnaud

I also replaced the AoA probes with needles, not only is it finer but also much stronger :)

Kit's original representation (looks white on the picture for some reason)

14713094597_6e2cf48288.jpg

Removed, drilled out and needle inserted:

14899627265_9aea8e5a54.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

Some work done on the cockpit. As in my first build I added some shims underneath to ease poisitionning:

14713028688_9bf785b892.jpg

This time I also added the coaming/visor for the guy in the back, using 0.25mm plasticard:

14712994699_2b422144bf.jpg

More work will be done this week end thanks to 15th August holiday :)

Arnaud

Arnaud

I see what you meant with adding the shim for the wings on the other part. Very nice! I also liked the easy way you dropped the flaps and ailerons. I was working on my wings last night and your great photo of your wings motivated me to drop my ailerons also. :thumbsup:/>

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>

I started with the easiest, the wings! The parts have quite a step if assembled straight from the box, see this build for example.

The trick here is to insert a shim and easy peasy :)This was done simultaneously in Mike's nice build but the other way around (shim on the large part). I think it is easier to glue the shim to the small part as it makes it very accessible for progressive sanding until the perfect thickness is reached.

14876642316_d6af353b57.jpg

And voila!

14899626895_dda3d9732f.jpg

Note that I also lowered the flaps for the landing configuration. Easy enough with a PE saw.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome!

Arnaud

Hello,

Over the past week I built the rig to hold the F-15 in the air, close to the ground for landing. I used the same technique as usual, already explained here. Except this time I ran out of resin so I used epoxy glue and bits of thick plasticard:

14995799331_0f185d893d.jpg

Note that I glued the exhausts before I did this to make sure I was not putting the rig in the wrong place.

All questions welcome,

Arnaud

Now time for the big surgery, the angled intakes... The F-15 intakes adjust their angle to optimize air flow and this is particularly visible when landing.

First, note the cutting lines

14812415250_9a40098366.jpg

Then, cut with a PE saw

14976089556_b60c1d9bb5.jpg

Glue the components together

14812547137_847fec1e7c.jpg

Cut plasticard triangles with the right angle. This is the trickiest part: you have to pay attention that the angle is correct and symmetrical. I did this by dry fitting and sanding/cutting.

14812415560_f9bfe2fea5.jpg

Assembly with the fuselage coming soon :)

• 1 month later...

This build is still alive, I just had to undergo some surgery but I will post progress soon :)

One big question I have now is: Take-off or landing? I started with the idea of it landing but I'm worried that the open speedbrake will ruin the line of the bird. Any thoughts?

Arnaud

Depends on your goal. If you want a rugged look, then you can model the plane coming in with a high angle of attack. The open break might might add to the illusion of a heavy and ungainly machine just about to lose lift and land. If you want a more sleek jet look, then yes, maybe do take-off, with the gear partially retracted?

Depends on your goal. If you want a rugged look, then you can model the plane coming in with a high angle of attack. The open break might might add to the illusion of a heavy and ungainly machine just about to lose lift and land. If you want a more sleek jet look, then yes, maybe do take-off, with the gear partially retracted?

Thanks for your input! The retracted gear is in the works ;)